Attn: Typesdragon

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 11:18 AM
CL Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: Typesdragon

Hey man, I need your help...

I saw the pics of your car from when you curbed the
front and rear wheels on the passenger side. Well, I've done the same thing. My front wheel was angled just like yours. My rear isn't that bad, just barely visibly off alignment.

I talked to the body shop today and they told me that they have to take the car to the dealership, because even after replacing all of the front suspension components, the front crossmember is bent beyond repair.

My question to you is, how long did it take for them to fix your car? I'm guessing its gonna take a while... Doesn't the engine, trannny, and everything else under the hood have to come out before they can remove front crossmember(s).

Damn, I hate this. I've been without my car too long already. And now its going to be even longer. Does your car drive like as good as before the accident. If mine doesn't... i'm gonna trade it in (it's a 2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe) for a CL-S.

Anyway thanks alot, I'm just trying to gauge how long this might take, and how driveable the end result will be.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Racer

I'm not typesdragon, but

I hope this helps. I had a similar accident in my Integra. More than likely they will have to laser align your frame. Your car will NEVER drive the same, nor should you let anyone convince you that it will. The suspension geometry cannot be restored and mentally, you will always feel the car is not the same. I recently purchased a CL and saying I am happy with the purchase would be a superlative understatement.

Take the insurance money, fix up the car, and trade it in. Your insurance company should provide a stipend for a rental car also.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:57 AM
CL Expert

I would never expect a car that has had its frame pulled out and realigned to drive like new. Thats because they usually don't align them back to the factory spec. They just get really close.

But I've been told that replacing every part of the suspension AND it's mounting points (the crossmemers) will put everything back in factory spec and ensure a good ride.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:21 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Glenn Davis
I would never expect a car that has had its frame pulled out and realigned to drive like new. Thats because they usually don't align them back to the factory spec. They just get really close.

But I've been told that replacing every part of the suspension AND it's mounting points (the crossmemers) will put everything back in factory spec and ensure a good ride.
Once the frame is twisted, it loses its integrity. You can twist it back to where it was supposed to be, but it is weaker and more prone to twisting back to its distorted form. A buddy of mine used to work in an auto shop and if the frame was really bad they would straighten it out initially by chaining the front down, chaining the back to a tow truck and pulling it. Be careful where you get your work done.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:58 PM
CL Expert

A tow truck? They had better not... I would be really pissed if I found out that the used a tow truck to "fix" my car. That is totally unacceptable.

Good thing I'm not taking it to some rinky-dink smalltime shop. My car is being repaired by Honda, with tools specific to the job.
Modern Honda's don't use the frame as a mounting point for the suspension anyway.

I slid into the curb sideways, so the only damage that can be done is to the Control Arms, Wheel, Knuckle/Spindle, Wheel bearing, and the front crossmembers. The Crossmembers are like isolated, removable sections of frame. The Suspension in a Honda mounts to the crossmember (replaceable) instead of a conventional frame.

All of those components are being replaced. Even the crossmembers are being replaced. So the technicians say that it should drive like it was never even damaged before.

When I think about it... The crossmember instead of frame concept is pretty nifty. Because a crossmember is replaceable, there's no worry about trying fix it to the factory spec - they just take it out and put a new one in. Not bad.

I knew TypeSDragon had his crossmembers replaced, so I was just checking to see exactly how well everything is driving now. But if I recall correctly, he says it's just like new! I'm confident that the repairs will be good for my car. If not, I'm gonna get a CLS, a TLS or if I can wait possibly a '03 Accord! Either way, I can't lose.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:28 PM
Racer

You're right. Either way you can't lose. I was just offering a little insight, but best of luck whichever route you choose.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:37 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i got my car back in two weeks. they replaced the right side suspension, wheels, the rear crossmember, and BOTH the front crossmembers!

the do NOT need to take anything out from the engine, but they did have to remove the gas tank which is pretty damn easy

my car is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT once again
Old 02-14-2002, 10:43 PM
CL Expert

Thanks 992.3CL and TypeSDragon!

I feel alot better now. I'll definately be able to sleep better.
Two weeks... that's not bad. I was thinking that getting at those crossmembers was an extremely complex and time consuming procedure. I'm glad to hear that it's more straightforword than I had originally thought.

TypeSDragon, congratulations on your car being repaired correctly and it driving "perfectly" afterwards. You gave me the reassurance I needed to ease my mind.

Thanks fellas