Any one got Tein suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one got Tein suspension?

Hey new here and I was just wondering if anyone has the Tein Super Street Damper? Is Tein really worth it? If it's not worth it what should I get? I have a 01' CL type-S.

Thanks,

Travis
Old 10-24-2003, 12:48 AM
Race Director

www.ohlins.com www.kwsuspensions.com these two both do custom suspensions, and are both VERY high quality stuff.

but i've also read many good things about the Teins throughout the months.

Try doing a search as well on the Teins.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:49 AM
Advanced

SESiSHS,

I've had Tein SS for a little more 3 than months now, and it's great. I also know a few other Cl-s' with the setup and have heard no complaints. The ability to adjust ride height as well as the stiffness of the shocks is great. I think its one of the best setups around. Surely worth it if you want to get dropped.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:50 AM
Advanced

By the way, what are they charging?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:01 AM
Racer

I agree with blackcoupe. I too have had the TEINS on for 3-4 months now and I love them. Great handling with a nice ride. Since this is my year round car it's good that i can raise it back to stock height for the winter. I paid $1065 installed and am greatly satisfied. The spring rate could be a little higher though.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:08 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Teins are okay but after going through three suspension setups on my CLS including two coilover setups, I don't think I'd ever mess with coilovers again.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:19 AM
Pro

Love my TEINs, good compromise between performance and ride comfort...
Old 10-24-2003, 07:21 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally posted by amirsafdari
www.ohlins.com www.kwsuspensions.com these two both do custom suspensions, and are both VERY high quality stuff.

but i've also read many good things about the Teins throughout the months.

Try doing a search as well on the Teins.
KW does good shit
Old 10-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i like my teins.

my car is dropped ~ 3" and it still rides pretty well.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:25 AM
-S namyaC-

Originally posted by JRock
The Teins are okay but after going through three suspension setups on my CLS including two coilover setups, I don't think I'd ever mess with coilovers again.
Why is that JRock?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:54 AM
Drifting

I had Teins for about almost 10 months. The only gripe I had with them was bottom out at my height (almost 3 inchs) because of the softness of the springs. I even brought front upgraded springs to counteract that problem and that worked, although the lowest it would let me go was exactly 3 inchs which wasn't low enough for me. I love the Teins, the ride was very comfortable and all. The damper was a plus also, not many suspensions let you make minute adjustments like that.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:55 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by proaudio22
Why is that JRock?
The roads were really bad where he lives and he was constantly bottoming out...even at a higher height than he was with his previous suspension (NEX coilovers).
Old 10-24-2003, 09:16 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i love my teins
Old 10-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

I got the same problem with bottoming out. Peiqinglong, Whatd you use for the front springs?
Old 10-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by shakademus
I got the same problem with bottoming out. Peiqinglong, Whatd you use for the front springs?
Upgraded Tein springs...2kgf stiffer in the front. So I went from the stock 7kgf to 9kgf.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Revving at 9K...

Had my Tein's for about 14 month now, not a single problem. I've not had to adjust the height yet, but I always play with the damper. Sometime stiff is good.
The following users liked this post:
johndo18 (03-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by CLpower
KW does good shit
yeah, check this out, a Factory tour of KW.. 6 pages

http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/kw/content.shtml

crazzy stuff, after that i decided to go with their Inox Stainless Steel Coilovers

they are making it custom for me, i told them i have 150lbs of audio/video in my trunk, so they are ACTUALLY gonna put 150lbs worth of sandbags in their company A4, and they are gonna tune the rear spring to it, amazing stuff
Old 10-24-2003, 02:15 PM
///M POWER

i want some teins w/ edfc..
Old 10-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Ooops...actually I had my Teins since 8.22.02 and upgraded my springs in 02.18.03.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Racer

