Bad outweighs Good - LONG!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
Bad outweighs Good - LONG!

I was happy and angry in 30 seconds. Let me explain:

I have a 2001 CL-S with a salvage title. A couple of months ago, my SRS light came on. Knowing that there is a warranty extention for the SRS module/sensors but that the warranty did not apply to my salvage car, in the back of my mind, I thought was screwed. Within a couple of weeks, I pin pointed the problem to be of the passenger seatbelt buckle. When the passanger seatbelt is buckled in, the SRS light came on. I put the repair off until this week. I have just been resetting the light myself constantly whenever I have passangers ride with me.

I also knew from Acura Client Services that there are still some items covered by Acura eventhough my car is a salvage. No, its not the SRS but they do cover the seatbelt. So I made an appointment with Niello Acura of Sacramento. I was told that if its not covered by Acura, that I would be charged 120 dollars for the diagnosis. So I took the risk, taking my own jugement/diagnosis into mind. After waiting in the lounge for 3 hours (they wont give loaners to people under 25), I was told that theres a sensor in the buckle that is not working correctly. Acura will cover the repair and parts would be in next week. They would not charge me for the diagnosis and my car was left running for me outside with the AC on. I was pleasently surprised and happy.

I got inside, adjusted my seats and fixed my AC which was set to 60, vents set to feet and body, and rear defroster on. I immeditely noticed that my instrument cluster was dead. The AC was on so I knew that the engine was running. My tach, speedo, fuel, temp and display was dead. My windows did not work nor did my sunroof. I could not shift out of park with out using the shift lock. So I had to start my car in neutral. I told my advisor and he inspected it, and said that it seems coincidential. and of course he blamed it on my car being salvage as well. I never had any problems like this when I brought it in. He drove the car himself to the front and said it was ok when he did it. I was suspicious, because this could have happened in the stall but he still could have driven it there in that condition, and played the "i dont know game". I was shocked. I came in to replace a belt buckle and came out with major electrical issues! The tech came out and took a look at the driver side and under hood fuses but said he could not find the problem. Advisor told me that I could pay to have them diagnose it! hmm...somethings not right here. I told them that maybe i could figure something out of fix it. If not, then I would be back in next week anyways. I started my car in neutral and left with the AC on because I could not open the windows or sunroof. I proceeded onto the freeway and started picking up speed. Immeditaly i noticed something wrong, the engine was making more noise than usual. I shifted from D5 to D4 but there was no change in tone or vibration. Same when I shifted in D3. so I was on the freeway running in 3rd gear. I know it was 3rd because I felt my very bad shift shock from 2-3. So I pulled over at the first exit and stopped in the parking lot of motel 6. I couldnot drive home in 3rd not knowing how many RPM I was running. I never redline or abuse my cars. So i proceeded to check my amp connection since the lead-on for my amp was connected to the ON position in the ignition. Nothing out of the ordinary I can find. Then I started checking fuses. I pulled number 10 from driver's side fuse box labeled instrument light or something to that avail. It was blown. I pulled a spare fuse from under my hood and replaced it. Everything was back to normal except for a CEL and SRS was on. So the certified Acura tech missed a blown fuse, even though he checked them already. I went back and spoke to the "supervisor in charge". He knew about my situation.

I asked him how a 18 year old college student could find and fix a problem that his service tech and advisor could not. He proceeded to just talk about salvage, how they dont get paid for working on them and that the tech prob didnt spend a lot of time throughly checking each fuse. but the fuse that blew said instrument cluster!! So I had him clear the CEL (which was transmission codes, prob from it not going over 3rd gear), and clear the SRS light too.

I have to say I was disappointed in them. My car came out with more and major problems that they refused to take responsibility for and even asked me to pay to diagnose it. I wonder if they still would have charged me 120 for a blown fuse. It goes to show, that what you know about your car maybe more that what even your dealer or tech knows. and be a skeptic when you take your car in for service. I guess thats what I get for bring in a salvage car to a dealer that ive been to only twice for warranty work that I have never paid for. This is how they <i>try</i> to get back at me.

Sparknotes:
-salvage car taken in for warranty work
-came back to car to find major electrical issues
-dealer would not take responsibility and would charge me to diagnose
-diagnosed and fixed by 18 year old in 3 minutes that service tech and advisor could not
-ripped the advisor a new a-hole.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the sparknotes

Hope all works out for you, disappointing to hear.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

it will. when they fix my seatbelt buckle then i wont have to bother Niello Acura anymore, at least until I need another free warranty job from them
Old 09-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have full sympathy for you, but all of that...just another set of reasons not to buy salvage
Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
it will. when they fix my seatbelt buckle then i wont have to bother Niello Acura anymore, at least until I need another free warranty job from them
By being an asshole you can be sure you'll get super service next time you go in wanting a freebee.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Suzuka Master

well i knew buying a salvage meant that its cheap and i would have to keep it till the wheels fall off. but my car being a salvage didnt have to do with any of these problems. acura simply dont care about salvage cars.

