Anyone have issues with Zaino ZFX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 04:12 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have issues with Zaino ZFX?

I was all ready to Zaino my car today with the ZFX treatment. Yesterday I prepped her by washing with Dawn and then claybar and then cleaning with Z6. The paint felt great afterwards and I was able to get off all sorts of bug guts etc. with the claybar. The clay even took off streaks where someone hit me in the front bumper. Clay truly is amazing stuff.

So, I get up today and go over the car once more with Z6 to make sure it is perfectly clean. I mix 2 ounces of Zaino with 9 drops of ZFX, mix for 90 seconds, wait about five minutes, shake again and start applying.

Everyhting goes on easy and after about 30-40 minutes I start to remove the polish. BTW, it was about 70-75 degrees today, cool, but somewhat moist out.

When I started to remove the polish I had no problem getting the top layer of polish off so that the paint felt perfectly smooth, but fine polish application streaks were present all over the hood and trunk primarily, with less issues on the vertical parts of the body. It was essentially impossible for me to get out the fine application streaks until I let it go for about another 30 minutes and then wipped it thoroughly with more Z6.

At this time, it seemed as though I had gotten all of the marks off so I re-polished the trunk and hood and had pretty much the same issues.

Then, when I went out tonight and dew was just starting to form on the car it almost looked like the dew was forming in specific areas where there might still some polish residue remaining, judging by the patterns on the hood, roof and trunk. Again, this was only observed on the horizontal surfaces of the car where I had a lot of troubles.

What gives?

Did I use too much ZFX (even though they said to use up to 10 drops for 2 ounces)? Everyhting else was perfect--perfect preparation of the paint, perfect 100% cotton towels. While this ZFX saved the application of Z1, removing it was much mroe of a pain in the ass then the old way.

Any ideas?
Old 09-21-2003, 04:29 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

I used 7 drops when I made my batch, it just worked out better that way with a darker colored car. I tried 10 and it was a little too thick, so I backed off and went with 6, then 8 and finally settled on 7 drops. I also polished my car in about 70 degrees in my garage, so I guess the conditions were the same.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I had the same streaking problem as you did. You are putting it on too thick. Trust me. You put so little on its to the point where you are certain you don't have enough, but actually that is the perfect amount. Its a weird product, but when used correctly it is amazing.

BTW.... this should be posted in the "Detailing" Forum.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:50 AM
Team Owner

As mentioned by others earlier I agree that you put TOO MUCH product on the car at once.
I usually fill the mixing bottle about 2/3 full and put 5-6 drops of ZFX in there.
This is enough to do TWO APPLICATIONS on the car and I sometimes have some left over.
I apply, let dry and then wipe off and repeat.

2-ounces applied all at once will probably not dry properly even with ZFX.

Shawn S
Old 09-22-2003, 05:31 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I had the same streaking problems with Zaino and I did not use too much. IMHO Zaino is overrated, I went back to Meguairs products.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:23 AM
whrindnyoubegn

Originally posted by mrsteve
I had the same streaking problem as you did. You are putting it on too thick. Trust me. You put so little on its to the point where you are certain you don't have enough, but actually that is the perfect amount. Its a weird product, but when used correctly it is amazing.

BTW.... this should be posted in the "Detailing" Forum.
When applying Zaino, you really want to put on *thin* layers. *THIN.* When I put Zaino on my car, I usually fill the bottle about 1/3 of the way full with Z2, and then add about 3 drops of ZFX. Apply a thin layer of Z2, then buff off. Then, apply a layer of Z6. I'm not sure what's going on here...

So, I get up today and go over the car once more with Z6 to make sure it is perfectly clean
...but the Z6 is the gloss enhancer, not a cleaner. It is to be applied after every coat of Z2, to make the finish shine. If you don't apply Z6 after every coat of Z2, I wouldn't be suprised if the finish remains sort of dull.

Zaino products are complex in that you really have to go through all the motions to get the end result you want, but if you do, you really do get a superior finish that LASTS a long time.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:22 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by dj5
I had the same streaking problems with Zaino and I did not use too much. IMHO Zaino is overrated, I went back to Meguairs products.
I agree….. Why don’t you send me all that useless leftover crap so it’s not cluttering up your garage?

I’ll take it off you hands for FREE since I’m such a nice guy.

Shawn S
Old 09-22-2003, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Actually, I use very very thin layers as well, but I still get the streaking. I use about 2/3 bottle and I can put 3 layers on the car....and I only put like 3-4 drops of ZFX in. When I apply it, I can't really see it, but in the right angle and lighting, I see the streaks of it applied. After I take it off, the are feels and looks great.

However, when the dew forms on it or when the dust starts to collect, it forms in the pattern of the application (streaks). It's annoying and could never figure out what to do with it.

Another thing is that make sure you use some sort of lubricant when you clay or the clay bar may leave marks. The clay marks require a lot of rubbing to get it off.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

i only put like 3~4 drops and fill the bottle up 2/3.

try this
pour like 1/3 in pour in 1~2 drops of zfx, then pour the rest of the 1/3 and drop in another 1~2 drops of zfx. mixes much easier
Old 09-22-2003, 04:26 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Cool--so I'm not the only one.

I didn't apply it too too thick--I used about 1.5 ounces for the entire car with two coats on the trunk and hood. But, it appeared as though even a super-thin coat would have done the same since I was able to easily get the thicker, top layer off, but a very thin film persisted. Zaino without ZFX would go on as thick as you'd like and always came off easy.

Now, next question--if I put another coat on do I still need to add ZFX to the Z2?

Overall, after much effort, the car did look great today and a number of people commented on it at work. But, using ZFX was far more frustrating then regular Zaino. I think I'll probably go back to the regular procedure if applying very, very thin layers does not cure the problem.

Also, I only used Z6 to get the dust off of the car before polishing it, not to clean it. And, after the claybar the paint was absolutely perfect, so I don't think that was it.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

jz if you don't want the rest of the ZFX i'll come pick it up @