Anyone have EZ PASS or other electronic Toll Collection system on their CL ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have EZ PASS or other electronic Toll Collection system on their CL ???

I just signed up for EZ Pass, which is an electronic toll collection system used in PA, NJ, NY & DE.
No waiting at tollbooths for Turnpikes, bridges & other participating toll roads.

There is a small (3” x 3” x ½”Thk) module that you need to mount on the windshield of your car.
The instructions say to put it one inch below any tinted section of the windshield glass.

I’m just wondering if anyone has come up with any “creative” places to mount one of theses suckers to make it less intrusive while still being functional.
Please share your tips & experiences with the system.

Thanks,
Shawn S
Old 01-18-2002, 07:34 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Cali version called FasTrak. I didn't mount it!!!!!!!! I just hold it up to my windshield by my rearview mirror when I go through the toll booth!!!! I keep it in my center console!!!! Looks too fugly to mount it on the windshield!!!!
Old 01-18-2002, 07:46 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Shaun, I had EZPass when I lived up there. I never mounted it - I just held it up each time I went through the toll booth.

If you do mount it, be sure you put it BELOW the dot matrix behind the rear-view mirror.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:59 PM
NHB for FUN

I have ezpass
I bought ezpass tag holder from pep boys for 5 bucks to avoid
gluing the double velcro on the glass....
I just put it to the right of the dotted matrix on the windshield
behind the tint. This way it does not bother me while I am driving
and it's hard to see it behind the tint so it does not attract too much attention
works fine from behind the tint
Old 01-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

My FasTrak transponder sits on my dash until I take a corner at high speeds and then it ends up on the floor.

I know in CA, even if you don't hold the transponder up to the window and the camera takes a picture of your rear lisence plate, as long as your plate is registered with FasTrak, there is no penalty other than the fee to use the toll road.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:49 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have EZ pass but i did not mount it..
I think if someone has it mnounted some idiot would steal it.
So i just keep it in my glove box and hold it up when im at the toll.. EZ pass is the shiznit!!
Old 01-18-2002, 09:50 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(ernie) eclipse 23 has one mounted on his front pate..
Old 01-18-2002, 10:17 PM
Buckle Up

Hey Shawn...we have the in Florida too. I just hold it up to the windshield when I go threw. In some states with front licesne plates, I read that theres a frame for your plate with the EZPass technology in it. Call up the DMV.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Heh, Mine's hidden, soo hidden no one can ever find it muhhahahhaha. It's not on my front bumper anymore and it's not on my dash or my windshield AND it works. ANyone car to take a guess?
Old 01-18-2002, 10:31 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by StonedCL
So i just keep it in my glove box and hold it up when im at the toll.. EZ pass is the shiznit!!
Same here, except mine is in the center console.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:48 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I use EZPass but I bought a holder at the car wash that affixes to the windshield via suction cups. That way I don't have to put those ugly permanent mounts on the inside of the windshield.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:58 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Originally posted by eclipse23
Heh, Mine's hidden, soo hidden no one can ever find it muhhahahhaha. It's not on my front bumper anymore and it's not on my dash or my windshield AND it works. ANyone car to take a guess?
You've gutted the insides of the EZPass and put it in the A-pilar... or maybe behind or inside the rearview mirror... or... hmm... some how got the unit under the dash but close close to the under surface so it still works... or.... shit, I need to be in the car to come up w/ some more ideas.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:14 PM
White Lightning

in Florida we have that called SunPass. I never attach it to my windshield...i put it away and whenever i go through a toll i just putit on the dash then put it away.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:46 PM
Gotta Get an SUV :-(

In OK it is called PikePass

I painted mine flat black and mounted it high up on the drivers side windsheild behind the tint. My parking garage also has mine on file and the gate auto-opens for me when I get to it on the morning. Mounting it here made the gate activate 10 feet earlier so now I don't even have to come to a stop.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Racer

Re: Anyone have EZ PASS or other electronic Toll Collection system on their CL ???

Originally posted by Shawn S
I’m just wondering if anyone has come up with any “creative” places to mount one of theses suckers to make it less intrusive while still being functional.
Please share your tips & experiences with the system.
I have EZ-Pass from the PA turnpike. I didn't listen to their instructions and mounted mine all the way at the top of the windshield in the tinted area. I also mounted it on the passenger side (just next to the rearview mirror) so it's completely out of my field of view. I didn't want to mount it above/behind the rearview mirror for fear that the mesh (or dot matrix as some call it) that's on the windshield in that area would get damaged if I ever wanted to take EZ-Pass out of my car completely in the future. I've never had a problem with it mounted where it is. I login to the PA turnpike EZ-Pass website from time to time and everything is in order. I see my 10 transactions per week.

I don't feel like going outside and taking a picture to show you where it is so this pic that I took a while ago will have to do. If you look really closely on the passenger side (right where the tint starts) you can see the white bottom of the EZ-Pass unit. That's why I like putting it behind the tint so you can't see it because it's an ugly white box.

Old 01-19-2002, 12:20 AM
do it yourself, !

Originally posted by StonedCL
Jeez..just mount that shiieet. To the right of the rear view and from your angle, sitting in the driver's seat you can't even see it.

In NY if you forget to put it up when going through the Toll or if it doesn't read and you're one of those idiots that don't get through and try to back up the little toll collector will come by and give you a fat TICKET if they dont see it mounted...its happened to my sister and she was charged 10 bucks for not having it mounted.

Your best bet is to use the suctions that they give you FREE.

