Was this an Acura-CL S-type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 02:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was this an Acura-CL S-type?

But - this was fun.
I was driving on 92 heading back home - I love holiday traffic (yeah oxymoron). I don't know if I ever dropped to below 80.

At any rate, I'm coming up fast on a debadged Acura CL - blilliant blue - looks relatively stock, minus the badge. Now, this leads me to believe that maybe it was a regular CL - so if someone knows how to distinguish the two - help out!

Anyway, traffic on the bridge is "heavy" we both had to drop to 70 and I hung back of him about 3 car lengths. As we're approaching the end of the bridge the 2 lanes will turn into 3. The 3rd lane appears on the right (weird no!?!!?). Anyway, he punches it to that lane, I remain in the left lane. I wasn't really going to challenge him but I WAS going to go fast in this section.

Traffic almost immediately cleared up - it was only 6 cars and 2 holding everyone up. I see him make a quick move to pass all the cars and I'm now still in 5th going about 80. I quickly drop it to 4th and see how quickly I can gain on him - he's got a 2 car lead at this point. Well, I see traffic is absolutely non-existent for the next 30-50 seconds. So, I press the pedal all the way down while still in 4th.

I'm starting to run into his car - so I get over to the next lane - and briefly pull alongside him - we're going about 110 at this point. He looks at me like - You wanna keep going? I look over give him a friendly nod and gesture to keep going. So, now I'm in 5th and I know he's pressing it all the way as well. Remember no cars!!!!

Anyway, I'd shifted at about 6200 from 4th to fifth and began a slow and steady crawl away. I thought it was about 3 cars. I noticed some traffic up ahead - about 1/2 mile - and I instantly hit the limiter in 5th - so 137 and my wipers did a little dance on my window . I think he had a higher limiter...because as soon as I did that, I stopped pulling slightly and began losing ground. But since traffic was up ahead. I slowed and got over to the middle lane (I'd switched to the left when I passed him).

He came up slowly to my side as we were dropping to about 95, gave me the thumbs up - I didn't want to lose my death grip on the wheel so I smiled and nodded approvingly.

Impressions -
If this was a CL-S - not bad all - but looked floaty at that speed. Very good acceleration. Most definitely an automatic. If this was a CL - then I'm pretty sure that a stock M will lose in a top speed run to this one. Unlike other Honda's that I've driven, this one appears to not lose a whole lot when it hits its upper speeds.

How to tell a CL or a CL-S w/ 260hp?

I drive an 98 M3/4 w/ 72K miles and recent oil change with Mobil1 Synthetic 0w/30.
Please no flames...
Old 02-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice race! The CL-S has a bad 4th and 5th gear, but has a top speed of 147mph. My friend owns a 97 M3 auto, and we race all the time. He gets out to a quick lead because of better traction, but I walk him down by 30, and will lead until about 110, when I hit 4th gear. Welcome to the site!
Old 02-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Nice race! The CL-S has a bad 4th and 5th gear, but has a top speed of 147mph. My friend owns a 97 M3 auto, and we race all the time. He gets out to a quick lead because of better traction, but I walk him down by 30, and will lead until about 110, when I hit 4th gear. Welcome to the site!
Thanks! If only the Cl-S had a 6spd...oh wait..it does well we'll have to wait.

Though I don't think my steering wheel can handle any more of me gripping it for dear life at 130+
Old 02-26-2002, 03:39 PM
Silver Bullet

You can distinguish the two by the rims. The CL-S has the five spoke and the CL has I think six or eight spoke.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by madmax-cl
You can distinguish the two by the rims. The CL-S has the five spoke and the CL has I think six or eight spoke.
it's funny...you're the 100th person to mention that...
but...how do you tell the difference of a 16" rim versus a 17" rim @ 130+?
Old 02-26-2002, 03:58 PM
I've seen this before...

A CL-S looks much better when the car is moving at moderate to high speeds. Why? Because of the rims. They seem to look a lot larger in diameter while in motion. This is the way I can tell, but obviously you can't do this while driving---especially when racing.

One Love
Old 02-26-2002, 04:16 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: ...

Originally posted by Mugen_Power
A CL-S looks much better when the car is moving at moderate to high speeds. Why? Because of the rims. They seem to look a lot larger in diameter while in motion. This is the way I can tell, but obviously you can't do this while driving---especially when racing.

One Love
I agree the CL-S does look 10x better when moving, especially at night.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:16 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life

I agree the CL-S does look 10x better when moving, especially at night.
not your car :P j/k