Another one bites the dust....CL-S kill....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Speedy3.2CL-S

There are only 1-3 maximas that have run 14.7-14.9 bone stock in 4th gen form. All the rest were 15s. He seems to hav forgotten to mention that. The othes had mods, and they also had stuff done like no tire, no back seats, or interior, no filter, etc. They HAVE run, yes, but very few. Many type-s cars have hit high 14s, you just do a search and you will see.
I did a search....Seems it takes CAI or Headers to break into 14's. Looks like it is rare for a normal CL or Maxima to run 14s stock out of the box.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Maximized

I did a search....Seems it takes CAI or Headers to break into 14's. Looks like it is rare for a normal CL or Maxima to run 14s stock out of the box.
14.9 bare stock...and we are running on 17s.....with crap michelins and a 300lb. weight disadvantage.....
Old 04-02-2002, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by moomaster_99
14.9 bare stock...and we are running on 17s.....with crap michelins and a 300lb. weight disadvantage.....
I am at the same dissadvantage..

Heavy Stock 17"s on Potenza RE92's. I guarentee your Michelins are a much better tire than the RE92's.

What was your 60' times? I ran 15.3s all day on 2.4 60 ft times. This is with 20 less dyno proven hp than a Stock Maxima. I guarentee that my car match 14.9 or better it with a properly functioning VIAS.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Yeah, the reason we picked the 10th was in hopes of not seeing huges lines which I'm sure you're going to see on the weekends. I think there is still going to be a pretty large turnout on the 10th though. I guess I wont get to see that elusive fast Maxima, oh well....maybe someday.

And all this talk of hitting the magical 14's stock makes me glad I have a car that all it takes is having a right foot to do that.

Later,
Old 04-03-2002, 10:36 AM
6 speed...

for what it is worth, I ran a 14.8 bone stock (multiple runs) my first time at the track. I had a full tank, 38psi in the tires, and the spare/jack were in the trunk.

it's hard to say what a "normal" run is for this car, but I have to agree that, based on the times I've seen posted to acura-cl.com, it seems like more guys are running low 15's than high 14's with their stock cl's.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Official BS Sniffer

Originally posted by GTPguy97
Yeah, the reason we picked the 10th was in hopes of not seeing huges lines which I'm sure you're going to see on the weekends. I think there is still going to be a pretty large turnout on the 10th though. I guess I wont get to see that elusive fast Maxima, oh well....maybe someday.

And all this talk of hitting the magical 14's stock makes me glad I have a car that all it takes is having a right foot to do that.

Later,
I'll be there Wed the 10th.....BTW I did hit 14s stock...it's not elusive....
Old 04-03-2002, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Later,
Honestly ,your GTP would get smoked by TypeSKiller's Maxima. I looked at a GTP when I was in the market for my Maxima. The GTP has looks nice, but the interior quality was worse than a Corrola. Thats the reason I didnt buy one, plus no manual tranny is offered. GTPs are real fast through 2nd gear and then die up top. I like the look of the upcoming GTP, but it is in need of a 5 speed Auto.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
guys, the modded GTP will smoke a maxima. SORRY.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:28 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Crazy AcurA
A modded GTP might smoke a Maxima in the 1/4 but after that he's done.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Not TypeSkiller's down a 1/4. I am willing to bet that a CL-S/Maxima will take a pullied GTP from a highway roll.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Official BS Sniffer

we shall see a week from today...

I'll probably have to play "fetch"....but it will be fun....
Old 04-03-2002, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
ill be there the 10th.. what time does it open at?
Old 04-05-2002, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Not TypeSkiller's down a 1/4. I am willing to bet that a CL-S/Maxima will take a pullied GTP from a highway roll.

Cool!! Seeing as you are in the Chicago area, lets find out!! What shall we bet? I dont like to bet cash so lets make it a nice cold 12-pack of the winners choice and a handshake, sound good? Lets go from 65 to 100mph, that's a pretty good 'from a roll' race. We can do it on a Tollway so it will be safer.

You guys can talk shit all you want about being able to take stock GTP's up top, but you dont have a clue when you talk it about modded GTP's. Of course I have a CAI & Borla exhaust also, does that change your mind? You wont find many GTP's running just a pulley, that would be silly to increase your boost without opening up the air passages. Let me know, I'm game.

As for TSK's Maxima, if the best he has ran is a 14 flat then I'm not going to get smoked. I may get beat but it wont be by much. I'm glad you're going to make it TSK!

Gates open at 6pm for whoever was asking.

