Buying new car, 2001 CL-S or 2002 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:51 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying new car, 2001 CL-S or 2002 Maxima?

Well I am looking at both right now. I have doubts about either choice. 2001 CL-S doesn't come in 6-speed but 2002 Maxima does, CL-S 2 door, Maxima 4 door, both have HIDs, both have similar Horses, CL-S looks better but Maxima is not bad either.
I mean, I do love to drive standard and like 4 door cars better. But CL-S looks too good to pass up and it's cheaper too.

I did drive the CL-S couple days ago at the dealer. Maybe I didn't drive enough but it didn't impress me 100%. After I drove the car I was about 65% sure that I want this car. I also drive my brother's 2001 Maxima once in a while (not a 2002 3.5L but a 3.0L), and it seems to be a little swiftier, better response in steering, acceleration and breaking than CL-S. I personally own 1995 Audi 90 right now (5-speed). When I bought it was running very nicely and takes corners great with stock suspension and overall it's much smaller car than CL-S. Maybe I am not used to a bigger car and that's why I didn't like driving the CL-S at first, I mean I am not sure at the moment.

The other thing that bothers me about CL-S is it's huge turning radius (or whatever you call it). With the Audi you can do a 180 in the tightest spots but CL-S seems to be quite sloppier in that area.

So I need some feedback on this. Could you tell me why CL-S would be a better choice insted of the Max. or why it is overall a better car than others in it's class?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:59 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Front wheel drive cars have larger turn radius. I don't like sedans or automatics, get the 03 CLS 6 speed.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:06 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

can't afford 2003, too much money... :o(

I'd be happy to, however my wallet limits my choices. Well I don't think that the fact that it is front wheel drive has to do with the radius, cause my Audi is FWD too.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
man thats a close choice. you just have to decide if you want 4 doors or not. That will be a big factor and if you want to continue to mess with a standard. They are faster obviously - but a big pain with city driving IMO. That is why I wouldnt get a standard unless I was in a real sports car...the new C6 for example. I wouldnt waste the annoyance of a standard on a sedan.

So I would get the CLS - or if you want a 4 door, go get a TLS.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you drive a lot the maxima would be the way to go, not that every tranny fails, but the high numbers would make me think twice about buying the CL.

Wait another year and get the 6speed, I'm sure by then they will be a little cheaper.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Stability control

How does that stability control feature show? is it much better driving the CL-S than the regular CL ? There's nothing like that in the Max...

ok, I think I made up my mind :o) CL-S it is!

Most of my friends and my girlfriend don't drive standard therefore if I am at a party I can designate whoever I want to be the driver and drink all I want :o) if the car is Auto. Anyway.... that and styling/design and speed are the winners. PLus it is a solid car weighting at almost 3500 lbs. Hmmm I wonder how fast it would be with the same engine but weight like Maxima (3150 I think).

Anyway, thanks for responses, but if somebody has more to say, please do.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you need to decide if you want 2 doors or 4 doors. And just incase you do want 4 doors, then you'll have the option of 02TLS or 02 Maxima. I personally think that's more of fair option than comparing 01CLS and 02 Maxima. It's like comparing apple to orange. Yes, both cars produce just about same hps and torque and probably equal resale value. Interior wise, I'm not a big fan of nissan. It seems to lack luxury feeling. Hope you find what u r looking for.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:52 PM
National Champs GO GATORS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 97 Max before my 01 CLS. I loved that car, but the CLS is hands down by far a better car. My wife and I also own an 01 I30 (same as a Max, a little more luxury). and we both prefer the CLS (power, interior, and more looks). It is nice to take the 130 out when we are running errands, but I would def buy the CLS over the 02 Max.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've not had much luck with Nissan reliability....I stay stick with a 6-speed CLS.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I have 200K on my 95 Maxima and it still runs well. They make nice cars, but you're right that the CL looks better. Also, the CL is a much more luxurious car, inside and out. Both are similar in the power department. And they both have faults. Depending on your budget, and if you need it to by manual, I would maybe hold out til you have enough for the 6 speed CL. Either way, I like the CL more than the 2002 Maxima.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:04 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
My dad had a 98 Maxima GXE for about 2 years, then in '02 he traded it in for a new White Diamond Pearl 3.2 TL-P....he kept telling me before he went to pick it up how much he loved the Maxima, and how much of a car it was, and how he was gonna miss it....not even a week into owning the TL i can tell you he LOVED it. Every chance he got he got on it and redlined(mind you this is a 59 yr old)....and he became sad again a few weeks ago when he had to trade in his tl for an '05 LS430....i dont think hes sad nemore :tounge