Car newb question here, so don't hate. What exactly is bottoming out?
Old 10-25-2003, 04:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,160 Likes on 3,640 Posts
could you put teins on our car w/ CT springs like I have?
Old 10-25-2003, 08:04 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 01 Cl-s
Car newb question here, so don't hate. What exactly is bottoming out?
WHat is referred to here is that the suspension system in any car allows the wheels to travel up and downa given amount .FOr arguments sake we will say that this amount is 6 inches up and 6 inches down from the rest position .Rest position is where the wheel normally sits on the car as you are driving down the road .SO in theory you can drive over a bump 5 inches high and nothing will happen .The suspension will compress and allow the wheel to go over the bump without a problem .Now if you go over a bump that is seven inches high the car has a problem especially at high speeds .The suspension simply cannot compress that much so this is called "bottoming out" .If you drive slowly the suspension can deal with big bumps like this because the suspension will compress but it will also tend to push that part of the car upwards however at higher speeds the suspension dow not have enough time so there comes a big thump sound as the suspension bottoms out .If severe enough you can do substantial damage to your car .Now if you lower a car let's say 2 inches ,now instead of 6 inches of travel you only have 4 so it takes a smaller bump to create the same problem .SO lowering your car is cool will improve handling but the caveat is that you have less suspension travel less road clearance .These two issues combined can make your life miserable .Now this is a very simplified explanation but it serves the purpose here .

Jens
Old 10-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Where's your 6th gear?

I've had mine for a little over a year. Awesome setup. I've adjusted the height so many time that I'm glad I bought coil-overs (driving cross-country with tons of crap in the trunk, so raised the rear to compensate). But that leads to a common point.. spring rate is too soft. They would be perfect with heavier springs.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
could you put teins on our car w/ CT springs like I have?
no, the teins replace the spring and shock. and the springs aren't interchangable.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Where's your 6th gear?

You could probably use Eibach ERS springs. Get the dimensions of the Tein springs (inside/outside diameter, etc) and order heavier ERS springs.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:20 AM
TRELOS

What is the difference between Coilovers and Spring/shock setup (what do u call it?) , interms of performance. I physically know how they are different but can't seem to figure out how they differ on the road.

Also what is TEIN doing to make the EDFC to fit the CLS? Are they going to switch out the stock springs they have for the CLS with the upgraded ones w/o having to pay extra for the springs?

Juker008
Old 10-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,160 Likes on 3,640 Posts
I think I'd rather have the adjustment of the teins than the harshness of the CT springs, I can't take it much longer! My wife hates ridin' in my car (we're both mid-40's, I woud deal w/ it if it were a Porsche but it's not)
Old 10-26-2003, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Coilovers is a term for a suspension that comes with a shock and springs that has a height adjustment ability and in some cases adjustable dampers. Coilovers are great for track use and allows adjustment for various situations. The ride is usally much more superior to spring/shock combo because the shocks were designed in mind for the springs.

Spring/shock combo is much perfered for daily road driving, but unfortunately not a very good system if one has various changes such as rims, tires, and so on. Ride is usually not as smooth as coilovers.

EDFC does not fit the CL. The front motors do not close with the hood. The rear fits fine and can be used independently. As of the moment, Tein is not doing anything with the fitment issue. Tein also does not see a problem with the current springs shipped with the kit.

Chief: the it still depends on how low you intend to go. The lower, the harsher the ride. If you can't stand the harshness of the comptech springs, I would recommend switching back to stock. The comptech springs are the most conservative in terms of ride and performance of them all. Get sways instead.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:28 PM
TRELOS

Aren't coilovers just the same as shocks and springs? They both possess a shock and a spring. Does that mean that the springs in the coilovers are not interchangeable, I mean physically. I do know that the springs are mated specifically with the shocks.

I now know that coilovers allow the adjustment of height, but aren't there chocks out there that also allow the control of height?

Juker008
Old 10-26-2003, 04:36 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by peiqinglong
As of the moment, Tein is not doing anything with the fitment issue.
As I posted on this forum on 9/18/03 ...

