Acura Genuine Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Acura Genuine Oil Filters

Are they the best filters?? I doubt, we had this discussion before and most of the people said that Honda fileters sucks.
Is there a different filter for Acura?? Is this the filter I am getting from Acura dealer during my oil changes?
I went ahead and bought PureOne Purolator, I thought it was supposed to be better than whatever dealer installs during oil changes, but now I read this:

Here is what I read from www.acura.com:

ACURA GENUINE OIL FILTERS
Few things are more important to the overall performance of your Acura than the oil that goes in it and the filter that keeps it clean. Unlike many other oil filters, Acura Genuine Oil Filters are specifically designed for your Acura for maximum protection and improved engine life.

Superior materials and advanced technology result in the ultimate oil filter for your Acura designed to provide optimum performance and reliability. For example, take apart an Acura Genuine Oil Filter and you'll find 60%* more paper than the leading competitive oil filters. And since the filter paper is responsible for trapping contaminants and keeping your oil clean, the more filter surface area you have the better.

To best protect your investment and ensure a long engine life, always use an Acura Genuine Oil Filter.

*Based on surface area.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, I buy only the PureOne filter and I am happy with it.
Threre 2 Aucra/Honda Filters one for Japan (The good stuff) and one for US... low cost and is okay at best... Both are not micron filters.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
First, I buy only the PureOne filter and I am happy with it.
Threre 2 Aucra/Honda Filters one for Japan (The good stuff) and one for US... low cost and is okay at best... Both are not micron filters.
Yeah, after all the research I determined that PureOne Puralator is one of the best filters on the market...
I just think Acura tries to make you buy their shit more so they can make more money....

But honestly, it looks like a hell of a good description... it says they have 60% more filtering material than other filters and etc....
Don't know whom to belive.... Maybe there are different filter brands, Acura and Honda, and the one made for Acura is much better than the one for Honda??
Old 09-20-2002, 06:40 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

where can you get pure one?
Old 09-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

pepboys.. and advance suto parts have them for $5/each
Old 09-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Where is my super sauce?

For your perusal:
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterst...an.html#l20252
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters.html
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/
I think there's a BMW oil filter site somewhere out there as well.

These 'studies' are mearly tear aparts and comparisons of many of the available filters. I'd like to see some real world testing before 'true' conclusions are made.

From reading these forums and other Honda/Acura sites I've come to the conclusion that Mobil 1 and Purolator PureOne are good filters. The Honda OEM filter (made in USA model) that we buy at the dealer is probably adequate, but possibly not the best.

What am I using? The Honda OEM filter with Castrol GTX 5W20 motor oil. I may change to Mobil 1 motor oil after 10K miles and I'll upgrade my filter then. If I stay with dino oil I'll stay with Honda filters and drain at every 3750 miles. That's what American Honda recommends - good enough for me.

The debate over oil filters is on the same level as the perpetual dino vs. synthetic oil debate. Lots of poorly collected data and lots of personal testimony; little real world comparisons or 'scientific' conclusions. It's like discussing religion or politics: there will never be a correct answer.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've never seen any discussion over k&n oil filters. are they any good? i just put one in, but how the hell am i supposed to see if it performs well?
Old 09-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Pro

Re: Acura Genuine Oil Filters

Originally posted by russianDude
Are they the best filters?? I doubt, we had this discussion before and most of the people said that Honda fileters sucks.
Is there a different filter for Acura?? Is this the filter I am getting from Acura dealer during my oil changes?
I went ahead and bought PureOne Purolator, I thought it was supposed to be better than whatever dealer installs during oil changes, but now I read this:

Here is what I read from www.acura.com:

ACURA GENUINE OIL FILTERS
Few things are more important to the overall performance of your Acura than the oil that goes in it and the filter that keeps it clean. Unlike many other oil filters, Acura Genuine Oil Filters are specifically designed for your Acura for maximum protection and improved engine life.

Superior materials and advanced technology result in the ultimate oil filter for your Acura designed to provide optimum performance and reliability. For example, take apart an Acura Genuine Oil Filter and you'll find 60%* more paper than the leading competitive oil filters. And since the filter paper is responsible for trapping contaminants and keeping your oil clean, the more filter surface area you have the better.

To best protect your investment and ensure a long engine life, always use an Acura Genuine Oil Filter.

*Based on surface area.
My dealership pushes the Acura oil filters (go figure!). They have a cut-away of an Acura one and a Fram. The Acura one is a paper filter, with a metal top and bottom (just like the cartridge filters that they used to use in the old days). It's inside the metal can.

The Fram just had the filter inside the metal can. The benefit is supposed to be a sealed cartridge for guaranteed filtration, as well as better paper media.

Of course, it's one of those things that if the car is on warranty, you might want to consider using the Acura filter (just in case). Shouldn't matter (since all filters are supposed to be approved, right?), but you never know. :P
Old 09-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

The only problem of NOT using Honda filter's, is that they have this big warrning "ACURA highly recommends using only premium Acura oil filter"
So basicly if you have any problems with your engine, they will be like "ops, told ya... your filter messed up everything"
Old 09-20-2002, 11:42 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

russiandude, I think it would be streaching the bounds to say a faulty oil filter messed your engine up.
I use a Fram X2 filters and Mobil 1 Synthetic. I don't like the honda filters as I prefer to get an aftermarket filter thats twice the size of the genuine honda filter! more filter = more filtered oil.
I see nothing wrong with having more oil filtered. Supposidly the X2 can go 7000 miles without oil change... Hell No! I change it between 3500 and 4000 K miles.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:57 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i use Mobil 1 filters.

just started using the oversized Mobil1 M105. its easily twice the size of the stock filter.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:11 AM
Grls lov shiftn my stick

Originally posted by DRM600
i've never seen any discussion over k&n oil filters. are they any good? i just put one in, but how the hell am i supposed to see if it performs well?
I use K&N oil filters and there was an article in Compact Car that said the filters are highly recommended. They said the filtration of the oil was one of the best that they have seen. This is why they say changing the K&N filter can be done in longer intervals. I still change mine every 2500. Just my .02....
Old 09-21-2002, 12:12 AM
Instructor

As long as you change your oil every 3,500 miles combine w/ synthetic oil then you should be OK.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:42 AM
Registered Member

Well, i stopped by my local honda dealer to pick up the "trunk spring" tool and i saw there oil filters. They had a OEM and a FRAM *double protection* oil filter, they cut a quarter of the filter off so you can see the insides...and the OEM do have MORE surface area. The paper filter in the fram filter just goes back and forth, while the OEM one also goes back in forth but it has more than one column of zigzags.

I always thought that OEM were just overpriced so i just bought aftermarket ones because they say "meet or excessed" OE specifications. But after looking at the those two filters, i might change back to OEM if i have the extra $$$.

Fram
\-------------------\
/-------------------/
\-------------------\
/-------------------/

OEM
\-----\ \-----\ \-----\
/-----/ /-----/ /-----/
\-----\ \-----\ \-----\
/-----/ /-----/ /-----/
Old 09-21-2002, 08:34 AM
Pro

By eyeballing both, the Fram AIR filter for the premium CL does not seem as substantial as the Acura filter and the Fram is not oiled. I surmise that if the Acura air filter is better Fram's than the oil filter is too.