CAI and Ram Air, What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI and Ram Air, What's the difference?

Ok, I know you all think I'm clueless. What's the difference between the two? These things I am definately new to. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-28-2001, 01:35 PM
Banned

Mercury:

Both completely replace your factory intake systems plumbing completely.

Cold Air: consists of an extended tube made of Aluminum, Plastic, Stainless Steel, or Carbon Fiber that run down (usually through the opening of the stock intake plumbing)and down below and/or in front of the engine. Cold Air is denser, less humid and thus gives you a more efficient mixture then hot moist air. This increases in horsepower and throttle responses as the C.A.I. also increases the volume and velocity of air flow.

Short Ram:

A small extension tube made of similar materials as the C.A.I. that clamps onto your stock intake throttle body. It does not maximize the use of cold air as the filter attached is exposed inside the engine bay. You will get the improved air flow and intake velocity w/o the benifit of cold air once the car warms up, or when you are in traffic.

Both offer performance gains, however, most everyone will agree that Honda VTECH engines respond the best to true C.A.I. If you would like some information C.A.I. commonly asked questions and concerns, visit my site at http://www.XephyrPerformance.com/FAQS.htm

Hope this helped

Chris

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 01-28-2001, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mercury:
Ok, I know you all think I'm clueless. What's the difference between the two? These things I am definately new to. Thanks for the explanation.</font>
If you're talking about the RAM air package they have for the SS Camaro/Ws6/Firehawk TA then it's basically the same concept. The difference being the RAM air on these suckers is build into the hood, and have air forcefully pushed into the intake system. Both methos allow for cool air to be injested by the system.

You won't have to worry (very much unless you plan on playing submarine ) with hydrolock with the Ram Air, but then it's more than likely going to be built into your hood. it's good for an additional 15~20 hp on the SS and WS6.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS