Anybody raced an Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 12:59 PM
Adult Supervision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody raced an Audi S4?

This was the car which I was about to buy until the CL-S came out. I am wondering if anyone has gone up against the bi-turbo? You think the V-Tec sounds cool - you should hear the turbos wind up - and that car launches!

------------------
MikeS 18 - '01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT, only 2 scratched rims
Old 01-17-2001, 01:25 PM

Coming out of work about 2 weeks ago, I was behind a silver one that regularly parks in my lot here at the office.

We were both turning left, and he let it fly, and so did I. I shot over to the far lane, and he stuck to the inside lane.

My lane was coming close to ending when I hit Vtec Range and blew by him. I kept on it in the straight away until I hit 100 and let off. He was a good 3-4 car lengths on it.

We stopped at the golf course and talked. His was an auto, and thats the only way I took him. He was getting on it too. And his was stock.

An manual with a skilled driver will SMOKE us, hands down.

They are phat cars, and I'm considering one for myself, in the blue color.
Old 01-17-2001, 06:40 PM
Adult Supervision

They had three great colors: the yellow, which took some guts to get - kind of like PDG on ours, then two blues both of which were very nice.

They always complained on the Audiworld board that they were two different cars: the stick and the auto.

------------------
MikeS 18 - '01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT, only 2 scratched rims
Old 01-18-2001, 11:23 AM
Nosferatu

The manual is something like a whole sec. faster in the quarter than the auto. (Even though some dealerships tell you it's the same since "it utilizes the same tiptronic automatic transmission as the new Porsche 911 Turbo." Nice run anyway though. Just remember, watch out for those sticks and modded ones. I know they have chip/computer upgrades that boost power by up to 40hp! (for a price of course). The car is majorly detuned from European specs and the chip just replaces the programming with that of the euro spec S4. Then you have exhaust, intakes, etc.etc. and you have one heck of a screamer....

------------------
Andrew S.
2000 Dark Forest Green GTP/GTX
14.413@95.03

My Mod Page

2001 San Marino Red Acura 3.2 CL Type S
* No Mods Yet, though planned *
Old 01-18-2001, 01:56 PM
foolio at heart

i've always liked those cars too. So much potential with turbocharged vehicles. Just turn up the boost and watch it fly.
Old 01-24-2001, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Yeah, turbo cars fly!!!! but without the right skills, you'll watch yourself die!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blxmjx:
i've always liked those cars too. So much potential with turbocharged vehicles. Just turn up the boost and watch it fly.</font>
Old 01-24-2001, 03:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Kensteele raced a S4 at the track and lost. Don't remember which board it was on though.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-24-2001, 12:13 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
first of all... I test drove an Automatic S4 and was incredibly unimpressed. Felt like a snail to me.

second... I happened to race one last week. Black S4... driven by a 40-something male... was definately a manual because he rolled a little at a stop light.

At about 20mph we were side by side cruising down the road... and he looked over at me... gave me a dirty look... and gunned it...

I floored it and pulled into his lane then back over to mine and by the time we hit 60 I was passed him.

Bitch pleez.

The Audi S4 rules in Gran Tourismo 2 though! Too bad it sucks in real life

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 01-24-2001, 12:41 PM
magnet

yeah i smoked one of those s4 the other day they are not that fast unles you upgrade the computer then watch out 30hp gain

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)paxton fuel pressure regulator, slammed on nex suspension

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
Old 01-25-2001, 04:39 AM
Drifting

Don't s4s run 250 turbo hp with the quattro awd?
Anyone know anything about the s6?

------------------
True Hip-hop junkie

[This message has been edited by SoundSpeed (edited 01-25-2001).]
Old 01-28-2001, 03:34 AM
1st Gear

Even without any mods the S4 is quicker than the CL.....Anyone that thinks otherwise is simply kidding themselves
Old 01-28-2001, 05:42 AM
1st Gear

You must be smoking crack. Either that or you have incredibly low self-esteem or some kind of inferiority complex that brings forth such delusional ideas that a CLS can even hold a candle to an S4. You have it all wrong... although vtec is great high in the rev band, at 60mph is where the S4 should leave you in the dust. Forced induction with lots of low end torque will embarass vtec anytime. If you passed that 6-speed S4 at 60, either the driver must have missed a shift and doesn't know how to drive or decided to change CD selections on the stereo.