haha, yup i got 2 already which prob equals about 1k of warranty work.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:44 AM
CL-Pride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can feel you, i have a salvage 01 CL as well. those stealership hates to do free service. Last time i went to have them repair the seatbelt because i found that it is a lifetime warranty. My seatbelt won't retrack, and the guy checked and said we cannot help you because it does retrack but just very weak, and by law we cannot provide free service if it is not broken or malfunction.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
they gave me a mdx rental when they repaired my buckle and i was only 22 at the time.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Suzuka Master

we salvage guys gotta stick up for each other. life is tougher on us. but we still drive Acura CL and we are still owners dang it!

their policy is no rentals under 25. i didnt buy my car there and never paid for any service there. i doubt they would bend the rules for me
Old 09-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Keeping the Stealth alive

It's one of those things thatr could take a minute or a week to find. Just so happens you found it right away. They don't want to tackle warranty work on a salvage car when they have no clue how long it might take. When you pay a bit more for a non-salvage car you get the satisfaction of warranty work being covered.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Knowledge is power. I just can't understand these people who get taken everyday cause they have no clue about simple car repair. IMHO if your too stupid to learn about it you deserve to pay $500 for a 30K mile service.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM
bye Acura, hello Toyota

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ironsurfer129
I can feel you, i have a salvage 01 CL as well. those stealership hates to do free service. Last time i went to have them repair the seatbelt because i found that it is a lifetime warranty. My seatbelt won't retrack, and the guy checked and said we cannot help you because it does retrack but just very weak, and by law we cannot provide free service if it is not broken or malfunction.
Mine's a salvage title as well so I undestand where you're coming from. No problems with mine so far (knock on wood..), not even the tranny, and the car's going on 108K miles. One thing that I'm sure not doing is bring the car to any "stealership" and have them salvage-bash my ride so to speak . Just my but if any of you folks are within close proximity of San Jose, drop me a PM because my brother owns a local auto repair shop & we can see if we can save you some of your hard earned $$$$
Old 09-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Suzuka Master

yea, it just so frustrating for me cause the tech checked the fuses under the hood and the fuses in the drivers side. he said nothing was wrong. i checked the driver side fuses and it was blown. blind or idiot or both. i guess money > customer satisfaction.

thanks, Batosai. im like 2 hours away so i might think about it for big repairs like if my compressor goes out or my 105k service. your car sounds good, and good luck on the tranny. i hope i can last that long. maybe you got a good one. for you too

btw, dealership said that the part would be in wednesday or thurdays. well by the end of thursday, no call to tell me the status. i might have to call next monday.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Salvage or not...if the part or issue is covered under warranty, the dealer should fix it. And it isn't free! Sure, no money out of YOUR pocket, but Acura will pay the dealer for the repairs. So the dealer still makes the money. (Although the rate for customer-pay is higher, and more profit, for the dealer than warranty repair. But any dealer knows that a warranty fix today, that makes the customer happy, will result in the customer coming back again tomorrow! *Sound business practice 101*) The only problem is, Acura COULD hold-up the dealer's money "pending review", to make sure that the repairs were OK for a salvage car. So, some of the 'short-sighted' dealers don't want to bother with salvage at all...unless...and here's the biggie...unless for some reason they LIKE you! Or at the very least, respect you, and want to earn and keep your business. Even in today's cold, corporate enviornment, most service departments are still "people-oriented". I've seen many a service advisor take on a service manager on behalf of his customer...simply because he's 'going to bat' for one of his favorite customers. It happens everyday. And some dealerships will even write off a repair to "policy", just to keep the customer happy.
So, at every opportunity, if you use the dealer's service department, try to become one of the valued customers. You don't have to take any sh*t, but try not to give any either.

And, by the way, even though the customer service reps tell you they won't tell your answers to the dealer...they DO in fact divulge the scoring you gave them on the CSI report. (You know, that little mail-in or telephone survey they ask you to reply to after the fact?) The service advisor and the dealership itself (ironically NOT the tech) get's dinged for every bad CSI. And a ding usually costs somebody their bonus money! And they know who dinged 'em! They also know who gave them the best CSI too...although they seem to remember the bad ones the most! (Don't ask me how I know! LOL)

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Suzuka Master

well i got a call this morning and it was repaired in less than 2 hours. i guess i expected them to treat me with a little disrespect today from the way i treated them last week but they were very kind to me. when the car was done, they parked it in the side lot but my service advisor pulled it around for me. the work was done well and everything is great now. so when the survey comes, ill be giving them high marks, despite last week, maybe they'll remember that next time.

but the first time, it seems like they didnt care about salvage cars at all even though that i could remember their service and the way they treat me so that after the CL, i may come back. they did not treat me like that the first time. maybe me being 18 with a CL-S and its salvage has to do something with it...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

How did they know you had a salvage titled car?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 AM
Suzuka Master

they will run the VIN in their database