bump stops affecting ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 03:21 AM
dynamic Duo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump stops affecting ride quality

well, i noticed that at every meet, my car is a little lower than most other cars also with comptech springs, even with my 18" wheels.
i first decided to install 2000 accord v6 coilovers from ground control... and i went to trust performance in alhambra to have them installed. while doing it though they said that the bump stop would have to removed. so i said fine. after that... MAN! my car was so freakin rough! it was bopping and bouncing all through town! the ride was so rough both my front factory struts bursted. so i got those replaced, got a hold of the comptech springs, which were much better, but i noticed that the ride is still very rough sometimes... like when i hit a pothole, it sounds like i hit a wall or something.

So for those of you also with comptechs, do you notice this too? If you live in LA, you should know what i'm talking about... like when you hit a sewer cap that isn't "level" with the road surface, or a slight pothole in the ground, does it sound like you did 'harm' to the car? or make like a huge 'bang' sound?

i need input... even though the car is a bit lower without the bump stops, i feel that i'm kinda sacrificing the smoothness of the ride, something i kinda want now.

so what is the real truth behind these things? what exactly do they do? is it a serious vital thing to have?

thanks.
Old 08-11-2001, 02:49 PM
Honkey

You should tell your shop that they're not supposed to remove the pumpstop, they're supposed to cut it down. I have mine cut down to about 1/4 inch and the ride is great. The only way your ride would be effected by pulling your bumpstops is if you're low enough where you're able to bottom out the shocks over the bumps...and I can't see that happening with comptechs.
Old 08-11-2001, 07:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally posted by Akim711:
<STRONG>well, i noticed that at every meet, my car is a little lower than most other cars also with comptech springs, even with my 18" wheels.
i first decided to install 2000 accord v6 coilovers from ground control... and i went to trust performance in alhambra to have them installed. while doing it though they said that the bump stop would have to removed. so i said fine. after that... MAN! my car was so freakin rough! it was bopping and bouncing all through town! the ride was so rough both my front factory struts bursted. so i got those replaced, got a hold of the comptech springs, which were much better, but i noticed that the ride is still very rough sometimes... like when i hit a pothole, it sounds like i hit a wall or something.

So for those of you also with comptechs, do you notice this too? If you live in LA, you should know what i'm talking about... like when you hit a sewer cap that isn't "level" with the road surface, or a slight pothole in the ground, does it sound like you did 'harm' to the car? or make like a huge 'bang' sound?

i need input... even though the car is a bit lower without the bump stops, i feel that i'm kinda sacrificing the smoothness of the ride, something i kinda want now.

so what is the real truth behind these things? what exactly do they do? is it a serious vital thing to have?

thanks.</STRONG>

Well i think it s my tires... cuz my friend's black CLS with the same spring as mine... he changed his tires to 40s'and his car is a lil bit lower than mine too ....

TELL THEM TO PUT THE PUMPSTOP BACK ON.
Old 08-11-2001, 11:48 PM
Instructor

You're also getting a shitty ride because you're still using your "factory" struts in your lowered ride. If you install quality adjustable shocks (like the Koni Yellow's), you can tune your suspension to maximize your car's handling while not having your cojones jammed into your throat every time you hit a bump.

More info @ http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=009654