And that would be a stock S4 I'm referring to. A friend of mine with an S4 spent $600 to have it chipped. That's another story. On the average, a chip will simply raise the boost levels of the 2 turbos and crank out a whopping 310 hp. That's not the impressive part..... since it is forced induction, the torque is delivered down low and early over a broad rpm range. A chip raises torque from the stock 260 foot pounds it had to an insane 370 foot pounds. And it doesn't stop there since I heard some audi tuners are making more go-fast kits for the S4 like turbo replacements that will hit upwards of 450 hp. It's expensive but pretty crazy for a 4-door sedan. A chipped S4 can run with a C5 vette on the open road no problem. I have seen it. Your CLS can stay in the back and take pictures.

Get real my man.

by the way, I was on the fence between the CLS or an S4 or an A62.7T but now I'm getting an S4 for sure.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
first of all... I test drove an Automatic S4 and was incredibly unimpressed. Felt like a snail to me.

second... I happened to race one last week. Black S4... driven by a 40-something male... was definately a manual because he rolled a little at a stop light.

At about 20mph we were side by side cruising down the road... and he looked over at me... gave me a dirty look... and gunned it...

I floored it and pulled into his lane then back over to mine and by the time we hit 60 I was passed him.

Bitch pleez.

The Audi S4 rules in Gran Tourismo 2 though! Too bad it sucks in real life

</font>
Old 01-28-2001, 02:18 PM
4th Gear

See that’s the problem with street racing and not actually going to the track, you have no idea what sort of yahoo is next to you and proclaim victory and how “slow” the other car is.

I did consider the CL-S before I bought a tip S4...just found the CL too passionless. I had an Accord V6 coupe which was the last Honda I’ll own for a while, no brakes, crappy handling and underpowered. The CL-S seemed to be the Accord Coupe done right but it just didn’t feel the same as the S4 and the back doors are handy for client’s with the S4. Whoever posted the tip S4 was a dog was full of s**t, all the numbers favor the S4 tip vs. CL-S and the S4 has monster torque from 1850rpm so does NOT feel slow. I’ve driven both, you should too.

The stock tip S4 does 0-60 in 6.2 and the 1/4 in 14.6 by our tests. That’s somewhere within CL-S range and it’s a fair comparison between that and a tip S4. That would be a good race but, the S4 stock has a speed limiter to 143mph

The 6-speed is 0-60 in 5.5 and 1/4 in 14.1 WAY out of the range of a CL-S. Chipped, mid to low 13’s and 0-60 in 4.8-4.9. Nobody I know doesn’t have a chip in their S4. The top speed of a chipped S4 is around 170mph:

http://www.gr8ride.com/cgi-bin/pm/co...pean&oid=11838

Now heres the rub. I didn’t put any fancy aftermarket stuff on my tip S4, I put a $600 ECU chip (and a $300 transmission chip) and did a 13.8 at a dragstrip (carlsbad). An A6 2,7t buddy of mine with the same chip (GIAC) ran 14.0’s all day long.

No guys...someone post a timeslip that’s REMOTELY near this. No BS “oh my car is so fast” get a timeslip, go to a dragstrip and find out how fast your car IS and how fast YOU can drive it. I don’t mean to be a troll, I read this forum quite a bit because I was actually asked to race a CL-S in a pro series but had to decline. I race a Honda Civic and have owned a large number of Hondas/Acuras so am not one of these idiots who simply flames japanese cars. Though the S4 has better fit and finish than any of the Hondas/Acuras I’ve owned, it certainly isn’t likely to have the amazing reliability...that’s what you trade for a German car. Hate to see a good forum filled with BS. Yes, I’m sure some of you “beat” S4’s...there’s no accounting for conditions or drivers but don’t kid yourselves.

Not sure if you can view this without a log-in but here’s the slip. I’m car 11 and a poster handle “Ming 2.7t” is the A6 2.7t (same engine as the S4) on the left. I’m well known on AW and a number of people from the board were there...it’s no BS.

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/4061/timeslip.jpg
Old 01-28-2001, 02:24 PM
4th Gear

dangit, the timeslip isn’t viewable through this forum...sorry.

Any of you guys want to meet up at Carlsbad drags though? They‘re open Saturday from 1-5 and you can get a ton of runs in. You just need a helmet and it’s like 20 bucks. Good fun and you will know what YOU can get out of your car.
Old 01-28-2001, 09:23 PM
7th Gear

Not here to flame don't worry, i have more class than that. I am however, VERY VERY surprised that he said they were slow, i have had mine for about a week or so and love it very much, i too also LOVE the way the cl's look. Just heard on another board that this site was saying S4's suck, i think i have found differently, cl's class matches its owners but i can't say the same for the board from where i heard the rumors, see ya around fellas!

