Adjusting perch on Koni Yellows?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting perch on Koni Yellows?

I just got these installed today, and car definitely feels firmer than before, even on the softest setting.

Problem is, I want it lower. I read that you can adjust the perch to make it lower? Can you adjust the perch without removing the shock?
Old 03-07-2002, 03:49 PM
on bin laden

Re: Adjusting perch on Koni Yellows?

Originally posted by superdx
I just got these installed today, and car definitely feels firmer than before, even on the softest setting.

Problem is, I want it lower. I read that you can adjust the perch to make it lower? Can you adjust the perch without removing the shock?
well i'm assuming your back is a little high, like mine. personally i dont mind it, but am planning on experimenting with the lower perch on the rear. only problem is, you gotta take it apart basically.

Rear:

Front:

Old 03-07-2002, 04:49 PM
Racer

Can you use the Konie Yellows on the stock springs? The only reason I'm asking is b/c I want my car lower, but from all the pictures I've seen of our car with comptec springs on stock shocks and stock wheels, I think it looks to low.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:51 PM
on bin laden

you can use the stock springs... that is the only way comptech recommends using the lower perch. but if you just want to be able to adjust the firmness, then ya, just put the konis on with the stock spring. I'm looking to get my rear end a little lower ...
Old 03-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fbazakos
you can use the stock springs... that is the only way comptech recommends using the lower perch. but if you just want to be able to adjust the firmness, then ya, just put the konis on with the stock spring. I'm looking to get my rear end a little lower ...
So you have the Konies and Eibac pro kit right? If I put the Konies on with the stock springs, will I be able to lower it at all or do I need to do the springs to do that? I had my acura dealer give me a quote on buying the springs and installing and they told me like 800, includes the comptec springs, install, alignment and re-alignment of the headlights....what do you think?
Old 03-07-2002, 05:01 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by NoleCLS

So you have the Konies and Eibac pro kit right? If I put the Konies on with the stock springs, will I be able to lower it at all or do I need to do the springs to do that? I had my acura dealer give me a quote on buying the springs and installing and they told me like 800, includes the comptec springs, install, alignment and re-alignment of the headlights....what do you think?

that is a very expensive quote ... i have the koni's and eibach pro-kit. the pictures are of those ... but 800 is nuts. I paid under 200 for my springs, and around 500 for my struts. I installed them myself, so for 700, i got the full setup done, installed. People argue about the install price, it depends on where you live. In MN, they wanted 200 to do the install at the dealer, speedshops wanted the same. It's a ton of work, keep in mind the alignment should be about 50, and headlight re-aligning should be FREE, there are FAQ here how to do it, takes 5 seconds to do. Also note, that the koni's on the upper perch with stock springs may actually raise your rear end up. The reason i say this is because ppl with eibach pro kit on stock struts have their back end waaaaay low. it's too low IMO. the wheels almost tuck under the fender. good luck ...
Old 03-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Nex
Intermediate

Do you really have to realign your headlights? I figure that the 1" drop or so on the Comptechs isn't going to throw the beam alignment out too much, or am I wrong?
Old 03-07-2002, 05:33 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by Nex
Do you really have to realign your headlights? I figure that the 1" drop or so on the Comptechs isn't going to throw the beam alignment out too much, or am I wrong?
from the comptech springs / stock strut cars that i've seen, the drop is almost identical to mine. the rake (meaning front end lower than backed) causes your beams to point down. it was noticeable on mine, and i realigned mine up ... in fact i went up a little more than stock, just to light things up better for me ...
Old 03-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Nex
Intermediate

So can you just bring it to your dealer for the beam realignment?
Old 03-07-2002, 06:35 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by Nex
So can you just bring it to your dealer for the beam realignment?
you can bring it to any place you want ... i personally would bring it to a buddy's shop ... get the best deal you can ...
Old 03-07-2002, 07:19 PM
Advanced

I just read that you aren't supposed to use the perch to adjust the height if you are using aftermarket springs. I currently have H&R Sports, is that really a problem?

Over on a Prelude forum, my friend is telling that everyone with Koni Yellows uses perch to adjust their height.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:39 PM
on bin laden

I just read that you aren't supposed to use the perch to adjust the height if you are using aftermarket springs. I currently have H&R Sports, is that really a problem?

Over on a Prelude forum, my friend is telling that everyone with Koni Yellows uses perch to adjust their height.
i can't answer if it is a problem, they dont recommend it, but how many times to ppl listen to manufacturer recommendations ... only thing holding me back is time to do it ... but ya it'll adjust the heigh alright
Old 03-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

well..

well I am almost certain that doing that will void the warranty on the Koni's.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: well..

Originally posted by JSuppi

well I am almost certain that doing that will void the warranty on the Koni's.
This was some time ago but......when I had Koni yellow's with ST sportlines on my 96 accord, I had the perch set to the last notch. There were three settings and now that I think about it, I believe that those shocks adjusted more than 15mm. Anyways, when I blew my rear right shock, Koni replaced it no questions asked. But this was in 97 and maybe the shock and Koni's policies have changed.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Advanced

I hear what you guys are saying, but look at what my car looks like now, I can't bear to raise it back up!

Old 03-08-2002, 01:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

looks good! drive carefully, you don't want to crack your tranny (like I did) or rip you oil pan.......

follow up on what I was saying, I can't believe Koni would design performance shocks that weren't meant to be used with performance springs......but there are stranger things