Acura Customer Service told me to piss off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:58 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura Customer Service told me to piss off...

I got a return call today about my e-brake having to be tightened twice now. Plus the dealer wanted to charge me to tighten it. It had to be tightened at 12K miles and now at 22K miles. I never drive with the brake on however the nice lady who called told me that I did and that's why they won't pay to tighten it. They said it's a wear issue and that I have to pay the $25 to adjust it at the dealer. I don't get it b/c I've never driven with the e-brake on. I don't know why mine keeps loosening. Have any of you guys had this problem with your E-brake?

P.S.: when I say loosened that just means I have to pull it up really high for it to lock all the way.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Masshole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get so pissed when I hear about people getting jerked around by their dealer. Go to a different dealer....that's totally unacceptable and I would raise holy hell if I was treated like that by anyone at any dealer. I would have immediately asked to talk to that bitch's supervisor at Acura Customer Service and gone up the chain until I got results.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Certified Lurker

Ive had to have mine tightned at about 10 k i think, and its starting to get loose again. My dealer tightned it under warrenty and i would accept nothing else.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:06 PM
///M POWER

its common w/ all 6 speeds, they should do it under warranty though
Old 09-23-2003, 01:09 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

well this isn't even the dealer. this is actually Acura Customer Care or Client care or whatever. The bitch told me that there was no one else I could talk to about it and they had already gotten a message from the top to stop allowing this repair under warranty.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:10 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

If it's common amongst all 6 speeds could someone give me a vote or something? I: think I'mma start a survey.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by civic4982
well this isn't even the dealer. this is actually Acura Customer Care or Client care or whatever. The bitch told me that there was no one else I could talk to about it and they had already gotten a message from the top to stop allowing this repair under warranty.
She's full of shit. Call again and DEMAND satisfaction.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Six Speeds

If it's common amongst all 6 speeds could someone give me a vote or something? I: think I'mma start a survey.
I had to have it adjusted at my first service (3750). Now I'm going for my 7500 and it's loose enough to need another tightening.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah! If you dealer wants to charge over something like this, change dealership. Don't forget to write the Manager of the dealership telling them that you will never go back to them...
Old 09-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

whoah that bull... take it to DMD Plano man.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:52 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Dang, I thought that was only me. It seems like my hand brake gets loose over time. I've only got 7800 miles and it almost feels like it won't hold when I use it.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:35 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 6 speed e-brake is notorious for this .Virtually all of them require servicing at regular intervals .But something to note here is that most regular maintenance I.E. include servicing the brake system .It is commonly called "adjusting the brakes" .Most dealers make it part of their 15 k 30 k 45 k services .SO really it should be taken care of as a regular part of servicing the car that you pay for when you bring the car in.
E-brake wear just like regular brakes are not covered under warranty .Some people can drive 50 60 thousand miles and never need brakes because they cover mostly highway mileage but then again I know some of our customers chew up brakes with astonishing speed because they are city dwellers and have pretty hard driving styles .
So read those service menus the dealers handout and see if you did not already pay for the work to be done and the dealer dropped the ball .
Jens
Old 09-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Beware of leakage

That sux Civic, good luck with trying to convince customer service or the dealer to do it.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Ask to speak to the service manager. Tell him your never gonna bring the car there again if they dont get it right this time. Then ask to speak to Jack Taylor (GM) complain your ass off then ask for the acura reps name and phone number. hat should light a fire under their asses . The new acura store on the motor mile will be open next month.. Come and check us out when you get a chance.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Still trolling

Man, just come by the house, i'll tighten it for you. Takes 5 minutes.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Pro

I would think that if riding around with the ebrake on that much to cause it to not 'grab' until the handle is all the way up should show extreme wear on the brake pads themselves. I've not heard anything as to this being the case. I suspect the same engineers who designed the sunroof, leather seats, paint, auto-tranny must have designed the E-Brake cable .. I bet it is stretching and Acura is just taking their typical denial stance to keep from admitting they have yet another quality problem ..
Old 09-23-2003, 07:54 PM
One who Laps

If I have these issues with the dealer, I go right to corporate and complain and always get taken care of.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

My dealer replaced the entire parking brake assembly, no fuss at all. Valencia Acura