And no one's gonna break into your window and steal it..do you know why??? Because its like a credit card, if you report it stolen and somone uses it, they will trace it back to a picture of the license plate the next time its used. And if that person is dumb enough to use it over and over once they go by and it triggers an alert from their Toll computer..the cop will chase after him when he passes the Toll....

I always hate when people point it out on my window and ask..why do youkeep it up there?? people can steal it!! Well you gotta be a huge fuckin moron to steal it and use it. Is someoen actually going to take it and go over the bridge and make u-turns just to charge up ummmm....25 bucks???
Old 01-19-2002, 12:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Neech

You've gutted the insides of the EZPass and put it in the A-pilar... or maybe behind or inside the rearview mirror... or... hmm... some how got the unit under the dash but close close to the under surface so it still works... or.... shit, I need to be in the car to come up w/ some more ideas.
WE HAVE A WINNER!

Ok, here's the deal :

Get a dremel,

PRY, CUT, DREMEL, REMOVE the actual chip from the plastic housing that the ezpass chip is held in.

pop off the plastic A-pillar, dremel out a channel and glue it in there.

Replace A-pillar, test, IT WORKS!

I'M A GENIOUS!!
Old 01-19-2002, 07:51 AM
on bin laden

Wanna know how I do it???

haha, no tolls here fockers ...

:pfawk:
Old 01-19-2002, 08:29 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally posted by AztecRol
I have the Cali version called FasTrak. I didn't mount it!!!!!!!! I just hold it up to my windshield by my rearview mirror when I go through the toll booth!!!! I keep it in my center console!!!! Looks too fugly to mount it on the windshield!!!!

I have the same thing a 407ETR toll box..I just keep it in the center console until I need to pull it out when going thru the gates....
Old 01-19-2002, 10:14 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I have EZPass...

I mostly agree with langjae...

I have it mounted with the stickies directly behind the rear-view mirror.

The stickies are not permanent in anyway... they will peel right off.

The reason I don't have it concealed is because when you use it in a non-EZPass only lane... the tellers check to see if you have it in your windshield... and dont bother you.

Also, if the EZ Pass doesnt light up. You can still prove you had a EZ Pass that just didnt work...

Personally I prefer it on the windshield.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah in FL we have SunPass. I also have Easy Pass, for when I go the the NY Area. I must say the Fl one is SOO HUGE compared to the thin Easy Pass. The SunnPass on my Truck is mounted normally. The SunPass in my Cl-S I just stick on the dash when I need to use it, Then it goes into the console. The easy pass is in my house untill I go to NYC.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Instructor

This is probably the most conventional and loser way, but I have an Illinois I-Pass that I use in both cars. I just throw it on the dash when I go through.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:35 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Originally posted by eclipse23

WE HAVE A WINNER!
Ok, here's the deal :
Get a dremel,
PRY, CUT, DREMEL, REMOVE the actual chip from the plastic housing that the ezpass chip is held in.
pop off the plastic A-pillar, dremel out a channel and glue it in there.
Replace A-pillar, test, IT WORKS!
I'M A GENIOUS!!
My next question is what happens if/when you return it to EZPass? Technically, it belongs to them and you're damaging it with this mod so, do you have to pay for it when the time comes?

I like the idea tho. One draw back is if you're with someone else who' driving and they don't have one, you can't just take yours with you for the trip.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:09 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the ideas so far.
For right now it’s just going to be staying in the console because this car is going BYE-BYE in a few weeks.

I like Eclipse’s idea, but would be afraid of what happens when you need to turn it in.
I checked the literature and there is a charge of 22.50 if you lose or damage the tag.
I guess this would easily qualify as damage.

I’ll probably just end up painting it BLACK and mounting it up behind the tint strip when my new car comes in.
Just in the tint area, not the “dots” if people say it works there.

Shawn S
Old 01-19-2002, 08:28 PM
foe
Racer

It better not to mount it, people can steal them like radar detectors, just keep it in your dash.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Shawn S
Thanks for the ideas so far.
For right now it’s just going to be staying in the console because this car is going BYE-BYE in a few weeks.

I like Eclipse’s idea, but would be afraid of what happens when you need to turn it in.
I checked the literature and there is a charge of 22.50 if you lose or damage the tag.
I guess this would easily qualify as damage.

I’ll probably just end up painting it BLACK and mounting it up behind the tint strip when my new car comes in.
Just in the tint area, not the “dots” if people say it works there.

Shawn S
Someone backed into me and destroyed the housing Really, that's what happened
Old 01-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

The ones in FL you buy. They are yours to keep. $25 They also would be harder to take apart. The FL ones have a LCD that shows the amount of the toll you paid, & the account balance.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Instructor

try right behind the inspection sticker on the front windshield. no one will be able to see it there...
Old 01-21-2002, 12:30 AM
Rod
Drifting

Just mount it up high on the passenger side of the windshield behind the rear view mirror. That's where I have mine and it still works behind the tinted area. If you mount it close enough to the rear view mirror (right next to it), it'll never get in your way. I don't even notice it in the car anymore. It's much easier than having to pull it out of the center console everytime you're going through a toll. I ended up mounting it b/c I'd remember to take out the Sunpass unit when I had already gone though the toll.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:09 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

God how I just LOVE the serious technical discussion that goes on here...What next? how to install license plates?
Old 01-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I keep mine in my glove compartment and just throw it on the dash right before toll then speed up then the speed pass falls down from the dash then I just catch it and throw it back in the glove compartment. personally I don't like stuff on the windshield.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by tuRb0mikEy
God how I just LOVE the serious technical discussion that goes on here...What next? how to install license plates?
Well we usually sit around and talk bout the Accords we kill, but this got more interest this week :P