Aggressive Drivers Physically React to Road Stress (article)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Aggressive Drivers Physically React to Road Stress (article)

so chill out!!

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Self-proclaimed aggressive drivers are more likely than laid-back drivers to experience a spike in blood pressure and tensed facial muscles while driving, the results of a new study show.

"Folks should realize that tailgating, getting irritated and honking the horn have an impact on their body," study author Loretta S. Malta of the State University of New York at Albany told Reuters Health. "It's a constant source of stress that takes a toll over time."

Malta's team recruited 14 aggressive drivers who admitted to actions such as cutting others off in traffic or tailgating. They also recruited 14 calmer drivers for comparison. Each driver was read a scenario in which they were asked to imagine being involved in a stressful driving situation. The drivers' heart rates, blood pressure and perspiration were measured.

According to the report, published in the June issue of the journal Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, aggressive drivers were more likely to have a significant increase in blood pressure and increased muscle tension in their foreheads than were the calmer drivers.

Malta said investigators may be able to use these measurements to evaluate the success of programs that attempt to reduce aggressive driving behavior.

But the researchers also revealed somewhat puzzling findings--namely that the aggressive drivers were less likely to sweat and more likely to respond with a lowered heart rate. These responses, the authors note, are similar to what people with antisocial disorders display when faced with fear-provoking situations.

"They tended to react with physiological responses associated with hostility and being challenged," Malta said. "But that finding is newer and would require more replications."

She also noted that aggressive drivers can use techniques such as muscle-relaxation exercises to counteract the stress driving causes them.

"You can reverse the body's response by what you do and the way you interpret the situation," she said. "If you try to calm down, your body calms down with you."
Old 06-16-2001, 05:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comment:

Drive to the beach (or wherever) for some good exercise (long walk, bike ride, etc).

Note how you react to traffic idiots -- people who cut you off; people who make right turns in your face to then drive 20 MPH under the limit; left lane hogs; and so on.

Now take the exercise and get some endorphins.

Note how you react on the way home -- I used to do this and noticed that the very same "bull$hit" didn't even phase me. I would just yawn and turn up the music.

Perhaps an hour of exercise BEFORE hitting the road would be a great way to handle the "external" stimulus, in additional to traditional relaxation methods...

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • V1 planned
Old 06-16-2001, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
good points eric!

after exercising maybe we're too tired to care.
Old 06-16-2001, 03:54 PM
Darth Chocolate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
good points eric!

after exercising maybe we're too tired to care.
</font>
Exer-what? I think I've heard of that before, but I'm not quite sure.

That's an interesting study. I'd consider myself a pretty laid back driver, but a few of my friends do seem to get tense when they're driving... Maybe they'll start to prescribe Prozac for road rage...

------------------
Sypher (www.sypher.com)
'01 Black CL Type-S
Valentine-1
Old 06-16-2001, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one of those rare people who actually slow down a bit to allow people to get into the right lane... I had to cut off a bike to get over... he wouldn't let me go. Car vs. bike... My money is on the car, in a collision that is.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.