oh wait, the handle you mean :o
Old 09-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Ok, guys stop bad mouthing your dealer. This is how it goes, if you go to the dealer and start bad mouthing your car and demand free brakes and clutch work. We will smiles and tell you sorry, brakes and clutch are consider wear issue not cover under warranty. Yes you can raise hell and want to talk to the service manager or whoever is in charged. But more then likely you are going to pay for the work. Yes if you called Honda headquarter, you will probably get your money back (we will live with that because you have just spend hours trying to get your 25 dollars back). On the other hand if you walked into your dealer, meet your writer with a smile. Then say can you guys please adjust my parking brakes? It is a little loose. 99 percent of the time you will get it under warranty. The 1 percent, who says sorry you will have to pay, is a dealer located in the middle of nowhere or dealers that is isolated. Then you will have to go with plan B. Ha Ha Ha
Old 09-24-2003, 04:11 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by sgmotoring
Ok, guys stop bad mouthing your dealer. This is how it goes, if you go to the dealer and start bad mouthing your car and demand free brakes and clutch work. We will smiles and tell you sorry, brakes and clutch are consider wear issue not cover under warranty. Yes you can raise hell and want to talk to the service manager or whoever is in charged. But more then likely you are going to pay for the work. Yes if you called Honda headquarter, you will probably get your money back (we will live with that because you have just spend hours trying to get your 25 dollars back). On the other hand if you walked into your dealer, meet your writer with a smile. Then say can you guys please adjust my parking brakes? It is a little loose. 99 percent of the time you will get it under warranty. The 1 percent, who says sorry you will have to pay, is a dealer located in the middle of nowhere or dealers that is isolated. Then you will have to go with plan B. Ha Ha Ha
Thanks for all the insight ...
Old 09-24-2003, 04:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Don't knowman, as stated before My dealers do not do any warranty work on a moded car, yet they adjusted the paking break for me without hassle.

Don't want to hijack the thread but they wouldn't cover the burnt out bulb in my cruise control switch. I was at 2 dealers by me yesterday tring to get this fixed. They wanted my to pay $25. I said thank you, spent the $2.00 & ordered the bulb, I'll replace it myself, it's very easy to do.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Advanced

how come you guys go to the dealer to tigthen the ebrake?? correct me if i am wrong, but don't u just tighten a nut?
Old 09-24-2003, 05:53 PM
yeah,yeah,uh,huh,wh,what

Hey Civic,
If the lady's name was Karen (I believe) she does work for DMD. She is real cool and fed up too with the things that the service department does wrong. I talked to her bout two weeks ago. A 5 minute, routine customer service call turned into a 15 minute, honest conversation. She is very customer oriented and is DMDs saving grace IMO. I'll still be going to Sterling McCall when it opens.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

My brake has loosened as well. It is very easy to tighten to the recommended service level. Open the center console armrest, remove the felt at the bottom, pry open the plastic cover, tighten the bolt that is exposed until the brake handle will click between six and ten clicks when pulled. The bolt, I believe is 14mm and is towards the front of the vehicle, under the cupholder.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

mine was loose from the begining. first service, they tightened it for free.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Instructor

thx for the info of how to tighten it ourselves, rather than just bitching about a dealer or their incompetance...
Old 09-24-2003, 09:41 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally posted by CL P Diddy
Hey Civic,
If the lady's name was Karen (I believe) she does work for DMD. She is real cool and fed up too with the things that the service department does wrong. I talked to her bout two weeks ago. A 5 minute, routine customer service call turned into a 15 minute, honest conversation. She is very customer oriented and is DMDs saving grace IMO. I'll still be going to Sterling McCall when it opens.
yeah, she gave me a call too and the conversation turned to quite a bit longer than 5 minutes. nice lady.

the lady from acura customer service was different. she just told me that the brake was my problem.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
fuZzBaLL143 & DPOLICH

While on the 6 speed that's correct, but just adjusting that nut will not work if the problem is in the rear parking brakes. They "adjusted" mine, & others this that way & I think that's why they keep coming loose. There's a procedure that's more involved Jens posted that fixes it. The rear wheels come off, & the brake gets adjusted from there.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Parking brakes on CL-S are applied using a drum brake design in the rear. In my opinion if your dealer removed both your rear tires and adjust the E-brakes the right way $25 is a fair price. But if they just turn the cable adjusting nut on your E-Brake and charged you for it, then that will be wrong. I would also like to let you guys know, the factory trained mechanic that is performing the work only get about $4 to $6 for every $25 the dealer charge. How would you people like to do that job for $4???
Old 09-25-2003, 09:34 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

they didn't fix it from the rear... they just adjust it from the center console...

what hte mechanic gets paid has nothing to do with this. this is actually acura customer care giving me the run around as well as the dealer. I asked them nicely... Even if the dealer removed both my rear tires and adjusted the brakes the right way they should do it udner warranty b/c soemthing is not right about this e-brake being so loose so often.

the bottom line is something is not right and instead of trying to figure it out and repairing the problem under warranty, I'm getting the cold shoulder.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Maybe you should asked your dealer to adjust the drum brakes and not the cable nut. Acura usually only warranty brakes up to about 20,000 miles, but the service manager could do a good will warranty. I see a few CL owners have problem with your parking brake, but I could trully said that I have never seen a CL-S 6sp with a parking brake problem come into the dealer I work in. By the way dealers dont have a say on wear issue warranty, they have to go by what Acura tell them. If Acura say no and the dealer put it under warranty then they would not get paid!. Oh, how many clicks does it take for you to stop your car with the parking brake? let say on a 5 degree slope.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:01 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

well I only considered it a problem when it would pull all the way up and still not hold well. I'd say upwards of 15 clicks. Anything less than 10 I wouldn't even consider an issue. it's just that the thing pulled almost ALL THE WAY up.

I undersatnd it's not the dealer's fault on this but what I'm saying is that it's Acura Customer Service's fault. Get over it man, I'm not attacking the dealer on this one. This is Acura's fault.