Advice on 2003 CL type S with 35,000 miles. All advice welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Kmusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on 2003 CL type S with 35,000 miles. All advice welcomed

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site so I have a few questions to ask. Hopefully I won't take up all of your reading time. well Here I go...... First of all I live in the Northeast. I just bought a 2003 Acura CL-S with 35,000 miles on it. I love the car. I bought the car from a non acura dealer. But I do still have the remaing Basic warrantly along with the tranny extention warranty.(Which is good!!). Prior to buying the car, I use to own a Mistubishi Galant ES four cylinder. Now ever since I had the acura, I noticed that It really burns gas. Keep in mind that I do work in town so I am not driving that far on the highway Should I get the fuel injuection cleaned or just dump some some fuel injection cleaner in it? Or do nothing. Maybe it's just the type of engine that acura made for the car? Concern#2-- I know that I am due to have the transmission fluid changed. I know going to the acura dealer will COST!! Can't I go to the Honda dealer and get the same tranny oil put in it? Actually going to Honda in my area is much cheaper than going to Acura. The dealer where I bought the car from forgot to change the tranny oil. But I bought the tranny oil from Acura, but I do not trust the dealer with putting it in themselves. They may change the tranny oil but they will use theirs. I already had the two recalls done on the car which came back with no problems. Any more suggestions????

Thank you for your help!!!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:39 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
The Acura 3.2L 6 cylinder is a high performance engine, esp compared to a Mitsu 4 cyl. it will use more gas.
As far as tranny fluid, just try to find a service place you trust. Talk to friends and get references. I assume the Honda place will do you well.
Officially, Acura discourages the use of injector cleaners I think. Sounds like your car is gonna be well taken care of.
Congrats on your CL.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Type S-man

Can that suction thing (sorry, i forgot the name of it) people have been using to change their oil be used for a tranny oil change?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Drifting

some members said that it won't work. i'll try it one of these days though and see what exactly happens.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Welcome. If you do a lot of city driving the CL drinks a lot. But it's worth it. Check your air filter to make sure it's clean. That will cause you to waste a lot of fuel. What kinda numbers are you talking? MPG, how many miles per tank?

Nothing wrong with getting the dealer to change the fluid. I don't think it is expensive as you think, plus you just paid a lot for the car, get it done right. Either that, or get a place you really trust. I just rather have Acura deal with it, especially with the tranny problems.

Where in the North east are you from? What color CL is it?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:20 AM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

Originally Posted by kmusic305
Hello everyone,

Prior to buying the car, I use to own a Mistubishi Galant ES four cylinder. Now ever since I had the acura, I noticed that It really burns gas.

Thank you for your help!!!
Looks like we have something in common, i just got a 03 cl-s last month and before I had a shitty 94 mitsubishi galant, no power anything, at least it was a 5-spped manual. Definatly a big upgrade. Its for sale by the way, $500.

Going from a galant to a cl, milage wise, i am spending a lot more on gas too. Not to mention you have to put the premium stuff in the tank. Also, I know it may be hard, but the less you test your 0-60 times at every stop light, the better your milage.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Kmusic

Yea that is true. I should bring it to Acura becuase of the Tranny problems that they have had in the past. But I bought the quarts of tranny oil so that I could have the non-acura dealer that I bought that car from put it in. But I really do not trust them. Like I posted before These people may well change the tranny oil, But it may be their oil. Which is american cars. They may forget due to the shop being busy. I checked my air filter and I have a new one. So I do not know what the problem is. Maybe i just need to get use to the car.