Anybody been to a racing school?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 10:09 PM
Adult Supervision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody been to a racing school?

And how was it? Details details details.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 04-08-2001, 10:10 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I love to know more, I prefer that the racing school is in NH/MA.

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirros, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/10/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5 Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 04-08-2001, 10:21 PM
Instructor

I recently went to a BMW Ultimate Driving Experience. It's a 2 hour driving course in your choice of car. I chose the X5 4.0. You learn defensive driving technique's and racing technique's on a race course. After the course you race for the best time. That part was the best. i got a 17.35. The best instructr got a 16.50.
After all this you get to any and as many BMW's they have for Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Foundation. For every mile you drive one of the BMW's, BMW donate's a dollar to that foundation.

------------------
Sundance Gold
Comptech spring's
Still waiting for my car audio system to arrive
M-10 Blinder for sale/trade
V1-Remote for sale
Old 04-08-2001, 11:31 PM
Racer

I went to the Derek Daly driving school at the Vegas Speedway, it was f**king awesome! It was my 21st birthday present. There are a couple of package options, but the one I did was a 2-day road course and we drove modified Z3s. Since this was two years ago already (sheeesh), their program was new and I got 1-on-1 instruction with the head instructor. They are sponsored by BMW and I got to learn a bunch of techniques including skid recovery. They had a 328 with this hydraulic castor system which would lift the car slightly off the ground so you could loose control and practice recovery.

They also have those Formula Ford style mini-indy cars which have a better power-to-weight ratio than the C5 Corvette, but that was a different package. You can also get your SCCA licence through them. Some day I'll go back for the 5 day course. I'd recommend them to anyone!

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
AeM cAi
Old 04-09-2001, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeS 18:
And how was it? Details details details.

</font>
I don't know if this would classify as a driving school (I personally thought it was, especially when I really learned the limits of my car and had it going sideways). Back in Febraury there was a two day event at the Texas World Speedway sponsored by John Eagle Honda of Houston. Awesome track and would recommend anyone who ahsn't done it yet to do it. Wasn't at all competitive, but again taught you the limts of the car in a safe environment.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 04-09-2001, 02:20 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
i'm saving up for that porsche school. But i go to drag racing school in may. Get to drive a 10 sec. car.
Old 04-09-2001, 02:23 AM
Fight On SC!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJ Silver Type-S:
I went to the Derek Daly driving school at the Vegas Speedway, it was f**king awesome! It was my 21st birthday present. There are a couple of package options, but the one I did was a 2-day road course and we drove modified Z3s. Since this was two years ago already (sheeesh), their program was new and I got 1-on-1 instruction with the head instructor. They are sponsored by BMW and I got to learn a bunch of techniques including skid recovery. They had a 328 with this hydraulic castor system which would lift the car slightly off the ground so you could loose control and practice recovery.

They also have those Formula Ford style mini-indy cars which have a better power-to-weight ratio than the C5 Corvette, but that was a different package. You can also get your SCCA licence through them. Some day I'll go back for the 5 day course. I'd recommend them to anyone!

</font>
did you get to meet the great derek daly himself??
Old 04-09-2001, 04:17 AM
Racer

no I wasn't that lucky, I guess my instructor and him were good friends, but I don't think Derek himself spends too much time at the school, I assume working for Speedvision takes up a lot of his time.

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
AeM cAi
Old 04-09-2001, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Hey Mike,
I have done a two day Skip Barber driving course and a one day Skip Barber car control clinic. Both were at Laguna Seca. I would highly recommend both. Skip Barber has driving schools all over the country. They are expensive, but a great experience.
Kevin
Old 04-09-2001, 11:44 AM
Adult Supervision

How expensive? What was the day like for each class? For a beginner (technically speaking) what would you recommend? And finally, can you loan me $2k?

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 04-09-2001, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Hey MikeS 18,
Skipbarber.com will answer your questions. I will loan you 2k for the schools if you loan me 2k for the Brembo brakes.
Kevin
Old 04-10-2001, 04:31 AM
Instructor

Track Time - 2 day course - Texas World Speedway

Had a great time racing my old '89 SHO
$500
great skills learned (both class and behind the wheel)

------------------
Hollywood is back, and so is...
Miss "Jackie Black" Black on Black 2001 CLS | Tint | airbox gutted | resonator replaced by straightpipe (mistake) | 12" JL Audio sub | PIAA 19170s | spoiler | mobile 1 | 14.6185 at 96.09mph 1/4 mile

work is the curse of the drinking class.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:50 AM
BC
nearsighted visionary

In 1990 I attended the Reg Pridmore's advanced safety school. 120+ full bore miles at PIR. Reg won Daytona and other races in the 70's for BMW Motorcycles. He is still so smooth that he can cut faster laps w/passenger than I could without (same bike). Learned to countersteer, most important riding technique I know of. Push right to go right. As with golf I learned to be humble. Tracks are safer at 120 mph than streets at 50 mph. Hotshoes reading this would do well to have a Pro lead the way for a few laps, then critique your lines after following you. Reg holds his class at various tracks around the country.