------------------
2001 Negaro blue S-4, no mods, chip will be in within 6 mos.
Old 01-29-2001, 01:51 AM
The Creator

fair enough...

i know the S4 is supposed to rock our world... and i can take that... (read through most my posts... I admit that the CL-S isnt the cats meow) but the S4 really doesnt impress me.

Like I said... Ive only had 2 experience with the S4... a test drive... and a shitty race.

Race was prolly a fluke by the numbers... who knows... but either way... what use is fast a car if you cant drive it right?

The automatic S4 I drove was just plain slow. Amazingly slow. There was nothing fast feeling about it... I honestly feel that the driving experience I got from it was more boring then the one I used to get in my 3.2 TL. Maybe I need to experience it in the twisties... and maybe Im nuts... but the straight line driving on that car left me incredibly unimpressed.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-29-2001, 03:40 AM
7th Gear

yea, if u were driving an automatic then probably have better reason to be less impressed! I think the numbers are slightly different for 1/4 mile, 0-60 but still is a difference with auto's(just like any car)! Im looking at a chip once its broken in and then will be pushing 315hp, then my sights are set on faster more expensive competition(caugh*porsche*corvette*caugh)

------------------
Old 01-29-2001, 03:46 AM
7th Gear

unless ofcourse they are modded, then well, i'll have fun trying!!!

------------------
Old 01-29-2001, 04:04 AM
Intermediate

Sorry, I know this is nitpicky, but it's spelled nogaro, not negaro.

/end nitpicking

------------------
'01 S4
Old 01-29-2001, 04:18 AM
5th Gear

my bad, can't u tell i've only had it for about one week? Is that right? u have a 2001 S4 also? tell me about it!? Any mods yet?

------------------
2001 Nogaro blue S4,6 speed with all options, 65 hp chip gain coming soon!!
Old 01-29-2001, 04:25 AM
5th Gear

if u didn't already noticed i had to change it! im a dumbass

------------------
Old 01-30-2001, 01:53 AM
Instructor

S4 are hot and will smoke us, aftermarket support is there for them, A good friend of mine is getting a manny s4 in may so i will run, he is getting it chipped, but i will agree to get smoked b4 the chip is put in, He was on the waiting list for a new m3 but they keep pushing it back and he loves his a4, so he going for a blue s4 with that multi colored interior!
Old 01-30-2001, 03:13 PM
Adult Supervision

I still like that car alot. Everytime I see one (this morning) I wish I had another 10K to spend on that car - but I didn't and I didn't.

I think we would love to see an S4 owner come to one of the local meets so we could check it out. I actually was turned onto the CLS after trolling on the audiworld S4 forum for about 4 months by an owner who's fiance had and S4 and he had a PDG CLS (he was waiting for the RS4 to come out and short leased his CLS) He had a good perspective on both cars - CLS is more euro-racer and less luxury and the CLS was a little weak on the race-track features but a great driver with lots of toys. Still a true statement.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 01-30-2001, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

01NogaroS4 -
I'm bone stock (for now). As mentioned above, you might want to check out the forums on www.audiworld.com, which is the largest/most active S4-related forum I've seen around. I just look around here occasionally since I think the CL-S is a sweet car (woulda been a serious toss up between a CL-S and a S4 if the CL-S was out when I was buying). Plus looking for the occasional race story

------------------
'01 S4
Old 01-30-2001, 03:46 PM
Adult Supervision

S4 Guys,

When I was trolling on the AW-net most of you were in the midst of the throttle boots ripping under severe boost and/or chipping. Have the cars had other systemic issue like that? It did not seem to be a biggie - mostly a nuisance to go get fixed.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 01-30-2001, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Nope, no other issues like that. Keep in mind of course, it's more likely that someone's gonna post "xyz is wrong with my car" as opposed to "my car is running fine today".

------------------
'01 S4
Old 01-31-2001, 12:04 AM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BSOD:
Nope, no other issues like that. Keep in mind of course, it's more likely that someone's gonna post "xyz is wrong with my car" as opposed to "my car is running fine today".

</font>
I understand - I was just curious on reliability and warranty issues. We have our list of quirks defects pet peeves as well.

------------------
Old 01-31-2001, 03:28 AM
Intermediate

There have been some turbo failures, but most if not all, have been fixed/replaced under warranty. There was a "problem" with some of the earlier turbos and related parts, which have been replaced with improved parts in the newer builds.

