Acura executives..my letter to them..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:17 PM
5abi dee CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura executives..my letter to them..

Guys,do u think this'll get me anywhere..Anything I should add..
Kalim Ansari
Executive Vice President
Honda Canada Inc.
715 Milner Avenue
Scarborough, Ontario

May 4, 2004

Dear Mr.Ansari,

I’m writing this letter to express my concerns and a lengthy ordeal I had to go through to get my newly acquired 2001 CL type S serviced. I do want to mention here that I had always trusted the Acura brand and held it in high esteem and that my first car was a 1991 Acura Integra GS is an indication of it.

After much research and looking around I finally purchased a 2001 CL type S from Erin Mills Acura on Aug.21.2003. It was a big purchase for me as we had just purchased a house and also started a family. As with any major purchase I was proud and joyous. My purchase experience was fairly smooth except some minor issues I had with the dealership which are still pending. I found out that the car had a Transmission replaced at around 52,000 kms and that came to me as a shock as I had never expected a major repair at that low mileage. I had no choice but to accept the fact and carry on.

Few weeks ago, my wife was driving on HWY and all of a sudden she heard some noise from the Engine bay, so she stopped the car and we had to get the car towed to the dealership. The service advisor at the dealership (Rob) informed me next day that they will have to replace the belt tensioner and it should be ready in few days. I got another call a day after and he told me that they’ll have to keep the car for a “longer duration”. I asked whether its something major and he confirmed the possibility. I received another shock when I was informed that my pistons were “scored” and some components would have to be replaced and it would take few weeks. My car had 69,000 kms on it and I just could not understand how this may have happened. My car had an oil change done at the same dealership 2 months ago and I do take care of it well. I did not want a mixture of old and new components in my engine and requested that my whole engine be replaced which I think was only fair!!The whole repair took almost 2 weeks and I finally got my car back and it has not felt the same since. Maybe it’s just psychological but the fact that I’ve had 2 major repairs done under 70,000 kms bothers me .The car does stall at times and I’m hoping that this will go away with time but I’m truly concerned and worried about this whole episode.

I realize that I may simply be one customer but I believe that the strength of a company depends on its relationships with all their customers regardless of who they are. I trust that you feel the same way as well. At this time I am convinced I have made the wrong decision to choose Acura brand simply due to level of service and commitment I have received.

Mr. Ansari, I would appreciate your address on this matter...

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Sincerely,
Vivek Kajal
416-824-5853
bobbyk@internet.look.ca

Vehicle-2001 CL type S
Old 05-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Poppin them thangs

I think you should be an a-hole, thats the only way you might get something done...if anything at all...they must get these letters all the time....
Old 05-04-2004, 09:42 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Good luck, sounds very frustrating.
All I would add is this. Make it very,very clear what you want done. If it is the all new engine parts etc, then really emphasize that.
The complaining and concerns about the company could be toned down, cause what you really want is for the engine repair done right.
I would try to keep comments in a positive light, but still mention your frustration and your good faith & trust you put in the company.
Does that make sense? If all you really want is the certain engine work then be very specific on that, so there is no doubt what you want and expect!
If you just want to vent (I don't blame you) all you will get is just a 'so sorry' letter back).
If what you really want is to return the car completely, state that!
Also you can go thru regional channels too, ask the dealer, they have to tell you. I think it's in the manual too.
Just decide what outcome you really want and ask exactly for that. That is my advice, good luck to you.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:44 PM
5abi dee CL-S

Originally posted by G-UNIT
I think you should be an a-hole, thats the only way you might get something done...if anything at all...they must get these letters all the time....
How so? Besides I'm sure it'll be one of his PA's sending a response(if I get one).
Old 05-04-2004, 09:45 PM
5abi dee CL-S

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
Good luck, sounds very frustrating.
All I would add is this. Make it very,very clear what you want done. If it is the all new engine parts etc, then really emphasize that.
The complaining and concerns about the company could be toned down, cause what you really want is for the engine repair done right.
I would try to keep comments in a positive light, but still mention your frustration and your good faith & trust you put in the company.
Does that make sense? If all you really want is the certain engine work then be very specific on that, so there is no doubt what you want and expect!
If you just want to vent (I don't blame you) all you will get is just a 'so sorry' letter back).
If what you really want is to return the car completely, state that!
Also you can go thru regional channels too, ask the dealer, they have to tell you. I think it's in the manual too.
Just decide what outcome you really want and ask exactly for that. That is my advice, good luck to you.
Thanks ..makes sense..
Old 05-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Poppin them thangs

i work in a tech helpdesk, we dont fwd any "nice" users to our vp's...only ppl who bitch alot, that wakes the vp's/directors up...trust me...
Old 05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
5abi dee CL-S

this is what I added..Anything else I should ask for..

In light of this episode, it would make a huge difference to me if:

-I be granted full original warranty on the engine and not the balance.
-Erin Mills dealership to be advised to sort out the pending issues since time of purchase.
Mr. Ansari, I would appreciate your address on this matter...
Old 05-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Not trying to be rude here, but the tech in your previous forum post said that there was no oil in the engine bay which lead to the pistons being shot... Just wondering if that really was the case cuz if it was, don't really know what they will do.