"TEIN is now prototyping another set of SS's that will have EDFC for use with the CL. Unfortunately, these new coil's are not/NOT CL specific as they indicated to me before the summer they would be ... they will have Pillowball Uppermounts, but the part numbers are the same for the CL/TL/AccordV6 (which means that there still may be some bottoming out problems due to the addit weight of our CL's over the AccordV6's). fyi"

http://www.tein.com/sspdamp.html
Old 10-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Bagged hybrid

It can be made to work, I've seen it on a CL & Accord.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Juker008: No because coilovers come from one company generally (although in some cases, the company outsources to have one part made but it's made to a specific specification). Springs in a coilover are interchangeable only if the company that made the springs for the coilovers offers spring upgrades. You cannot take another spring from let's say eibach and put it on the teins because it messed with the shock. Teh shock was designed to handle a certain spring rate and if you change it to something softer, it messes the ride up because the shock is taking too much "damage" when you hit something as oppose to evening the "shock" out between teh shock and spring. If the spring is too stiff for the shock, it makes the shock work harder thereby increasing the change of blowing out a shock. To my knowledge, I do not know of any shocks that allow for height adjustment unless you are referring to the Koni Yellows which have "perches". But that's not really height adjustment in it's realliest terms but rather a .5 inch "play". BTW, ground control is not a coilover, but a sleeve.

Y2K3CL-S: Tein mentioned that they were working on an upper pillow mount for our cars and that was like since last December. I highly doubt we'll see the pillow mount or the EDFC fitting for us since the CL is discontinued. Tein seems to be making products quicker for the newer cars, i.e. TSX and 04 TL. But who knows...maybe it might happen, but at the rate it's gonna cost for all this stuff, I rather just get teh Endless Zeal B6 coilovers.

ronnie0738: I would love to see pictures of that. If someone did it, that's pretty interesting because last I saw, the front motors needed and additional 0.5 inchs for the hood to close. And I hope when you say they got it to fit...they didn't merely cut or dent the hood to do it either .
Old 10-27-2003, 07:02 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
does anyone have the Tein Basic coilovers? i've heard of everyone getting the SS and wanting the EDFC, but has anyone juss go the generics?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:20 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by brianlin87
does anyone have the Tein Basic coilovers? i've heard of everyone getting the SS and wanting the EDFC, but has anyone juss go the generics?
They have no adjustable dampers. Other than that...same thing. Same spring rates.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:55 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

i guess the comfort might be better on the Tein Basics then, huh.. adjustable dampers seem only useful if you adjust them fer stiffness and go auto-x... does anyone on this board have the Tein Basics, or do i have to be the first to try them out?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by brianlin87
i guess the comfort might be better on the Tein Basics then, huh.. adjustable dampers seem only useful if you adjust them fer stiffness and go auto-x... does anyone on this board have the Tein Basics, or do i have to be the first to try them out?
At like 8, they ride pretty stock. If it was me, I would get the dampers. It's not a super big price difference and remember, if you have it, you'll use it.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:44 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by peiqinglong
Y2K3CL-S: Tein mentioned that they were working on an upper pillow mount for our cars and that was like since last December. I highly doubt we'll see the pillow mount or the EDFC fitting for us since the CL is discontinued. Tein seems to be making products quicker for the newer cars, i.e. TSX and 04 TL. But who knows...maybe it might happen, but at the rate it's gonna cost for all this stuff, I rather just get teh Endless Zeal B6 coilovers.
Can't (and have no intention to) argue the logic behind your statement. Only point I was trying to make is that when I was trying to get Tein to comment on a rumoured CL-specific application earlier this summer, the only application chart on their web-site was the original one - without pillowmounts. Just happened to take a peak awhile back and saw the new application chart which showed the new set-up "under development". Like I noted, this wasn't even CL specific, since the part nos apply to all 3 (TL/CL/AV6). Haven't bothered to try to talk to them about it ... it's like pulling teeth to get them to respond to an email.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
Can't (and have no intention to) argue the logic behind your statement. Only point I was trying to make is that when I was trying to get Tein to comment on a rumoured CL-specific application earlier this summer, the only application chart on their web-site was the original one - without pillowmounts. Just happened to take a peak awhile back and saw the new application chart which showed the new set-up "under development". Like I noted, this wasn't even CL specific, since the part nos apply to all 3 (TL/CL/AV6). Haven't bothered to try to talk to them about it ... it's like pulling teeth to get them to respond to an email.
Yah I hear ya bro, Tein perfers to deal only with dealers and not consumers directly.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:49 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Sweet as Gold

OK..w/ all these somewhat complaints on the Tein coilovers...would I be better off going w/ the non-ride adjustable Apexi world sport dampener coilovers like XkraziX had???Anyone else have positive feedback on these as opposed to tein???

Quick Reply: Any one got Tein suspension?