Autocross opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autocross opinions...

OK folks, I just finished an Autocross event here at the local Police Academy driving range. Needless to say, Sway bars are definetly in my future (should be taking delivery of them this week). The car just had way too much body roll (even with the springs), and the factory rubber is just way to hard for events like this (I was sqealing way too much for my liking). Throttle response was great, but it seemed the car was fighting in alot of the turns.

Couple of things i'll probably change next time:

1) Definetly have the sways (way too loose up front).

2) Have at least 35 PSI on the front tires, and probably no more than 40 (first couple of runs I had 30-32 PSI up front and the sidewalls were begging for mercy and definetly displaying their complaints very vividly). Last three runs I had 39 PSI up front and the tires just didn't stick (this is where all the squealing came into play).

Oh well, just thought i'd post up a message explaining some of the drawbacks (hopefully correctible) in my experience at the Autocross today. It was definetly a blast, and if anyone gets the chance it's definetly worth your time.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 01-21-2001, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the tips and the update! What was your best time around the track? What types of cars were there? Who was in your class?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-22-2001, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
Thanks for the tips and the update! What was your best time around the track? What types of cars were there? Who was in your class?
</font>
I DNF'ed a bunch of times (being a newbie at these events), all because I went the wrong way around some of the cones set up (it's going to get some getting used to, and it didn't help that I ran first and marshalled second. I think it would have been better if I marshalled first seeing how everyone else was taking the line, and drove second). Telling my time won't help out much since times are going to be different for each event you goto. I can tell my time in relation to others though. I got five runs (personally running four of them, and an instructor ran one of them with myself riding, and I drove once with the instructor riding. I DNF'ed twice because of the cones).

The event was sponsored by the SCCA's division of the Houston BMW club (I know, but it was cool, they didn't give me too hard of a time) and had everything from Viper's to Porshe's out there. Very few FWD cars out though. Didn't really have a class, just ran

But the one good run (even with all the squealing) I ran it through in 60.028 or so. Most everyone else running ran mid to low 50's (some high 40's, namely some of the Porshe's out there). I don't have the exact times, but will post a link to the website when they have the numbers posted. When I do that look for a #78.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS