acura cl service manual needed... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 01:38 AM
comptech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation acura cl service manual needed... HELP

Hi all,
I am trying to install the header myself. I would like to have a service manul for 2nd gen. acura cl. I have the comptech instruction, but it's not as detail as i wanted. I couldnt find a write-up on how-to on the board. I don't have the money to buy a service manual for 70 bucks on helming.com right now. But if someone who has it can scan the pages where it talks about header installation and post it here, I'll appreciated it. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2005, 05:06 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

The install is pretty straightforward, if you have any questions you can PM me instead of someone scanning the manual.

Remember that the back header is less slanted than the front one so look at both from the side and see which one is bent more and that one is the front header.

Here are the torque specifications that you'll need too.

Header to manifold self-locking nuts: 23 lbf-ft
Exhaust Pipe A to Header self-locking nuts: 40 lbf-ft
Exhaust Pipe A to Exaust Pipe (that connects to cat) nuts: 25 lbf-ft
Old 09-19-2005, 05:14 AM
comptech

thanks for the input. what instruction did you follow? the ct instruction posted on their website? I would just like to have something that will lead me to the right track... if the ct instruction is more than enough, then i'll start this project tomo.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

I used the CT instructions but other than that all I needed was the torque specifications. The hardest part was torquing the nuts for the rear header since there's only like 2 inches from the firewall to the nut and there's all this stuff in the way so I suggest having 2 people, one at the top holding the ratchet onto the nut and one under the car doing the actual ratcheting. Try getting off the nuts under the car off first, making it easier since you don't have to support the whole weight of the headers and downpipe and those are the hardest bolts anyway since they're the ones exposed to the "environment" (water, etc.) Use some liquid wrench or thread penetrator on the tough ones. I ended up just taking the cat off attached to the downpipe and disconnected it from the backpipe and cutting off one of the nuts since it just wouldn't come off. Don't forget to get your radio code and nav code if you're going to disconnect the battery. I had to disconnect mine because I removed the cap off the alternator in order to get to the nut on the front header, the one furthest on the left.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

One more thing, when you're putting the 02 sensors back into the downpipe and cat, twist them backwards so when you screw them into the bungs the wire won't be twisted. Just be careful with those.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:50 AM
comptech

thanks man... i'll just get on it, and let you know if i have any probs.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:11 AM
comptech

hi there kensu,
when you remove the primary oxygen sensor from the stock a-pipe to the new header, what is the factory torque spec, you know?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:56 AM
comptech

How did you guys using a torque wrench to torque the nuts that go to the header to the engine?? The space there is limited, and it seems to be impossible to put a huge torque wrench in there. Please advise. Thanks very much.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Did you find someone to help you out with those bolts yet?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
comptech

I am trying to get my friend to come and help me with the bolts tighting up. I don't know what the deal is, after screw the bolts up for the a-pipe to the both front and rear headers (just hand tight), I am now having problem with aligning up the bolts from the cat to the a-pipe. I don't know if it's the aw header fitment problem or what, I am so frustrated. I've spent most of my afternoon trying to line up those bolts to the a-pipe, but I'll try something else tomorrow, maybe loose up the a-pipe to the rear header and see...
Old 10-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

If the cat isn't connected to the backpipe then maybe you could check to see if you've got the cat the wrong way, I was dumb enough to do that, it's kinda out there since it just seems like you're having fitment issues. I went under my car today to see if i could fix those leaking gaskets and I realized how hard it is to get to the headers, it's all just bad memories! AHHH!! Good luck man.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:03 AM
comptech

Hi Kensukikatayo,
I didnt take off the cat, and the only thing I did to the cat was loosing the 3 nuts from the bolts on the cat. I am going to loose some of the nuts for the apipe to the headers, to see if I can wiggle those 3 bolts from the cat into those 3 holes on the a-pipe.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Advanced

I took the easy way out and had King Motor Sports install the headers; it was well worth the $120 they charged me for the job. Of course, I had to re-torque the header nuts after running the suggested 1000 miles or so - this was not easy - I used a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench and a u-joint cup connection - just a matter of having the patience into get the right position to get the cup on the nuts. For all the hassle involved, the satisfaction from the headers is well worth it.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:02 AM
comptech

$120 is a good deal, the local shop was asking for $300, so I was like I'll do it myself, and use that $300 on some other mods. Anyways, good news, I FINALLY GOT IT DONE.... whew.. it was easy man.. I don't know if it's the fitment problem or what, I spent most of the time try to bend/turn/whatever the a-pipe to line up with the bolts or whatever... and one another thing is the oxygen sensor, the o2 bung on the a-pipe for aw header is too up in the front, I had to try hard to screw it in, and now the 4 wires on the top of the oxygen sensor is pressing tightly against the silver metal thing. Is this gonna cause any problem in the long run? Man, if I was to choose again, I would definitely spend more money for CT headers because it's well worth it after tried the install myself.

QUESTION: this may sound stupid, but what does the "air leak" suppose to sound like? I can't tell if the sound I am hearing is the air leak or just noise engine makes. Let me know, thanks.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2005, 03:15 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

The air leak sounds like hissing. You'll definitely know it's a leak if you hear it. Congrats on finally getting it done man! Enjoy em!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:53 AM
comptech

I see... I just checked, and I don't hear any air leak. I took a long drive last night, and yes, I can definitely feel the differences with the headers...