Air Conditioning "Clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:28 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning "Clunk"

Is it normal when you switch on the air conditioning to hear a ridiculously loud clunk/grind?

I cant always remember hearing it but recently ive been driving more and more with the A/C on... When i start up my car and push it within a few seconds it mimics a sound like the clutch/gear is grinding.

It works, it blows cold air. Ive seen the foggy freon stuff coming out of the vents at times (this has happened on all my cars at one time or another, been told numerous times its ok).

Tried searching, but "A/C" is too short a search term and "conditioning" brought me up a bunch of leather threads...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Mine does it. It's REALLY annoying! Only happens after the car sits overnight though. Happened to both 6mt's I've had.

The vent thing that's the AC dehumidifying the air. Normal. It's not freon or anything like that.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ralphie917
Is it normal when you switch on the air conditioning to hear a ridiculously loud clunk/grind?

I cant always remember hearing it but recently ive been driving more and more with the A/C on... When i start up my car and push it within a few seconds it mimics a sound like the clutch/gear is grinding.

It works, it blows cold air. Ive seen the foggy freon stuff coming out of the vents at times (this has happened on all my cars at one time or another, been told numerous times its ok).

Tried searching, but "A/C" is too short a search term and "conditioning" brought me up a bunch of leather threads...
Sounds like your compressor's clutch is slipping upon engagement, causing the clunk and grinding sound. Or (hopefully not) the compressor itself After the A/C is turned on, do you hear a growling or whirling sound from the A/C compresssor?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Racer

no growling or whirling... but yah same thing it does it overnight... If i let the engine warm up for a bit then pop it on the noise is considerably quieter.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I have this issue too. Whenever i turn on my A/C even if the engine is warmed up, its the same extra noise. After I put my Comptech headers in , it makes the vibration from the headers going through the car even more, but i like it because its like the car feels faster (like in an old muscle car where you feel the power going through). so its not a problem for me, but i like it....cold air, and i "feel" like im faster if that makes sense. lol
Old 09-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 518 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL
I have this issue too. Whenever i turn on my A/C even if the engine is warmed up, its the same extra noise. After I put my Comptech headers in , it makes the vibration from the headers going through the car even more, but i like it because its like the car feels faster (like in an old muscle car where you feel the power going through). so its not a problem for me, but i like it....cold air, and i "feel" like im faster if that makes sense. lol
yes, the A/C on significantly reduces 1/4 mile times.
I often run with the parking brakes on too.

jk

I get the awsome clunk as well, I heard it not long after I got the car, it's been doing it for 2 years, so I'm not that worried about it.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PhilB81
yes, the A/C on significantly reduces 1/4 mile times.
I often run with the parking brakes on too.

jk

I get the awsome clunk as well, I heard it not long after I got the car, it's been doing it for 2 years, so I'm not that worried about it.
I get it here on my 00 TL. I have been wondering the same thing. It sounds like the bearings are shot in the compressor, but the a/c works great. It's the same grinding type noise and has a slight squeak to it now.

I've often wondered if it's the idler pulley above the compressor and just makes the noise when put under load after the compressor kicks on.

Mine used to do it only after sitting overnight, but it does it almost all of the time now. It does get quieter after the car is warmed up. When I get my timing belt done in Dec. I'm going to have the guy check it out since he's in there anyway....probably save some money on labor if it needs anything.