Anyone use a scanner w/ radar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 05:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use a scanner w/ radar?

http://www.21stcenturyplaza.com/mobile/23.html
was wondering if anyone used a scanner along w/ there radar.

It basically picks off police radio activity and tells you strength so if a cop is using vascar or not using radar its very useful.

UNIDEN BEARTRAKKER MINI W800MH DETECTOR
The BearTracker is a sophisticated highway alarm system that responds to radio waves emitted from special secondary transmitters installed on most highway patrol vehicles across the US. The BCT-12 alarm system informs you both visually and audibly when activity is detected. It also determines signal strength to inform you of the presence and distance of highway patrol vehicles - even if they're not using radar!

800 MHz Band Coverage
Priority Scan On/Off
2 Digit State LED Display with Pre-Programmed Frequencies
Highway Alert with 9 level Strength Meter
TurboScan - scans up to 100 channels per second
Total Protection
Instant Weather
Weather Alert (DOT and News Media frequencies
High Gain 360 degree antenna
Built in speaker
External speaker jack
Old 06-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Race Director

I always thought about getting one of these (they've been around for years and years) but was afraid that it wouldn't work for ALL types of LEO. Couldn't get clarification about city police, S.O., etc. If it just works on the State, I guess that would be ok for additional protection. But for the price.....?

Anyway I think the ad is a little bit deceiving. It was my understanding that they would detect the radio waves from a nearby car whenever that car was transmitting. It is also my understanding that the cruiser is not always transmitting. Finally I believe that if ONE crusier transmits, then all cruisers are activated and you would be alerted. That means there's a high probability that a cruiser sitting in a speedtrap located can't keep silent long enough to stay hidden.

But like I said in a pervious post, there are times on a slow weekend in the wee hours in Minnesota where there are only 6 troopers on the road in the entire metro area. In North and South Dakota, maybe 2 or 3 for the whole state. In Kansas, less than a dozen.

If you get one, let us know how it works.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:48 PM

Yo, I still need to get a detector!

Thats definitely my next mod!
Old 06-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

You know no body is catching this bike.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Well..

Originally posted by kensteele
I always thought about getting one of these (they've been around for years and years) but was afraid that it wouldn't work for ALL types of LEO. Couldn't get clarification about city police, S.O., etc. If it just works on the State, I guess that would be ok for additional protection. But for the price.....?

Anyway I think the ad is a little bit deceiving. It was my understanding that they would detect the radio waves from a nearby car whenever that car was transmitting. It is also my understanding that the cruiser is not always transmitting. Finally I believe that if ONE crusier transmits, then all cruisers are activated and you would be alerted. That means there's a high probability that a cruiser sitting in a speedtrap located can't keep silent long enough to stay hidden.

But like I said in a pervious post, there are times on a slow weekend in the wee hours in Minnesota where there are only 6 troopers on the road in the entire metro area. In North and South Dakota, maybe 2 or 3 for the whole state. In Kansas, less than a dozen.

If you get one, let us know how it works.
Ken,
I believe the concept that it works on is that all cruisers function as 'trunk' units (ie. they bounce the signals of each other to get better distance out of the radio transmission). The unit works as a detector of the transmission of the trunk systems, and no matter what, the systems is always operational because generally they are always relaying information even if they are not the ones that are doing the transmitting.
I actually had bought one of the units before (BCT10 or something or other) but the unit was so large, and gainly (not the full size of a scanner, but still pretty freaking big) but from what I am seeing here these units are about the size of a radar detector so they should be a little easier to mount and conceal.
Also in some states to operate a scanner, you need a FCC radio license (I have yet to seee someone get busted though) and that is basically what I believe this unit is.