Any advice on a tint ticket??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 12:46 PM
do it yourself, !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice on a tint ticket??

Never thought I'd ever run into this. Cops down in NYC really don't seem to care about tints and blubs etc. But the cops by my school have nothing better to do.

I'm leaving campus at 11 am and get a ticket to correct it. Even after showing a mini-badge AND pba this guy still gave me one. He said I can keep the tint on and pay a fine. I don't want to hassle nypd police on stupid tint stuff, but if I have to I will. But in the meantime any suggestions from anyone who ran into this? Should I just pay? Fight it? I'm definitely not getting it taken off.

He even gave me a freak'n court date. What a pain in my ass!! Thanks for any help.

-jeremy
Old 12-05-2001, 02:07 PM
Banned

If you can just pay a fine and keep the tint, that sounds like the best option. How would you fight it? Either the tint it too dark (as measured by some device) or it isn't. Pretty black and white.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:07 PM
Mr. PC

Jab a pencil in your eye and say the sun bothers the wound. Besides that, you're screwed.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:39 PM
do it yourself, !

Originally posted by mdaniel
If you can just pay a fine and keep the tint, that sounds like the best option. How would you fight it? Either the tint it too dark (as measured by some device) or it isn't. Pretty black and white.
NY tint law says 30% visibility and 70% light shine through or whatever. My fronts are 35 and backs are 20. He had the tint meter listed at 36%. But EVERY nypd guy I ask say 35 is totally fine. Maybe I can fight it with their notarized affidavits, but I really don't want to hassle them if there's another way. Oh well...hopefully the fine is small then.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:11 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

Originally posted by mistacanyon
Jab a pencil in your eye and say the sun bothers the wound. Besides that, you're screwed.
I actually did that, and it works, ticket was waved.

and now I got a prescription, for it, no tix for ever :P
Old 12-05-2001, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I ran into this when I lived in CA. I paid the first ticket but then got ticketed again several months later. I took the tint off the driver's and passenger's windows after the second ticket (the fine gets progressively steeper).

One thing to consider is the amount of the fine. If it's over say $75, it may be more cost effective to remove the tint from the front windows, get the ticket taken care of and then just go back to your tint place and get those windows re-tinted. The tint comes off pretty easily if sprayed with soapy water and kept wet for about 15 minutes.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:34 PM
Banned

Just get a friend who is a cop sign it off....any peace officer in New York can do it....
Old 12-05-2001, 03:45 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this really sucks.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:22 PM
Soon to be, fairly famous

moomaster: you assume that everyone (actually the person in question) is friends with any cops. Some of us avoid "law" enforcement like the plague...safer that way.

dee

but the pencil in the eye has merit. I wonder if going to the opthamologist and getting them to sign something indicating a light-sensitivity would work also.

dee
Old 12-05-2001, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Aren't tint tickets just fix it tickets. I got one, and when i brought my car into court, I just turned on the lights in my car, so it was easier to see inside. Everything was fine. Worse comes to worse, they'll just make you take off the tint.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:34 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's some info I found on NY tint law exemptions -

"Medical exemptions are available in New York so long as the following conditions are met:Any person required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun and/or any person operating a motor vehicle belonging to such person or in which such person is an habitual passenger shall be exempt from the provisions of subparagraphs one and two of paragraph (b) of this subdivision provided the commissioner has granted an exemption and notice of such exemption is affixed to the vehicle as directed by the commissioner. The applicant for such exemption must provide a physician's statement with the reason for exemption, the name of the individual with the medically necessary condition operating or transported in the vehicle, the specific condition involved, and the minimum light transmission required. The commissioner shall only authorize exemptions where the medical condition is certified by the physician is contained on a list of medical conditions prepared by the commissioner of health pursuant to subdivision 16 of section 206 of the public health law. If such exemption is granted, the commissioner shall make a record thereof and shall distribute a sufficiently noticeable sticker to the applicant to be attached to any window so shielded or altered pursuant to such exemption."

IIWM, I'd pay the ticket...