Later,
Old 04-05-2002, 09:48 AM
almost as fast as a CL-S

STOCK FOR STOCK?

the 97 maxima kills the 97 CL
the 2001 maxima kills the 2001 CL-S
the 2002 maxima kills the 2002 CL-S

now what?
Originally posted by Gabo3k
Stock for stock CL-S whips the Maxima, END OF STORY!
Old 04-05-2002, 09:51 AM
almost as fast as a CL-S

i am not suppose to do this... but.. that 14.0 run? he was on 50 less shot of NOS

Cool!! Seeing as you are in the Chicago area, lets find out!! What shall we bet? I dont like to bet cash so lets make it a nice cold 12-pack of the winners choice and a handshake, sound good? Lets go from 65 to 100mph, that's a pretty good 'from a roll' race. We can do it on a Tollway so it will be safer.

You guys can talk shit all you want about being able to take stock GTP's up top, but you dont have a clue when you talk it about modded GTP's. Of course I have a CAI & Borla exhaust also, does that change your mind? You wont find many GTP's running just a pulley, that would be silly to increase your boost without opening up the air passages. Let me know, I'm game.

As for TSK's Maxima, if the best he has ran is a 14 flat then I'm not going to get smoked. I may get beat but it wont be by much. I'm glad you're going to make it TSK!

Later,
Old 04-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Official BS Sniffer

Later,
I have a buddy with an almost stock 5-speed Maxima that would be willing to run you from a 65 roll for a 12-pack....he lives in Michigan but will be out here next saturday if you want to find out really how fast a VERY lightly modded maxima is from a roll. BTW...just to give you an idea...his 1/4 trap is OVER 96 mph...with only a y-pipe bolt-on modification to his car. I'd run you from a 65 roll...but we already know that wouldn't be fair

BTW- GTPguy....drop me a line a vogz@speakeasy.net so we can figure out who is who at the track on Wed. Not like there will be many black maximas...but just in case.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Instructor

I ran a gtp on the highway in my 2001 5spd Maxima (which are better highway cars than the 4th gne, well I got my assed handed to me pretty quick). From 50-90 1-2 car lengths he got me. He had exhaust to what I could see.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Later,
Beer and a handshake sounds fair. Were you at Byron late last fall ever? There was a ton of GTP's there, one guy was running slicks and ran mid 12s if my memory serves me right.

As for running a pullied GTP, i have never ran one from a roll. But i did race my friend in his 98' GTP coupe with pulley and SLP ram air hood (ram air wasn't functional at the time). From the launch he pulled like 1 1/2 cars on me, but in second gear he couldnt gain any distance. I might have picked up a couple feet on him. That was when I was bone stock. Id love to run you on the highway even if I lose. I like to know how i stack up against other cars. A better speed would be 50/70-108(i think thats ur speed limiter). At 65 your car will probably be in it sweet spot in 2nd??? 2nd gear in or car is roughly 65 mph. So any 5 speed would probably have to start low in 3rd.

Talk to Brian aka TypeSkiller and Ill meet you too. Ill probably watch because my car is making 30 less fwhp than it should be due to a broken intake. In this form I ran 15.3@90 with 2.4 60's on a muggy day at Rt.66. When my car gets fixed I am gonna head back and shoot for mid 14's with a good 60'.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally posted by doug
STOCK FOR STOCK?

the 2001 maxima kills the 2001 CL-S
the 2002 maxima kills the 2002 CL-S

now what?
I don't know about that. I have beaten many pre 2002 Maximas auto and manual. I don't know about the 2002 Maxima because I can never find one that wants to race. But from what I've heard a 2002 auto Maxima and a auto CL-S should be a close race. However the 6spCL-S will murder the 6sp Maxima.:P
Old 04-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Official BS Sniffer

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life

However the 6spCL-S will murder the 6sp Maxima.:P
Riiiight....when I see a 14.2 out of a BONE STOCK CL-S 6-speed...that will mean that a 6-speed CL-S will "keep up" with the maxima...as for murdering it...I don't think so bud.
Old 04-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Official BS Sniffer

Originally posted by Speedy3.2CL-S
I ran a gtp on the highway in my 2001 5spd Maxima (which are better highway cars than the 4th gne, well I got my assed handed to me pretty quick). From 50-90 1-2 car lengths he got me. He had exhaust to what I could see.
OMG....Russ actually LOST a race.....WOW....but it wasn't in his unbeatable Type-S....so that probably explains it.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life

I don't know about that. I have beaten many pre 2002 Maximas auto and manual. I don't know about the 2002 Maxima because I can never find one that wants to race. But from what I've heard a 2002 auto Maxima and a auto CL-S should be a close race. However the 6spCL-S will murder the 6sp Maxima.:P
Um check the HP/WT ratios of both cars and then come back and tell me that the CL-S 6 speed will murder a 6 speed Maxi.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Um check the HP/WT ratios of both cars and then come back and tell me that the CL-S 6 speed will murder a 6 speed Maxi.
Ummm better gearing and a better final drive. I know a CL-S won't murder one I was just kidding... it will be a drivers race.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:28 PM

Both cars are equally fast but it is disapointing to me when a coupe is slower than a sedan.