Understandably, yeah, every car has it's quirks. But if they built a "perfect" car, they'd put all the mechanics out of business (I wonder if there are any Daewoo mechanics....)

------------------
'01 S4
Old 02-04-2001, 10:54 PM
5th Gear

BSOD-
Thats cool, i might end up chipping mine this next week and then be looking at/around 315hp, i think around 210hp to wheels, im gonna go through Neuspeed though, not a chip that most audiworld.com guys haven't used, the cost is what is so attractive to me, see ya around man, also MIKES 18- Haven't had any problems, the car is too damn new to have had any*crossmyfingers* and i don't really expect any after chip just because it is a gentle but noticeable boost in turbos psi!

------------------
Old 02-06-2001, 11:56 PM
Cruisin'

Gotta encourage NASA to give full disclosure here.

NASA, didn't you post that you were running 100 octane gas and spraying down your intercooler on the day you ran a 13.8@100? And on a slippery track to boot which actually seems to help Quattros run quicker? (too much traction can actually hurt accel times)

That hardly seems like everyday driving conditions which would probably conspire to make you slower (I've seen 14.4, 14.7, etc. posted by you).

Anyways, the S4 is a fine car, but on the road, especially on a roll where the launch advantage of Quattro is negated, a CL-S (and now TL-S) should be very close to a stock tip-S4 in _straight line_ driving. This is as one would expect given the similar power to weight ratios (and the CL-S has a great torque curve for a NA motor). The CL-S has repeatedly trapped in the 96-97 mph range in mag tests and track results seem to back that up. That's on par with a tip-S4 right?

The stock 6-spd S4 should be somewhat quicker (usually see 98-100 mph traps), but not blow you away quicker unless you're playing off the line with a driver willing to play hard with the clutch.

Chipped? Certainly that's a big power boost, but the C class V6's in the Accord, CL/TL, etc. are not like most Honda motors. They have a ton of power left, as witnessed by the easy 30 wheel hp gains from just a header. So, while 300 hp S4's are common, so are 290 hp CL-S's (and soon TL-S's hopefully).

Anyway, just keeping everyone honest. If I were a CL-S owner, I wouldn't play with Quattros off the line, nor would I want to race beyond 3rd gear. If the guy you're racing with has installed a water spray for the IC and has 100 octane in the tank then you may also have problems :-), but that's probably rare. If they're chipped, you better have a header, but who wouldn't given the results? How you do in the corners depends more on your cojones if you're playing on the street :-)

UL
Old 02-07-2001, 02:26 AM
Instructor

I didn't race one. But this past weekend was cruising around w/ a buddy w/ a M3. We hooked up with a yellow S4, RX-7 w/ Japanese conversion and a Civic Si. I kinda laid back cause I've already raced my friend's M3, it's a '99. CLS is no match for it off the line, but can hold it's own until 4th gear. Oh yeah mine is bone stock. The Civic surprised us all when the RX-7 took off and reeled it in, we're thinking it was runnning juice. Mind you this was just on the street and only for brief burst of time. That puppy chirped going into third!!? Stock looking too, except for a slightly bigger tailpipe. By the way the night before my buddy was in car with me and we clowned a corvette, 95'ish model. Again no delusions... guy was a really bad bad driver. Fun though. Beat him twice off the line and he couldn't get away from me. Was he racing? Yes cause he was the one who revved and launched at a light. Call BS but it's true. Doesn't matter how fast your car is if you can't drive you can't drive. Probably also underestimated what the CLS had. BTW our stock tires suck the big one. Sorry for the long post.
Old 02-07-2001, 12:57 PM
uu
Burning Brakes

a friend of mine has a S4, never raced him... well, never dare, 5 words...

"get out of s4's way"

i don't know how s4 is so fast, it is 4 wheel drive, about same weight as cls, 10 less hp and only 24 more torque, I was thinking maybe S4 has ultra low gear, but it has formidable top speed. it must have very efficient engine, cut the friction down to minimum, gotta say, damn german engineering does kick ass.

------------------
2001 Stock Black/Black CL Type S
since 11/29/00
1000+ miles now and climbing
Old 02-07-2001, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell the S4 on paper has some impressive specs... You have to look at the fact that the engine is a bi-turbo V6 that hits a torque of 258 Ftlbs at 1850 rpms... and depending on gearing and the driver's ability... you know the drill...