My brother also had a Maxima. a 96 GXE, as far as i know he really liked that car, he bought an 02 RSX non type S after it and enjoyed it, and about a yr later bought an 02 TL-S.....him too, he loved the TL and tells me he will probably keep it for a while

My philosophy is this bro, if you want some fast times or big power, go for the maxima because it will be easier and cheaper to mod.....if you want luxury, and an everyday fun ass drive w/o spending a dime on mods....CL-S all the way
Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 PM
AVID HATER

Here is my 2 cents.
Maximas = Common
Cl = Rarer
Maximas just lack that sex appeal.
Like if i was naming my CL-S I would call her Natasha or Nasty Nicole.
Maximas look like they should be call Boris.
I'm sorry but in a Max you get no love or affection from the ladies.
In a CL-S i gotta fight them off with a stick. LOL
Hopes you take that in to consideration
Old 04-07-2005, 12:55 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

Kholla, now that is really funny :o)
Boris... never thought about it this way.
And I think CL would definitely qualify for a sexy name. Because it's rare and sexy.

For the CL I'd probably only would go for Tokico Illumina struts and H&R sport springs in terms of future upgrades and nothing more than that. Well... unless I have extra cash to waste of course on the comptech headers and CAI (which adds up to 32 more horsies I believe).

But the sexiest thing of all is having total control with 6-speed manual tranny and handbrake handle right beside the shifter (NOT under my left foot)

the hand brake in the 2001 CL is done in Dodge Caravan style, not cool....
everybody likes to have a little fun in the winter time doing some powerslides, but I think with that kind of handbrake it would almost be impossible to control properly
Old 04-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Banned

???????HUH??????
You do realise that you are asking an Acura forum if you should buy a Nissan or an Acura? Ask a Chevelle club if you should buy a Dart swinger. Don't want to sound rude but YOU DON'T NEED TO CONVINCE ME TO BUY AN ACURA I OWN ONE WHICH IS WHY I JOINED THE FORUM.

Sorry dude couldn't resist
Old 04-07-2005, 06:03 PM
AVID HATER

Originally Posted by belcom
Kholla, now that is really funny :o)
Boris... never thought about it this way.
And I think CL would definitely qualify for a sexy name. Because it's rare and sexy.

For the CL I'd probably only would go for Tokico Illumina struts and H&R sport springs in terms of future upgrades and nothing more than that. Well... unless I have extra cash to waste of course on the comptech headers and CAI (which adds up to 32 more horsies I believe).

But the sexiest thing of all is having total control with 6-speed manual tranny and handbrake handle right beside the shifter (NOT under my left foot)

the hand brake in the 2001 CL is done in Dodge Caravan style, not cool....
everybody likes to have a little fun in the winter time doing some powerslides, but I think with that kind of handbrake it would almost be impossible to control properly
Yeah that does suck @ handbrake
When I first go in I was like WTF. I thought I was driving my Step-Moms 99 CRV. Then I stepped on the pedal and realized that I went to Adrenaline Heaven
Old 04-08-2005, 07:27 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

Chevyjase, Well you're right I did ask the acura forum but... I never owned an acura before and therefore asked the acura crowd for help on deciding. You know... a point here, a fact there.... and I'm convinced. And before I never really even looked into buying one because I thought those car's are too expensive, but now that I see that an acura CL-S is quite affordable for me I got really interested.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Advanced

Buy American , not French Nissan .