WHY BUY THE COUPE?

Honestly without mods, it's all on the driver, the cars are too evenly matched.
Old 04-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Beer and a handshake sounds fair. Were you at Byron late last fall ever?

Id love to run you on the highway even if I lose. I like to know how i stack up against other cars. A better speed would be 50/70-108(i think thats ur speed limiter). At 65 your car will probably be in it sweet spot in 2nd??? 2nd gear in or car is roughly 65 mph. So any 5 speed would probably have to start low in 3rd.

Talk to Brian aka TypeSkiller and Ill meet you too. Ill probably watch because my car is making 30 less fwhp than it should be due to a broken intake.

I was at Byron last year but it wasn't in the late fall. I went mid-summer and had no chance to better my time in the heat. I also didn't have my exhaust done yet. Cold temps & exhaust better get me below 14.3 or I'm going to be pissed.

Seeing as you think your car is going to be mid-14's I will assume it's modded. I threw the challenge out there because I thought you were saying that stock Maximas can take pullied GTP's from a roll. Not that I will back out of running you but now I'm just not as sure that I will win. Not as sure as I would be against a stock Maxima. What part of the Chicago area do you live in? I'm in the far NW burbs and I work at Ohare.

Saying you will meet me....do you mean at the strip on Wednesday? That would be cool. You wont be able to miss me.......white GTP, hi-po rims, Borla tips out the back & plate C MY V61.

Later,
Old 04-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

I was at Byron last year but it wasn't in the late fall. I went mid-summer and had no chance to better my time in the heat. I also didn't have my exhaust done yet. Cold temps & exhaust better get me below 14.3 or I'm going to be pissed.

Seeing as you think your car is going to be mid-14's I will assume it's modded. I threw the challenge out there because I thought you were saying that stock Maximas can take pullied GTP's from a roll. Not that I will back out of running you but now I'm just not as sure that I will win. Not as sure as I would be against a stock Maxima. What part of the Chicago area do you live in? I'm in the far NW burbs and I work at Ohare.

Saying you will meet me....do you mean at the strip on Wednesday? That would be cool. You wont be able to miss me.......white GTP, hi-po rims, Borla tips out the back & plate C MY V61.

Later,
I was reffering to the 2k2 Maximas vs Pullied GTPs

I am modded, but just light bolts ons such as Y-pipe and Intake. I also have Eibach Springs to lower the stock 4x4 stance, tints, and clear corners.

I live near I-55 and Rt.83. You familiar with that area? I am about 20 minutes away from Ohare. I am gonna try and make it up the the track with Brian(TypeSkiller) on wednesday.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:56 PM
Instructor

I was reffering to the 2k2 Maximas vs Pullied GTPs

I live near I-55 and Rt.83. You familiar with that area? I am about 20 minutes away from Ohare. I am gonna try and make it up the the track with Brian(TypeSkiller) on wednesday.

Ohhhhhhh, I really have no clue or much experience with the 2002's.......I did run a woman in one, I know hers was an auto, and I beat her by a car or 2 to 60. I've heard they are capable of low-14's but I haven't heard what they are trapping at. I expect to trap better than 96 on Wednesday.

I55 is South right? I know Rt.83 but I dont know I55, is that Downers Grove? Whats up with your car? Nissan service letting you down? I hope to meet up with you Wednesday.....it's all in good fun!

Later,
Old 04-07-2002, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Ohhhhhhh, I really have no clue or much experience with the 2002's.......I did run a woman in one, I know hers was an auto, and I beat her by a car or 2 to 60. I've heard they are capable of low-14's but I haven't heard what they are trapping at. I expect to trap better than 96 on Wednesday.

I55 is South right? I know Rt.83 but I dont know I55, is that Downers Grove? Whats up with your car? Nissan service letting you down? I hope to meet up with you Wednesday.....it's all in good fun!

Later,
2k2 Maximas trap anywhere from 95-99 mph. My cars variable intake isnt working so I have a loss of hp past 5k rpms to redline.

Here is my dyno:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...32542789FSySDU

I should be making my peak hp at 6600 rpms and it should be around 200-205 fwhp. As you can see my peak hp is 171 and that takes place at around 4900 rpms. 4900 rpms is right about where my intake is supposed to switch over to the short runners for high end hp. It is clearly not doing so.

I am gonna try to make it to the track on wednesday. But if not we can meet up sometime.