I have had a few races at red lights and highways... I always consider the paper specs.. Specs do not speak of the car entirely... but it does make up for a less skilled driver at times.
Old 02-08-2001, 12:22 AM
The Creator

I think I like the S4 more now that I see how cool the owners are!

Thanks for the comments guys...

ultimate lurker: us CL-S guys won't race jack shit beyond 3rd gear thats where we die. we spank other Japanese cars beyond 3rd gear because they have econo-gears also... but I think you guys prolly have a lot of heft left well beyond that third gear.

either way... I am trying to avoid that 115mph change over from 3rd to 4th now anyway... my license is damn near gone

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 02-09-2001, 12:06 AM
Cruisin'

Just to clarify, I own neither a CL-S or S4, although I have considered both cars seriously - each has substantial strengths and some important shortcomings. I'm just a generalist. I appreciate all sorts of cars and lurk on all kinds of forums. Only recently have I decided to start posting.

Cheers.

UL
Old 02-09-2001, 04:03 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
I think I like the S4 more now that I see how cool the owners are! </font>
Soopa,

I agree totally. I hung out on the audiworld.com site similar to what Nootch is doing here and really enjoyed the site - good bunch of guys and a great car...just $10k more than my budget! And I didn't care about service as I worked 3 doors from an Audi dealer at the time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MikeS 18 (edited 02-09-2001).]
Old 02-09-2001, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I raced my friends silver S4 this past summer, I love my car and I would love to say I smoked the S4, but I got crushed! I would say he had about 4 car lengths in front of me. His is stick by the way... At the time I didnt exactly master the SS mode, but I really DOUBT I would have beat him even if I was the most skilled CL-S driver.

------------------
'01 Silver
TYPE-S Navi/Spoiler
Old 02-09-2001, 10:33 PM
Instructor

I raced the S4 Tip that was in question of its times. In fact I was in the next lane racing him when he ran the 13.8 at Carlsbad. His splits were:
60' 2.090
330' 5.858
1/8 8.969@79.27
1/4 13.872@100.17

I was in my A6 2.7T Tiptronic and have the timeslip right here before me but no scanner. Since I'm posting my numbers are:
60' 2.007
330' 5.833
1/8 9.004@77.02
1/4 14.027@98.22
The S4 just pulled the whole way, I had a very good view- from BEHIND LOL!!! FYI
Was a previous 3.0CL owner, gonna take a look at the 4 door TL-S when it comes out.
Old 02-10-2001, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

Ah, the 13.8 and the 14.7s...

The tip S4 actually requires some technique to launch. Ming really got it nailed with his A6 2.7t and managed a 1.9 60’ time vs my best 2.0x. My previous best had been at Pomona where I had run a 14.2 but it was well into the 90s and that’s BAD for turbos...these cars heatsoak REALLY quickly if you can’t drive them for a few minutes. I did go to Carlsbad one day but had a bad tank of gas and the ECU will automatically retard the timing to 0 if it detects pre-ignition and I blew that whole day because it kept doing that.

The best stock tip times we’ve seen were 14.6 which should be pretty close to a CL-S, they vary WIDELY in the magazines and I haven’t ever seen anyone take on to a strip to get an actual run. The chips give HUGE performance gains on the S4 because of the biturbo arrangement. We dynoed up to 60hp gained and an increase of 100ft lbs of torque. The torque peak is as low as 2500rpm and the torque converter on the S4 will hold 2300rpm with the brakes on so it is possible to launch a tip in the power band from a stand still. I never tried power-braking in a CL-S but would imagine you couldn’t hold enough revs to be near the VTEC cams.

I just traded in my tip on a 6-speed. Wasn’t commuting any more and needed more shifting practice between races...was just getting too rusty when I stepped into the race car.

The 13.8 run I did was a sort of “ultimate” run, I picked the perfect conditions to go to the strip. I was interested in what the car was capible of and believe I came close. However, I was able to do 14.2’s all day in my sleep which is pretty darn fast for an auto. The stock 6-speed is good for 14.1 in the magazines but I’ve got to break it in before I go take it to the strip. Then it gets chipped...hehehehe.
Old 02-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

A note about NASA's time also, regarding the water sprayed intercoolers. I believe he just sprayed them down inbetween runs with a water bottle type thing (like a windex spray bottle with water). This was to help against the heat soaking between runs as mentioned earlier. An actual installed water spraying device for the IC's is something else (which a few people have been known to do), and actually can give a bit of power increase.

------------------
'01 S4

Quick Reply: Anybody raced an Audi S4?