ATTENTION SOOPA! $500 Gateway Server!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Webtoker... Can I fax you my resume?

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

I have dealt with servers of all kinds. From Sun Sparcs, to hand built and all kinds of pre built server which include IBM, HP, Compaq, and even some Cobalts. I have been doing this for years and what I have learned is to not put yourself through the trouble of building your servers by hand and dealing with several different vendors. I guess you have very little experience in the collocation and managed services field. Oh, well this topic is pretty much pointless. Lets move on and get us a new server ;-)

</font>

Toker you just took the words right out of my mouth. for home users, putting a machine toghether by your self is pretty good and can save u money but for corporations, you really need a brandname, IF you do get a brandname like compaq or dell they will most liktely ship you the part nextday air! for free. and you have 24/7 support and can always go to one place for drivers, software/hardware problems, unlike homemades where u have to run around everywhere and u have no WARRANTY or onsite service or crap like that. main reason why I choose dell for desktop systems and COMPAQ for servers. Nothing else comes close.

I do the same work that toker does and trust me brand name does make a HUGE diff. in the work field and makes your job 500X easier.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:37 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At work our Compaq's have had the highest uptime of any of our servers. I personally like to build my own machines, I've been doing it for a long time and it gives you a greater control of what goes inside. But It doesn't take long to realize that a rack mounted unit is a better choice when it comes to high availability and performance. The parts will have a higher chance of being 100% proprietary, but the server will offer special features to keep it running 24x7 such as hot swap-ability and redundancy.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When you get a chance open up a Compaq server. Look at the way they are designed. Look at how air flow is dealt with. Also notice how they deal with redundant power. I could go on and on. Yes we could run on a hand built server from parts that have not been tested with each other but why take the chance when you want 24/7 uptime? </font>
I agree completely with WebToker on this one. I've seen the insides and they are designed with uptime in mind. The other important part as WebToker mentioned is testing components with other components. I have no trouble swapping a video board, sound card, etc, if it isn't working correctly in my home built box, but this isn't acceptable for a web/database server.
Too bad an ultra60 costs so damn much, it makes a decent web server.

Dell laptops are nice. I haven't had great experiences with IBM or Compaq...I've also heard really good things about Toshiba's line.

Scorpius, I think the quality of transferring the video from it's current form to mpg might degrade it to the point where it would be equally as good to keep it as an avi/mov. I believe mpg was designed to be a hardware-captured format, not positive on that. Which capture card to you have?

------------------
2001 CL-S red, spoiler, mud guards, moon visor
Old 06-07-2001, 01:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Toshiba has some great laptops! BUT...they are really expensive..

When I was in the market for one myself, I looked at toshiba and dell..After thinking about how my sister's toshiba gave out on her in 3 years and had problems in the 3year span, I just couldn't go for toshiba.

------------------
Tw1112