Best method for adjusting spring perch on Koni yellows

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best method for adjusting spring perch on Koni yellows

To those with Koni Yellows and Comptech springs:

I finally got this setup installed on my '03 6spd. The Koni Yellows I bought were the Neuspeed/Koni type w/ the 5 perch adjustments. Out of the box, the spring perch "clip" was set to center. Well, after I had the components installed, I got freaked out b/c the fronts had just slight negative camber while the rears had WAY more. I set all four to the softest dampening, and the car rides real nice, however my main concern is to restore the alignment back to stock.

Here's the big question: What would be the best step-by-step method to adjust the perch clip when the shocks are already on the car? Would I need to purchase a spring compressor? Or would it be easier to use a floor jack to compress the spring at each corner of the car? Or is there a better way? And what tool is best to spread the perch clip open to move it into another position? Please help!
Old 06-29-2003, 08:33 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will need to remove thr struts from the car and diassemble them .You will need a spring compressor for the fronts the rears usually have so little tension on them you will not need it there.Then you will need to pop off the ring and relocate it to the groove you need it to be in .
Have you done an alignment on the car since the install?If you have please post your camber readings .If the rear is not more than 2 degrees you should be ok .I have seen many of these cars come in around 1 to 2 degrees camber in the rear and it is not really a big deal .The toe setting is critical as this is what will quickly kill your tires.
Jens
Old 06-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info, Jens. After raising the car, I found out the problem. I know Comptech springs lower your car to just the right height w/o causing any signs of negative camber. Well, I just found out that the clip was moved to the lowest position and boy was I mad. No wonder the car looked much lower than the usual Comptech drop. I'm going to call up the place I had the lowering done and have them re-do the whole thing b/c I didn't authorize anyone to change the position of the perch clip.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Rod
Drifting

Roleez, about how much lower was your car on Koni's lowest perch setting with the Comptech springs as compared to the Comptech springs on the stock shocks?
Old 06-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Lets see the whip dropped!!!

Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Sorry Smitty, I don't have a digi-cam to show you all pics.

Rod: I correct myself... the spring clip was in the 4th position from the top. According to Koni, the "normal" position is the center (3rd) clip. I took a tape measure and found that with the spring clip in the 4th position on a Comptech drop, the gap from top of tire to fender are as follows:

* front: 1.25"
* rear: 1.25"

I'm planning to have the spring clip moved to either the very top position or to the 2nd position to bring the car up and to get rid of the negative camber. And FYI, the spring clip adjustments are separated by a distance of approximately 5mm. So if I were to move the clip by 2 notches, the car will be raised by about 10mm.