Airbag Rattle Resolution

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Rattle Resolution

All,

Think I may have resolved the air bag rattle I encountered in my CL-S. Tried a combination of things. Thought I'd offer the most likely solutions up as additional suggestions.

Spent Saturday afternoon applying liberal amounts of Gunk lubricant to the seam around the airbag cover. Just for good measure, I completely sprayed the gaps where the right side of the dash meets the front windshield pillar.

I also spent some time experimenting with placing rubber suction cup mounts at various locations along the front edge of the dashboard where the plastic meets the window. I figured if rubber inserts work for the third brake light rattle, why not the front edge of the dashboard as well?

Turns out that there is very, very little clearance between the right hand portion of the dash and the front windshield. If you run your finger between the glass and the front edge of the dashboard from the center of the windshield to the right, you'll eventually find your finger wedged between plastic and glass. By inserting rubber suction cup mounts between the glass and the dashboard plastic at the tightest point, I believe I have cured the "airbag" rattle that has afflicted my car since I drove it off the lot.

Lengthy test drive over rough roads on Saturday night was rattle free. During my drive to work and back today, no rattles! I'll need to continue testing over various temperature ranges, but for now I'm optimistic that my CL-S is rattle free!

QuickSilver
01 CL-S (Stock)

"If it rattles, we can kill it."