Astroboy - Your impression of VR6 vs CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 04:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astroboy - Your impression of VR6 vs CL-S

I remember that you have a Golf VR6. Reason I ask is cause I had a run in with one last night. Guy was a real asshole too. I had two buddies in my car and one of them spotted the VR6 cause he has been thinking of getting one. Any way, the guy must have spotted me and makes his way over. I didn't even bother looking over cause I was on my way back to my place.

But then my friends were like, man I think he wants to race. He had a passenger. I thought what the heck. There's really no one around and I'll just give him a friendly run.

I'm thinking, he's got a 2.8 V6, weigh about 2,500 lbs. Manual... I'll probably lose. So we're side by side when he decides to punch it. I go WOT immediately, was probably going about 35-40 mph at the time in D5 w/ VSA on. So you can imagine the the jump he has. I was able to pull right away and was only half a car behind. But then he starts to slowly pull away, probably when my car shifted. Didn't last too long cause a light was coming up.

So we line up at the light. I turn off VSA. I see that there is a manhole cover in my lane that is not flush with the street about half way through the intersection. So I knew that I would lose some traction when I hit the cover. Second race was pretty close. I took off first, didn't bother power braking cause of the manhole. Everytime, I shifted he would pull on me, and evertime I got back in VTEC I would pull on him. It was back in forth until I started to slowly pull away. The light ahead was red so I started slowing down. I think at this time the guy was really starting to sweat cause I was more than he expected. He saw that I was ahead and probably was flustered cause he waited until the very last minute to brake. Needless to say he came to a complete stop a car length into the intersection.

At this point I was really admiring the power that his car had.... until my friends informed me that he was waving and saying good-bye when he punched it in the first race. This really pissed me off. So I nonchalantly informed my passengers to hold on. So he was lined up a car length ahead of me. As I saw the light go yellow, I started to power brake. Light turns green and I hit it for a almost perfect launch. I see his tires spinning and a plume of smoke rose up from them as I quickly make up the car length. My friends later informed me that they gave him some really big smiles as I slowly walked away from him.

"I laughed at him all the way until I saw his headlights."

He didn't have a chance.

There was a rather tight right curve ahead, but I wanted to really emabarass him for showing me up. I've been on this road many times and have taken the curve from the far left lane and knew what speed was safe. At this point I had to make a judgement call, I was about three lanes over from the rail going about 85-100 can I make it? I figured I could if I can brake really hard before entering it, plus I have two extra lanes for any error, I probably could. As I'm about to enter the turn, I brake really hard, felt the nose dive, thought shit, steered into the turn, felt the freaking car slide, thought damn VSA is off, saw the rails coming at me, got on the gas, found some traction, car swung back and I was off. What an adrenaline rush. Never ever ever ever ever will I do this again.

My car is stock except for AEM CAI. I know for sure he had an intake cause I could hear it... what else does he have?... don't know. Moral of the story... next time let it go. So Astroboy what do you think?
Old 03-25-2001, 04:52 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Those VR6s are fast. And the stock CLS with stock OEM tires has really nasty handling on anything that doesn't look like sandpaper pavement. Moral of the story -- get better tires, try again. The car with stock tires scared me on some types of surfaces and roads. On some of those, a BMW 318i would have beaten me (with the original stock tires)

(Sorry, I know you wanted Astroboy, but I have raced some cars, pre-tire and post-tire)

</font>
Hey no prob. These stock tires do suck the big one. I think what saved me was my buddy in the back was sitting on the right side. That and almighty GOD!!! I thought for sure that I was gonna eat it... I seriously didn't think it was gonna be an accident but some metal and rims scraping for sure. I could say I need new tires, springs sways blah blah blah, but I think the best thing is to just learn from this and avoid similar situations like it.

Old 03-25-2001, 04:57 AM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

nice story.

no, really!!!
especially given the fact that you had an extra passenger. i won't hesitate to issue an a**-whoppin the next time i come across one-thanks for the info!! yeah, and go easy on those turns--don't want you to 'disappear' on us
Old 03-25-2001, 05:02 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
nice story.

no, really!!!
especially given the fact that you had an extra passenger. i won't hesitate to issue an a**-whoppin the next time i come across one-thanks for the info!! yeah, and go easy on those turns--don't want you to 'disappear' on us
</font>
thanks. one of the guys was like damn, I didn't know a fwd car can drift like that. watch out for these VR6 though. When modded they're fast as hell... plus they're so light.

Old 03-25-2001, 05:17 AM
Who's Your Daddy

WoW!!
how ironic...i just got back from westheimer and raced one (vr6) twice and both times from a dead stop....needless to say, I beat him both times....both times he had a jump on me from the start...about 1/2 car length but i would slowly pull on him....the first time i beat him, he wasnt accepting it....The second time i raced him, i can hear his motor reving...he probably had that thing on 3,000 rpm from the start but i still caught up and pulled on him...

------------------
Silver 01' Type-S w/all the trimmins
Acura loyalty
retired a 2000 TL and a 94' Acura Legend Coupe
Comptech Springs, axle-back exhaust,headers
AEM CAI
yellow bumper (fog lights) bulbs
Clear Headlights
Old 03-25-2001, 06:12 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 634 Likes on 281 Posts
Hey buddha, sorry for the delay, just got home...

well...my VR6 is a pretty quick car, and with teh coil overs I have on it, it will corner at least as well as my CL-S with springs, sways and shocks. Although my 18" rubber on the CL is a littel nicer than the 17" on my VW...

in a straight line the CL-S is faster, but the VW is not far behind, prolly only a half second in the 1/4 mile, maybe a second though...

I'd guess that the one you ran against had an intake, some cams, either 264 or 268's and a full exhaust system....that would make it VERY competitive against our CL-S in my mind...

I am in the process of having a turbo system designed for my VW, should get it up to about 325FWHP which is gonna be crazy with the light weight, especially compared to the mass of the CL-S...

Good run though m8, but please don't go into a corner like that again, don't want to lose another CL

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks