AEM or Xephyr CAI???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 07:03 AM
Got Boost?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM or Xephyr CAI???

I have read about both these types of intakes, and I cant seem to figure out which one is better...can someone help me? I have seen a hell of a lot more hype about the AEM though. What is the significant difference between COLD air intakes, and typical air intakes??? I was wondering how much these 2 types of intakes run, as in price, as well? I hear about 2 piece and one piece intakes, and cannot figure out which one is better, or what the difference between the two is? I would appreciate some help with my delemna... thanx a lot.

*~Shane~*

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type S with Navi in Satin Silver with Type S ebony leather. Came stock with a spoiler, splash guards, wheel locks, and all around 20% tint.
Coming soon: Comptech springs, headers, exhaust, and filter.
Old 02-24-2001, 02:50 PM
w.t.f., mate?

Xephyr's ships with a hydrolock, so you can quickly convert the intake from CAI to shortram in a matter of minutes. Its good if you live in an area where there's lots of rain(and we've been getting tons of it in SoCal haven't we?)

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 satin silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! ~#10,029!!~ ~Navi!~ ~XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~ ~Quantum tint~ ~Hiper Hibrid Plasma Xenon road lamps AND high-beams~ ~spoiler, baby!!~ ~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~ ~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~ ~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~ ~Getting a red Acura badge shortly.~
Former post count : Over 500!! FREAK!
Old 02-24-2001, 03:03 PM
Drifting

I don't think we will see a big difference in HP, since they both use the same diameter.

spiro
Old 02-24-2001, 10:41 PM
Pro

Pele77,

You can't go wrong with either AEM or Xephyr. Both are CAI and draw air from outside the vehicle compared to the typical "popsicle on a stick" intake which draws air from inside the engine bay. The difference is more evidence on a hot day and launching from a dead stop.

In terms of performance, the advantage of the CAI has to do with both the outside air and the length of the tubing. Due to the inherent longer length of the tubing for the CAI, most of your power will be realized in the middle and upper range...more so in the middle range. This is due to the resonance effect from the length of the tube. With the typical underhood intake, the length of the tube is shorter, thus the resonance occurs at a higher RPM, sometimes beyond the redline of the engine, thus you may get some power in the upper range or not at all if the resonance effect is beyond your engine RPM.

Hope that helps.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs