AEM Customer Service... a novel by GoldTypeS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001 | 02:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

AEM Customer Service... a novel by GoldTypeS

I had the punctured filter problem like a lot of other people who got one of the "early" AEM CAI units. The following is copied from a word doc I created that details what I went through to get that filter replaced. Sorry for the length, but I think this needs to be said.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Prior to May 6th – Read on acura-cl.com that some members are have a punctured filter on their intake due to a plastic screw that holds a splash guard in place.

Sunday May 6th – Verify hole in filter due to plastic screw that holds splash guard in place.

Monday May 7th – Place call to AEM tech support. Explain problem with how filter was damaged. Advised by an AEM associate named Kirk to adjust intake so that screw clears the filter and that this is “not really AEM’s fault.” As far as the damaged filter goes, I was told my options were to: 1) plug up the hole with some silicon sealant or; 2) pony up $70 for a new filter.

Tuesday May 8th – Confirm with acura-cl.com forum member that AEM sent a new filter free of charge when same problem was posed. In other words, this is a design issue and not an installation issue.

Wednesday May 9th – Call Greg Nakano at AEM on advice of forum member. Left voicemail. No return call received.

Thursday May 10th – Call Greg Nakano at AEM again. Left voicemail. No return call received. Confirm with another forum member who actually went to AEM to have spacers installed on his intake that this is a design issue.

Friday May 11th – Call AEM tech support again due to lack of response from Greg. Speak with Lawson. Re-explain original problem as well as explain who I’ve spoken to thus far and what I was told. Was told that I’ll be sent a new filter and some spacers to raise the intake up a bit so that the filter clears the screw. Lawson estimated he’d be able to ship the spacers and filter by Tues 5/15.

Monday May 21st – Getting ready to go on 800 mile road trip this Friday so I call Lawson back to get approximate shipping date for filter and spacers. Left voicemail. No return call received.

Tuesday May 22nd – Try calling Lawson again – got voicemail. Did not leave message (3 voicemails left, 0 calls returned – why would I leave another one??) Call AEM tech support again and speak with Kirk. Of course, explain the whole story from the beginning… AGAIN!! Was told Lawson was out of the office (ok, so that explains ONE of the unreturned voicemails). Kirk said to “give me a few minutes” to determine where my service request is at in their system. 6 hours later receive call from Steve. Had to re-explain entire problem over again (no, I’m not kidding!). Steve said he’ll call me back after he speaks with Lawson so he can determine what the deal is with my service request. Umm… I thought Lawson was out of the office??? And that’s what Kirk said he was going to do??? And will this take another 6 hours???

Wednesday May 23rd – Call to Steve – got voicemail. No sense in leaving a message that won’t be returned. Call Kirk – he answers!!! There’s a first time for everything! Kirk says my spacers and filter will be shipped either late this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Thursday May 30th – New filter and spacer arrive. Receive follow-up voicemail from Lawson.

Some suggestions for AEM:
1) Have employees give more descriptive voicemail messages so customers know they are out of the office.
2) Assign customer a reference number for a service request and let them know what that number is!! This is probably already done, but I was never given a number so I had to re-explain the problem every time I called.
3) Assign ONE person to work on any given service request so that customers don’t have to talk to several different people and keep re-explaining the problem.
4) Suggest to employees that they actually return voicemails left by customers – this would probably drastically reduce the number of support calls received as I had to keep calling back for information.
</font>
I'll be sending this document to the president of AEM as well. Maybe they'll give me a job doing customer service My company follows the 4 rules I've listed and our CSI rating is consistently in the 90-95% range. Hmmm.... coincidence? I think not!!

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-01-2001 | 12:08 PM
Safety Car

This whole thing was a big PIA for you, but at least you did receive what you needed. The whole story reminds me of a commercial, I think maybe by IBM where a woman calls the service department, and the rep asks her what the problem is and she goes loudly 'THE PROBLEM? I have called you five times and you asking me what THE PROBLEM is?' She then hangs up.

I see you are in the similar boat, but at least you were patient enough to go through this shit with them over and over. I myself likely to go off. Anyway, they need better software for customer relationship management. Its fairly inexpensive, and then situation such as this wont occur.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 06-01-2001 | 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

so do they now ship aem intakes w/ spacers? The reason i didn't purchase a used aem intake from clpower was because he had a hole in the intake.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter.Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers,Springs,Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.Polarg m6

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 06-01-2001 | 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
so do they now ship aem intakes w/ spacers? The reason i didn't purchase a used aem intake from clpower was because he had a hole in the intake.

</font>
AEM told me that the bracket on the intake that secures it to the car was put in the wrong place on the early units. So, I don't think you actually get spacers, but the unit sits high enough without them.
Old 06-01-2001 | 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, at least you finally got your "stuff."

I had to call and call, but must of had a bowl of "Lucky Charms" cereal when I called from Ding Wizards in Torrance. I finally got a hold of Greg, and you know the story -- they let me drive up and they fixed the car on the spot.

Only the "old" AEMs have the misplaced bracket that causes it to rub and bust the filter.

They were supposed to send me some serial number and other info that I could post here to let you guys know if you had an older or newer unit.

The older units get a couple of fat-boy washers put above and below the rubber mount, to raise the level of the air intake.

I don't think I ever got a call returned. I had to be polite, but persistent (as with a ton of folks these days).

If you have an old unit and run out of patience, I can tell you that the width of the spacers is about the thickness of two quarters (perhaps a little less).

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 06-01-2001).]
Old 06-01-2001 | 10:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

I only got one spacer. I'm pretty sure that's all you're supposed to get. You can't put one above the rubber mount.

Anyways, I just spent the last hour trying to install the damn thing and I can't get it on. Now, the screw that has the rubber mount attached to it is stripped and I'm FUCKED!!
Great! Now I get to call AEM another 50 times and maybe next month I'll be able to drive my car again!

This thing is more trouble than it's worth. The stock airbox is going back on tomorrow. Anyone interested in buying a slightly used AEM CAI??
Old 06-01-2001 | 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
I only got one spacer. I'm pretty sure that's all you're supposed to get. You can't put one above the rubber mount.

Anyways, I just spent the last hour trying to install the damn thing and I can't get it on. Now, the screw that has the rubber mount attached to it is stripped and I'm FUCKED!!
Great! Now I get to call AEM another 50 times and maybe next month I'll be able to drive my car again!

This thing is more trouble than it's worth. The stock airbox is going back on tomorrow. Anyone interested in buying a slightly used AEM CAI??
</font>
No, I got 2 of them. One for between the rubber mount and the car frame and the other between the bracket (on the AEM pipe) and the top side of the rubber iso-mount.

BTW -- I noticed that they didn't use a lock washer or Locktite with/on the nut on top. I would have to check the bottom, but it looked like 2 washers (above and below), and that is what one of the guys told me at the time. They said they would send out "WASHERS" as in plural. But, I did say that I never had one of my phone calls returned *and* they were supposed to send me info to post to the board for everyone's use.
Never got it -- promise!

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 06-01-2001).]