Brembos are here and look great !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembos are here and look great !!!

These brakes are no joke the rotor is only 12.4 inches in diameter but it weighs 12 lbs. The calipers are simply beautiful so professionally painted throughout and weighs 7 lbs. each .I don't know how these compare to the stock calipers and rotors but boy are they nicer than I expected just like the Titanium bar they are bigger and heavier than expected. Pictures doesn't do them justice....are they worth the money only time will tell but my guess HELL YEA.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 03-03-2003, 03:53 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so are you going to wait to put them on your 03?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Banned

can anybody host the pics. I haven't had a chance to get a host can anybody point me to a cheap but quality host for big pics if I need to.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:50 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Bring them on Saturday, I wanna see these Brembos
Old 03-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Sweet as Gold

Picturetrail.com , it's free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 05:48 PM
on bin laden

email me lou,

fbazakos@cs.umn.edu
Old 03-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

Got to see these Lou!
Old 03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Drifting

i can host also...rbui@bui4ever.com
Old 03-03-2003, 06:53 PM
usc
Racer

why just the 12.4" kit and not the 12.9" kit? just curious.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by usc
why just the 12.4" kit and not the 12.9" kit? just curious.
Good question cause I bought them on sale from Comptech and only for that size. The little research that I did emphasized that by going bigger does not necessarily mean better. Comptech has a 12.4 and a 13.1 Brembos application for the Cl-S the 12.9 is what Brembo recommends for our cars. I happen to call Brembo about this at they told me that Comptech is one of their better tuner companies and that Comptech knows what they're doing. I also asked if there would be any imbalance problems and he said no problem whatsoever it will only improve every aspect and to use the stock rotor with upgraded pads for ultimate breaking power.

One thing I must note this is a 4 hour job and will run you a $300-$400 just for installation not including the rears. This is another reason I need to know for sure if Im keeping her or letting her go
Old 03-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fbazakos
email me lou,

fbazakos@cs.umn.edu
you got mail dude.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:32 PM
usc
Racer

well, you'll brake like nobody's business with them, that's for sure.

i'm not too impressed by the quality of brembo's though. i might have been unlucky but the two pairs of rotors i've gotten didn't feel smooth off the bat. it's as if they casted them and slapped it together but didn't take the time to make sure the rotors are true'd and flat. you'd think at $300/rotor, they'd at least give you something smooth. oh well, at least they do improve braking.

Old 03-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by usc
well, you'll brake like nobody's business with them, that's for sure.

i'm not too impressed by the quality of brembo's though. i might have been unlucky but the two pairs of rotors i've gotten didn't feel smooth off the bat. it's as if they casted them and slapped it together but didn't take the time to make sure the rotors are true'd and flat. you'd think at $300/rotor, they'd at least give you something smooth. oh well, at least they do improve braking.

are you kidding me that is one of the hottest setups going are those the lightgram wheels Ive heard about. Damn nice are those the 14" cause they look BIG AS FAWK. they come with a 18 page instruction book Im gonna read very carefully but really nice setup what about the rears stock rotors??
Old 03-03-2003, 07:51 PM
usc
Racer

Originally posted by lou
are you kidding me that is one of the hottest setups going are those the lightgram wheels Ive heard about. Damn nice are those the 14" cause they look BIG AS FAWK. they come with a 18 page instruction book Im gonna read very carefully but really nice setup what about the rears stock rotors??
hehe. it's a long story behind my brakes and even longer story behind the rims. that's a whole different Oprah.

i got the 12.9" kit behind 17" Black Racing Pro N1 rims. the rears are still stock, they look like CD's. but if there were any adverse side-effects resulting from the difference in rotor sizes (between front and rear), i sure as heck didn't feel it.

brake fade is practically nonexistent, and brake feel consistent. but like i said, the rotors didn't feel flat brand new. i was quite disappointed with that.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by usc
hehe. it's a long story behind my brakes and even longer story behind the rims. that's a whole different Oprah.

i got the 12.9" kit behind 17" Black Racing Pro N1 rims. the rears are still stock, they look like CD's. but if there were any adverse side-effects resulting from the difference in rotor sizes (between front and rear), i sure as heck didn't feel it.

brake fade is practically nonexistent, and brake feel consistent. but like i said, the rotors didn't feel flat brand new. i was quite disappointed with that.
how much do those wheels weigh my SSR weigh 14 lbs. but those look a little more hard core so they might be lighter correct. As far as the size of the rotor its not really a balance issue but there will be some unless you upgrade they rear rotor. I don't know if it will be significant at 12.9 not at 13.1 but if you ever went with a 14" you better believe it. The reason that they specified for not going too big is really allowing the rotors to build enough heat to work properly the bigger the rotor the harder you have to work them to heat up and work properly. So if you take your car to the track all day the bigger rotor would be best for that application because your brakes will heat up pretty good with that. I wanted better braking for added protection when I test my car out and push its limit in case of an emergency I want to know that I have the best performance as far as brakes go. The stock rotor on a Cl-S is 11.8 and these are 12.4 so they will add some significant added brake torque and they will not over heat. hey now when the cop stops me for speeding all I have to say is " HEY I HAVE TO GO FAST IN ORDER TO HEAT UP MY ROTORS IN ORDER FOR THEM TO WORK PROPERLY OK " what do you think will it work
Old 03-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Old 03-03-2003, 09:07 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Those are Hot :wackit:
Old 03-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

this is making me want brembos......thanks lou

BTW...they look great lou, nice purchase
Old 03-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Banned

Thanks peiginglong I thought you forgot about me. the last pic I put the rotor in front of my 10" basslink with the legs on and the rotor is still bigger.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by lou
Thanks peiginglong I thought you forgot about me. the last pic I put the rotor in front of my 10" basslink with the legs on and the rotor is still bigger.
Forgot to check email when I got home
Old 03-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Safety Car

sweet lou, very sweet!!
Old 03-03-2003, 09:28 PM
usc
Racer

Originally posted by lou
how much do those wheels weigh my SSR weigh 14 lbs. but those look a little more hard core so they might be lighter correct.
actually these should be heavier. i'm estimating 17lbs or more. but definitely much lighter than my old deadweights. they're just regular cast rims, forging would have made them lighter/stronger. i originally wanted volk GT-P's, but i waited 4 months and turns out the idiot ordered the wrong offset for me despite me telling him what i needed. he "thought" he was the expert. i just got tired of waiting and went with whatever cleared the damn calipers. :P turned out to be much cheaper. if i hit the lotto or something, maybe i'll look for something else later. for now, these will do.

if you ever went with a 14" you better believe it.
well, in order to clear 14", you'd need at least 19" rims. lose practicality doing something like that. got no hp to move those deadweights.

the heat issue you mentioned, i believe, is more of a brake pad issue.

i just noticed something interesting when peiqinglong posted your rotors. your rotors are drilled, but they do not have directional vents. i wish i had taken some pics of mine to show the veins. here's a pic. i took the liberty to add arrows to show what i'm talking about.

i use to think ALL brembo GT rotors have directional veins. and have seen some drill patterns that were opposite of mine installed on other cars. of course i opened my big mouth saying it's mounted backwards. i guess i better shutdaf*ckup now that i see the 12.4" rotors aren't directionally veined. talk about foot-in-mouth syndrome for me.

Old 03-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by usc
actually these should be heavier. i'm estimating 17lbs or more. but definitely much lighter than my old deadweights. they're just regular cast rims, forging would have made them lighter/stronger. i originally wanted volk GT-P's, but i waited 4 months and turns out the idiot ordered the wrong offset for me despite me telling him what i needed. he "thought" he was the expert. i just got tired of waiting and went with whatever cleared the damn calipers. :P turned out to be much cheaper. if i hit the lotto or something, maybe i'll look for something else later. for now, these will do.

well, in order to clear 14", you'd need at least 19" rims. lose practicality doing something like that. got no hp to move those deadweights.

the heat issue you mentioned, i believe, is more of a brake pad issue.

i just noticed something interesting when peiqinglong posted your rotors. your rotors are drilled, but they do not have directional vents. i wish i had taken some pics of mine to show the veins. here's a pic. i took the liberty to add arrows to show what i'm talking about.

i use to think ALL brembo GT rotors have directional veins. and have seen some drill patterns that were opposite of mine installed on other cars. of course i opened my big mouth saying it's mounted backwards. i guess i better shutdaf*ckup now that i see the 12.4" rotors aren't directionally veined. talk about foot-in-mouth syndrome for me.

Veined would be better right cause they cool better but I don't think I need none of that even these are too much but it's the least I can get with a 4 piston caliper. Also I bought these on sale from Comptech so maybe these are last years model maybe the new ones are veined. Were the other rotors brembo the ones you saw without veins I don't think they gave me non-Brembo rotors I have to call tommorrow to see the story thanks for the heads up. Beautiful system you got there did you pay wholesale cause those are really HOTT
Old 03-03-2003, 09:59 PM
usc
Racer

yeah, the directional veins would cool faster. but i think it'll only make a significant difference if you're on the track. but one thing for sure (as you'll probably get to find out)... they are very VERY dusty. you'll be cleaning your rims every couple of days. kind of worked out for my bronzed rims as they already look dirty.

my brembo's i got off of acp.com. for whatever reason, the 12.9" kit was cheaper than the 12.4" (back then), so i bought the 12.9". they've since changed the price on those and i believe now both kits are the same price.

thanks for the compliments on my setup. too bad i'm not completely satisfied with them. maybe i'll look into getting a Mov-It kit later. the rotors are 32mm instead of 28mm thick. let me win the lotto first.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by usc
yeah, the directional veins would cool faster. but i think it'll only make a significant difference if you're on the track. but one thing for sure (as you'll probably get to find out)... they are very VERY dusty. you'll be cleaning your rims every couple of days. kind of worked out for my bronzed rims as they already look dirty.

my brembo's i got off of acp.com. for whatever reason, the 12.9" kit was cheaper than the 12.4" (back then), so i bought the 12.9". they've since changed the price on those and i believe now both kits are the same price.

thanks for the compliments on my setup. too bad i'm not completely satisfied with them. maybe i'll look into getting a Mov-It kit later. the rotors are 32mm instead of 28mm thick. let me win the lotto first.
Yea I was just about to post what the vanes are for its for better cooling, which I definetly won't be needing. Those are directional vanes which means the have to be put on the right direction so when you corrected that person about putting them on backwards you were probably right. Now why aren't you content with those they look great and Im thinkin they stop better than anything on the market. What kinda car do you have an Accord cause I found out my Brembos are origianally for an accord V6 from 98-99 but Comptech said they bolt right on....one thing I have to find out is if they still make this rotor cause I didn't see it anywhere on the website. by the way thanks for informing me I always like to hear from personal experience.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:48 PM
usc
Racer

yeah, they still make the 12.4" kit. i just find it funny that the 12.9" and 12.4" replacement rotors are the same price. $600/pair. and that's just rotors, not the hat.

i drive a 1993 accord ex. i am looking for something that is as warp-resistant as possible. i do a lot of driving (and i don't abuse my brakes either). my pet-peeve was the brake-shimmy that i felt on the steering wheel. but since the brembos didn't come true'd/smooth, i still get the shimmy occasionally.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by usc
yeah, they still make the 12.4" kit. i just find it funny that the 12.9" and 12.4" replacement rotors are the same price. $600/pair. and that's just rotors, not the hat.

i drive a 1993 accord ex. i am looking for something that is as warp-resistant as possible. i do a lot of driving (and i don't abuse my brakes either). my pet-peeve was the brake-shimmy that i felt on the steering wheel. but since the brembos didn't come true'd/smooth, i still get the shimmy occasionally.

do you need to buy the hat? how much are good cross-drilled rotors $100? Yea and the kit for the 12.4 is the same price of the 14" kit and 13.1" WTF are they thinking. I guess they want to keep everything the same to keep prices up. Did you see the 350Z Brembos costing $2999...What are those for I thought the Z came with Brembos.

Another member told me to go easy on the brakes for 100 miles untill the rotors and pads break in evenly. Im hoping I won't have any problems not that Im worried. by the way I paid $1595 for the 12.4 so I would of loved to get the 12.9 but those they want $2395 to rich for my BLOOD.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
brembo's are an option on the z, not standard.

aka, track package.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:08 PM
usc
Racer

i think the 350Z brembos only come on 2 trims. and the rotors on those aren't even drilled (but probably a lot less dusty)

there are break-in directions that you should follow. 100 miles isn't a good marker since you could spend an hour and a half on the freeway and not touch the brakes and using that to gauge, your brakes are good to go?

i'm sure the 12.4" will work great for you. if nothing else, it earns you bragging rights.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by usc
i think the 350Z brembos only come on 2 trims. and the rotors on those aren't even drilled (but probably a lot less dusty)

there are break-in directions that you should follow. 100 miles isn't a good marker since you could spend an hour and a half on the freeway and not touch the brakes and using that to gauge, your brakes are good to go?

i'm sure the 12.4" will work great for you. if nothing else, it earns you bragging rights.
brag about what ? how stupid I am spending money on brakes when I could of put that money with another grand and bought myself a beautiful 50" flatscreen HDTV. or maybe use that money to put in a nice cool navi in my ride, or put it away for a rainy day.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:22 PM
usc
Racer

Originally posted by lou
brag about what ? how stupid I am spending money on brakes when I could of put that money with another grand and bought myself a beautiful 50" flatscreen HDTV. or maybe use that money to put in a nice cool navi in my ride, or put it away for a rainy day.
haha... buyer's remorse already? what rims are you running/going to run? clearing the calipers was the biggest pain in the @$$ i ever had to deal with.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by usc
haha... buyer's remorse already? what rims are you running/going to run? clearing the calipers was the biggest pain in the @$$ i ever had to deal with.
I have SSR Comps in 17" I know they fit cause a member who used the car on the track had the 13.1 with no problem.

here is a pic these are my rims but mine are in silver and these are the gunmetal

Old 03-03-2003, 11:35 PM
usc
Racer

i wanted those. but tirerack doesn't import them for my bolt-pattern. arrrgh. hehe
Old 03-03-2003, 11:35 PM

Damn, too SWEET!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:29 PM
Instructor

When it comes time, can x-drilled rotors be re-surfaced (eg. Brembo, Neuspeed) like normal rotors, or must they be replaced once the 1st set of pads causes score lines on the metal surface?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:56 AM
Homeless

Dude, this thread is 6 months old...

Why don't you post a new topic to get some answers.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Bagged hybrid

You should be able to buy replacement rotors. I'm not sure about Brembo, but I know the Wilwood one (thru Brakezone) is $150 per rotor due to it's a 2 piece design.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Roleez
When it comes time, can x-drilled rotors be re-surfaced (eg. Brembo, Neuspeed) like normal rotors, or must they be replaced once the 1st set of pads causes score lines on the metal surface?
Yea.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Drifting

whats up lou its vin ant friend