A'pexi V-TEC Controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 05:28 AM
Texan trapped in NM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A'pexi V-TEC Controller

Has anyone here managed to get the A'pexi v-tec controller II to work on their CL-S speed? I gave it a shot on Tues. The performance shop that does the work on my car tried installing it with no luck. From what I was told, the E-POMs(i think that was it) didn't match up correctly or didn't quite match. They got it plugged in and tried to get it to work. The car started idled rough and their was a problem with the RMPs on the A'pexi. So, we pulled it off.

I was really looking forward to this mod because of the altitude here I wanted to work on the air to fuel ratio. Plus, I wanted to drop the V-TEC down 1k rpms. I know that it's supose to work on the TL. Is that because it is an automatic? I went to A'pexi's page and couldn't find a way to contact them. I wanted to ask them if they had something in the works to fix the problem with the CL. Like a adaptor or something but, I couldn't find a link. :angry:

Hope this isn't a repost. I tried looking around for something on this but, couldn't find anything(at least in car talk) Maybe I'm just crazy
Old 03-25-2004, 06:35 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I thought it was supposed to be universal application??

Funny thing is, Apex'i web site doesn't even have the V-AFC II on there. I figured it would take them some time to update the site, but it's been a couple of months and still nothing. You can't get any kind of information on the V-AFC II from their web page. Lazy asses.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The VTEC controller is a waste of money, it looks good but does nothing in terms of performance. Many old school members had it and stated they didn't see any real gains.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Texan trapped in NM

Understand that there may be minimal gains depending how the AFC is applied to car. But in the 5200+ altitude some of the 3.0 Accords add as much 10-12 hp at the wheels with the AFC. Because the air is so thin here the ability to adust the air to fuel ratio is a helpful thing. Plus of course, lowing the VTEC kick in. The shop that I work with takes the car to a dyno and adjust things to get max hp gain. They have Dyno proof that they have added 12hp the a 3.0 accord.

They are suppose to be universal but each car has a specific code and their isn't one for the CL. As well as a possible E-POM poblem. Still not sure about that.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:47 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go over to v6performance.net, those guys are pretty good, and a lot of them have installed the afc II in therir cars. It shouldnt be a problem, because i know a cl guy down here in NY with one, he also has the frog plug and play harness if that helps you.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

get the wiring photo copied at acura that will help them alot. i am going to do this as well after 7500miles on th tl
Old 03-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Texan trapped in NM

I went a head and posted on v6perfomance.net I guess I'll wait see what is happening over there.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: A'pexi V-TEC Controller

Originally posted by jruss9819
Has anyone here managed to get the A'pexi v-tec controller II to work on their CL-S speed? I gave it a shot on Tues. The performance shop that does the work on my car tried installing it with no luck. From what I was told, the E-POMs(i think that was it) didn't match up correctly or didn't quite match. They got it plugged in and tried to get it to work. The car started idled rough and their was a problem with the RMPs on the A'pexi. So, we pulled it off.

I was really looking forward to this mod because of the altitude here I wanted to work on the air to fuel ratio. Plus, I wanted to drop the V-TEC down 1k rpms. I know that it's supose to work on the TL. Is that because it is an automatic? I went to A'pexi's page and couldn't find a way to contact them. I wanted to ask them if they had something in the works to fix the problem with the CL. Like a adaptor or something but, I couldn't find a link.
Excluding a faulty unit, hey wired it in wrong or can't tune it!!

Plus, I doubt it will do anything worth while for the car. I had the e-Manage on TL-S and ran the fuel ratio down to 11:1 and up to nearly 14:1 and there was (and suprisingly so) little power difference. As for altitude, the barometric sensor in the ECU does a pretty good job at compensating for the lower absolute pressure.

As for before and after dyno that the shop performs, be sure that the before isn't noticeably lower than what the vehicle should be making. That is not an uncommon trick to make it look like they made more power.

And how do I know they wired it wrong or can't tune, I have twenty eight leads tapped or intecepted in this:

What lead did they use for the RPM signal??
Old 03-27-2004, 04:59 AM
Texan trapped in NM

For those who care VTECFROG.COM makes a harness adaptor for the CL so that the AFC II and the car will play nice together . I know that this product has had mixed reviews but I plan to dyno tune the car for the altitude as well as lower the VTEC. I'm running it at the track today and will run it again after everything is hooked up. I'll keep you posted on how things go. Thanks for all of the help.

Did anyone that had a negative response to the AFC II dyno tune it after the install or was it tune as you go? If it was dyno tuned let me know maybe I'll cancel my order . I haven't found anyone on V6perfomance the has it for the CL-S 6speed with one hooked up. You never know this may be a good mod.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

As previously mentioned, it has been tried and proved to be fairly worthless. The concept is sound and carries over between platforms. It just has little impact on the J32A2.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:00 PM
ACCORD member

Haha! That 10-12whp gain was in my Accord!
Old 03-28-2004, 05:34 PM
mushroom mushroom

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
The VTEC controller is a waste of money, it looks good but does nothing in terms of performance. Many old school members had it and stated they didn't see any real gains.
I got 10whp across the board with mine.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by bug230
I got 10whp across the board with mine.
What settings did you use?? What was the before and after numbers??

I suspect that there may have been other aspects to this.