AEM or Icebox Seattle weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn S
Yes it has happened to at least two or three people here from what I remember.
I can’t remember any accidents, but I know the accelerator got stuck wide open on the highway.
You might be able to find the posts if you do some creative searches going way back.

As for suing, I guess you could but they probably have one of those “off road or track use only” clauses in the paperwork.
AEM supposedly redesigned the bypass in mid 2001 to prevent this, but I heard that they still self destruct every once and a while.

Yeah...AEM had a recall on the first generation of bypass valve...there was a clip that they had people install...and the subsequent generations were fixed. They don't have any issue's with that now <knocking on the obscenely fake wood in the CL>
Old 12-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question though, I have a generic water bypass, I don't think its an AEM genuine one.
Its like a little basket in between with a foam cover. Now isn't the purpose of this so that water may spew out from this valve, or is it when the filter head induces water and is heavier in the vacuum of pull, then the throttle pulls in air from this bypass instead?!
Old 12-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

man, i tried recording my aem cai but the damn rain won't give up and theres too much road noise with rain.
I will try attempt#2

stupid thing is now that i am so addicted to the throaty intake i always wanna rev it to 6000rpm
Old 12-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nismo
Question though, I have a generic water bypass, I don't think its an AEM genuine one.
Its like a little basket in between with a foam cover. Now isn't the purpose of this so that water may spew out from this valve, or is it when the filter head induces water and is heavier in the vacuum of pull, then the throttle pulls in air from this bypass instead?!

You're correct on the second point. The valves don't "spew" out the water, it's just pulls in air from the foam cover temporarily. The water just drains out of the filter via gravity.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by thedream21479
You're correct on the second point. The valves don't "spew" out the water, it's just pulls in air from the foam cover temporarily. The water just drains out of the filter via gravity.

But mine doesn't seem to have a flap that would prevent water from coming up continuously, seeing how as the vacuum suck of the air is so strong.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Racer

If you look inside the valve, there should be some rubber flaps inside of it. If there is nothing, then it can't really work.

The change in the intake pressure forces the rubber flaps to shut and make a water-tight seal...like I said earlier.

If you have any doubts then just pay the 50 bucks for an AEM- (I would never use a non AEM valve personally- AEM's are tested time and time again)
Old 12-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Pres TeamMidnightInvasion

If you are really worried about the water, just try and make the cut to the pipe as low as possible to put in the water bypass.
Actually the opposite is true, you want the bypass valve to be as high as possible on the upper portion of the inlet pipe, so when a pressure drop occurs the bypass is allowed enough time to open. So if the vavle is placed high the bypass will open well before water hits the throttle body.

Cutting th pipe lower so that if water does get in, it'll dispurse lower, less chance of water going right into the throttle.
The bypass opens to allows air in, not to dispurse water. When the bypass valve opens it blocks off the bottom section of the intake with the"flaps", as dream mentioned earlier. As a result, the water that got sucked into the intake will eventually drain out at the bottom of the air filter. It takes a moment for the water to drain back out of the air filter, and thats why your not supposed to keep going WOT when you hit a puddle. Eventually, the water will all drain out of the air filter, pressure will go back to normal, flaps will reopen, and bypass vavle will shut.

Nismo your thoughts seemed very logical, but you just had the wrong facts about a bypass vavle.