Originally posted by magtech
In regards to your disappointment of the work done to your car, first realize the reason your vehicle made the"clunk,clunk" sound was that you had no oil in your engine. At highway speeds when vtec wants to kick in, oil is needed for it to perform, if insufficent oil is in the crankcase, vtec won't work and the vehicle may not perform. The reason you had no or little oil in your vehicle was that the rear main seal was leaking. Over the period of time between oil changes, if it wasn't noticed, low oil will cause engine failure.
If you believe that your vehicle is not performing up to factory standards return to the repair facility to have your concerns looked after.

Your T-belt tensioner was not part of the recall. It was noticed during engine replacement that the part was leaking and that it should be replaced.
link: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ghlight=daanan
Old 05-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
With all the transmissions that have died and Honda/Acura doing NOTHING about them, I really don't think they will care one way or the other about your problem. I hope I am wrong, but a good bottle of red wind says I am not.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Suzuka Master

From not following your previous posts and just reading the above letter..

my .02, I would laugh that you would want a completely new motor and trans and throw the letter away..

Just my .02 from reading THIS POST ONLY, not your previous ones.

So make sure you incorportate all the specific information and exactly what transpired from the oil change... other than that, I followed it pretty well... good luck, I hope it all works out.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:57 AM
5abi dee CL-S

Originally posted by babyblue
Not trying to be rude here, but the tech in your previous forum post said that there was no oil in the engine bay which lead to the pistons being shot... Just wondering if that really was the case cuz if it was, don't really know what they will do.

link: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ghlight=daanan
Oilchange was done 2 months ago @ same dealership.So no question of my negligence.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
That letter will not do anything. I'd bet the guy doesn't even open his mail. He has PA's do it, & they only give him the important stuff. That's how alot of corprate places work.
Also, the letter needs to be complete. Need specifcs of eveything. Even the minor things being worked on. Include work orders, notes, etc. Then don't waste your time writing this guy. Take it all & set up a metting with the ACURA regional rep. The # is in the manaul, or as stated the dealer has to give you the #.

On a side note. It's the policy of every dealership to repair things first rather then replace if under warranty. This is true of any car maker, Ford, GMC, Toyota etc. So don't expect a new engine.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 632 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally posted by daanan
Oilchange was done 2 months ago @ same dealership.So no question of my negligence.
having an oil change two months previously, certainly doesn't rule out that you were negligent in checking and maintaining the correct oil level.

sounds to me, like you and your wife are typical consumers, who buy, and drive, and take it in for service at regular intervals. the problem with this, is cars need constant attention to detail, otherwise things break....seems like you let the oil level get low, and that is the reason your engine failed. To have gotten any work done under warranty amazes me.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro

Too much irrelevant detail, several grammatical errors and in the end, YOU DONT ASK FOR ANYTHING. You need to decide what you expect this EVP to do for you and ask for it. Do you want a full refund on the car? How about equal credit of your purchase price on another certified Acura vehicle? You wont get anything if you dont ask for something. It has to be logically fair, not emotional.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Back to Four Doors

Originally posted by dgracer
Too much irrelevant detail, several grammatical errors and in the end, YOU DONT ASK FOR ANYTHING. You need to decide what you expect this EVP to do for you and ask for it. Do you want a full refund on the car? How about equal credit of your purchase price on another certified Acura vehicle? You wont get anything if you dont ask for something. It has to be logically fair, not emotional.
Dgracer is right on the mark here. You have to state your case and ASK for something. It puts the recepient in a position to act one way or another. The suggestions above are great. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Instructor

i'm not sure if your letter to acura will help or not.

in the states we have state attorneys general who can help. i had a problem w/ my last daimler/chrysler serviced by a local dealership which resulted in problems for me. i whined to the service writer and the service manager and got nowhere fast. i then entered a formal complaint with the state attorney general. his office registered a misdomeanor complaint with the dealer's owner's attorney. the owner's attorney made it clear to the service manager that he would solve the problem to the state attorney general's satisfaction.

my problem wasn't as severe as yours but it showed me that my voice was worthless. the state attorney generals voice was not. if you have anything comparable to an attorney general in your province i would start with them. if they register a complaint with the dealer's owner you are much more likely to get any sort of resolution. in the states the dealer's owner MUST respond to the attorney general's complaint within a specified time period or legal penalties result. they can be as severe as revoking the owner's business license. THAT get results. fast.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:31 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
FYI, they aren't gonna do SHIT for you
Old 05-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Originally posted by Astroboy
having an oil change two months previously, certainly doesn't rule out that you were negligent in checking and maintaining the correct oil level.

sounds to me, like you and your wife are typical consumers, who buy, and drive, and take it in for service at regular intervals. the problem with this, is cars need constant attention to detail, otherwise things break....seems like you let the oil level get low, and that is the reason your engine failed. To have gotten any work done under warranty amazes me.
I agree with you there completely. Bro you got a new engine under warranty, which in fact was an excellent service in that regard which didn't cost you a dime. The letter will not do anything in my view either. Just my
Old 06-04-2004, 07:49 PM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone know the address for north american headquarters or would that one be sufficient??
Old 06-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by G-UNIT
i work in a tech helpdesk, we dont fwd any "nice" users to our vp's...only ppl who bitch alot, that wakes the vp's/directors up...trust me...
Dude, I sent you a PM. Change your avatar, please.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

There are some contractions, grammar errors and other things in the letter which dont go well. But I doubt u'll get much, if anything from the letter, cos ur only defense is weak.

Anyway, whatever u do ....

Originally Posted by G-UNIT

^ DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAID ^

Doing what HE mentioned will get ur letter no where except to the nearest trash can.