------------------
Satin Silver CLS
BMW K75S
Old 04-10-2001, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Hotshoes reading this would do well to have a Pro lead the way for a few laps, then critique your lines after following you. Reg holds his class at various tracks around the country.
</font>
A good instructor or pro driver will always know the best lines for a given course or courses than some newbie. By that same token, the "lines" for a proper setup for a 180 turn would have some idiot running into oncoming cars on the "street." I should know, since I have ended up in the dirt sideways to avoid head-on collisions with idiot kids driving on the wrong side of blind curves on Mulholland with "perfect" lines for a road course.

Of course your are right about the these pro drivers killing most hotshoes with their smooth driving and fast course lines.

How about a level 2 driver's license for drivers who pass a number of "certifications" on:

1. Car handling
2. Accident avoidance.
3. High speed driving.
4. Road Courtesy
5. Defensive driving/creating safety zones in traffic
6. Driving in snow, wet, oil, etc.
7. Final course is in car of choice -- 1st on track, then on street for critique of driving problems/improvement areas.

Name you options. Can I get a 0% loan and exempt plates for the courses now?

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-93W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ordered
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 01:51 PM
Cruisin'

I'm not reading much here about driving your own car at a driving school. If you want to learn in a "much safer than the streets" environment, there's no better place than the track! The schools are not that expensive. All you need is a certified brain bucket. A 2-day instructor led event should set you back about $300. man, there's nothing like driving a real road course.

No excuses!

www.trackschedule.com
Old 04-10-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro

I'm going to M5 Performance Driving School this summer in Spartanburg
Old 04-10-2001, 03:16 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by someguy:
I'm going to M5 Performance Driving School this summer in Spartanburg </font>
bastard
Old 04-10-2001, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by someguy:
I'm going to M5 Performance Driving School this summer in Spartanburg </font>

Now, that would make for a great prize or give-a-way on some auto parts web site.

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-93W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-10-2001, 07:09 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I attended Skip Barber School in Lime Rock CT before they switched to Chrysler products. They used BMW 3 series coupes and sedans (for performance driving). On the last day, they will let you put your car on the short track (1/2 mile, very twisty) and an instructor will ride with you. The only prep is your tires. They blow them up to 40PSI for handling. All I can say is WOW!. At the time, I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT and man did it handle fun but wallowed all over the place. The final day was a LeMans style race with a very hot M3 with sticky tires and good suspension setup. It was a ball. I told my 13 year old son that I was taking him there right after he gets his license! Many grins that week.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 04-10-2001, 07:14 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gto2050:
I attended Skip Barber School in Lime Rock CT before they switched to Chrysler products. They used BMW 3 series coupes and sedans (for performance driving). On the last day, they will let you put your car on the short track (1/2 mile, very twisty) and an instructor will ride with you. The only prep is your tires. They blow them up to 40PSI for handling. All I can say is WOW!. At the time, I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT and man did it handle fun but wallowed all over the place. The final day was a LeMans style race with a very hot M3 with sticky tires and good suspension setup. It was a ball. I told my 13 year old son that I was taking him there right after he gets his license! Many grins that week.

</font>
Lime Rock...well, it rocks! HOw many days was the class and what did it cost? HOw much track time versus class time? Too much? Too little?

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)

[This message has been edited by MikeS 18 (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Who's got the best school near So Cal at the moment?

Similar experience with driving in the "track" cars. Then a finish run with personal car (my tires are already at 39psi).

I'd like to take my wife -- another adrenalin junky (race car lover).

Any first hand experience around Cal or So Cal?

Hmmm.... maybe even Lost Wages NV...

------------------
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-10-2001, 07:33 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Course was 3 days and about $2200. The first half day was spent in the classroom discussing vehicle dynamics etc. The rest of the time was spent on the track. The skidpad was very helpful in learning to control your car. Threshold braking, transitions in turns, etc. Well worth the money.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior