Acura better not have given me a crappy paint job (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Acura better not have given me a crappy paint job (pics)

I noticed this while washing my CL this morning. There are about 10-12, small except for one, black specs. just about the gas cover, just below the trunk line. I thought it was tree sap, but I'm thinking it's paint, or a shitty paint job. These artifacts were NOT there last weekend when I washed, so maybe it isn't a shitty paint job.

I've tried mineral sprits and wax to get it off, with no luck. If I lightly rub my fingernail across the paint, they are very smooth, raised bumps. What the fuck is this shit!!!???

I'm pissed, REAL pissed. Anyone have any ideas on what I could possibly do to try to get this crap off? I may end up taking it to a detail place to see what they think it is.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:18 PM
Administrator Alumnus

For some reason, the second image isn't playing nice...
Old 01-20-2002, 01:19 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Old 01-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah.

That looks like complete ass. I don't know how you even stand it, for real. Sucks the penis.

:o :thumbsdn: :shakehd:
Old 01-20-2002, 01:38 PM
Old timer

Looks like tar or black paint. Probably something you picked up on your roads traveled or from a truck in front of you.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:41 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
looks like someone flicked black paint on you.

looks like thier just sitting on the surface, so maybe a mild abrasive?
Old 01-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
If they weren't there last weekend it's not the paint job. So basically the title to this thread sucks ass. When in doubt blame acura right? Get some ppg dx 330, that will take the spots off. They are probably tar.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by mattg
If they weren't there last weekend it's not the paint job. So basically the title to this thread sucks ass. When in doubt blame acura right? Get some ppg dx 330, that will take the spots off. They are probably tar.
ppg dx 330? What is that, and where can I find it?

Oh, and as for the sucky title... Considering the paint jobs on CLs and TLs has been discussed so many time prior, I don't think I'm wrong in at least questioning if it's a bummer paint job.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Those look like artillery fungus (Sphaerobolus stellatus) spores, very nasty stuff.

The fungus actually shoots spores as far as 10 feet at bright and shiny objects, like cars and windows reflecting sunlight. (I'm not kidding here.)

Avoid parking near decorative pine mulch. Be very careful removing the spores, they have been known to etch glass.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like tar to me. Especially if you say it wasn't there last time you washed your car. It sure as hell isn't the paint job if it wasn't there before.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TakeFlight
Looks like tar to me. Especially if you say it wasn't there last time you washed your car. It sure as hell isn't the paint job if it wasn't there before.
agreed
Old 01-20-2002, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

the only paint job complaint thus far has been the small zit or pimple like marks...

I think I have two on my car, but its hardly noticeable and its
symmetric on each side of the car lol.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:53 PM
Retired Post Whore

Ask those bums for a new paint job!
Old 01-20-2002, 06:35 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I took it to a specialty auto parts store, and had one of the people who works there look at it.

He first thought it was paint, then he thought it was tar. Then he looked at it again, stepped back, shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know what the hell it is. He didn't think a clay bar would take it off..

He suggested taking it to a body shop/detail place and see what they say. I'll have to go next weekend, I guess.

Oh, and to make matters worse, I found a massive rock chip on the driver's side door. Do you think a dealer would mail me a bottle of touchup paint? I'm 20-some miles away from the dealership and and I'd rather save my time by driving all the way out there and back.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm listening.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:36 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by TakeFlight
If it was tar, wouldn't a wax or mineral spirits remove it? It's smooth to the touch as well, which first made me think it was paint.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by IntegraVT
Those look like artillery fungus (Sphaerobolus stellatus) spores, very nasty stuff.

The fungus actually shoots spores as far as 10 feet at bright and shiny objects, like cars and windows reflecting sunlight. (I'm not kidding here.)

Avoid parking near decorative pine mulch. Be very careful removing the spores, they have been known to etch glass.
I guess it could be possible, but it's the dead of winter here in Chicago. Can these spores survive the cold?

If it is this... How the hell do you get rid of that shit!?!?!?!?!??????
Old 01-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Scrib

I guess it could be possible, but it's the dead of winter here in Chicago. Can these spores survive the cold?

If it is this... How the hell do you get rid of that shit!?!?!?!?!??????
I couldn't find a picture of the spores on a car, but here's one of them on siding -

And a little writeup on this stuff: http://cals.uvm.edu/ctr/gd/gd35.htm

I had 4~5 spores on my Integra about 4 years ago, thought it was just tar; until I tried to remove it. Tar remover and clay bars were useless.

The ones on the door came off by scraping with my fingernail, but the underlying paint was pitted. (Touch up paint and langka; good as new.) The ones on the side windows eventually came off with a razor blade.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by IntegraVT

I couldn't find a picture of the spores on a car, but here's one of them on siding -

And a little writeup on this stuff: http://cals.uvm.edu/ctr/gd/gd35.htm

I had 4~5 spores on my Integra about 4 years ago, thought it was just tar; until I tried to remove it. Tar remover and clay bars were useless.

The ones on the door came off by scraping with my fingernail, but the underlying paint was pitted. (Touch up paint and langka; good as new.) The ones on the side windows eventually came off with a razor blade.
Did you try to buff that shit out? I'd hate to pull them off and have the paint pitted as they're sitting up rather high, and touchup paint would be more visible.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Pro

tar its definitely tar its gotta be the tar
Old 01-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Generationz
tar its definitely tar its gotta be the tar
It won't even come off when I pick at it with my fingernail. I don't think tar is that stubborn. I hope the rather dramatic temperature swings in Chcago will loosen the stuff.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Silver Bullet

Yeah, that does look like black paint of some kind
Old 01-22-2002, 04:13 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
a fungus amongus...

If it was tar etc, the stuff you already tried would have gotten it off. If it was paint, you would likely be able to scrape it off very easily, especially if you keep your car waxed. It sounds odd but the fungus theory holds the most water. I pulled this off the URL below:

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/S...stellatus.html

"This tiny gasteromycete is known for its cannon-like ability to eject a spore mass (peridiole) a considerable distance, sometimes many feet. Though rarely seen because of its size, it is probably common and there are reports of it fruiting in sufficiently large numbers in mulched plantings to cause problems for homeowners, masses of the pinhead-sized, dark peridioles adhering to the paint surfaces of cars and buildings. "

Another from here :
http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/cespubs/hyg/html/199808i.html

"The artillery fungus (also known as the shotgun fungus) is another fungus that thrives in wet weather and has become a nuisance with the popular use of mulch in planting beds near homes. The fungus, which grows in the mulch, is white and forms tiny (1/4 inch) puffball-like structures that contain spore masses. As these structures dry, the spore mass is “shot out” of the fungal vessel a distance as much as 10 or 20 feet. These spore masses have a very sticky surface and stand out as black spots on sides of homes. You will find it nearly impossible to remove these spore masses from a home without removing the paint. A counterpart in the Ohio Extension system recommends using only bark-based mulch, especially true cypress bark, and avoiding wood-based mulches that were made from wood chips and ground-up wood pallets. In either case, it is recommended that the mulch be raked or stirred to help it dry out so that it is less desirable to the fungus."
Old 01-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I guess maybe it could be the fungus, but... It's been cold and there's been a light dusting of snow on the ground. From reading the first article, it sounds like this crap lives during a non-winter environment.

I dunno... I'm just pissed off!
Old 01-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Racer

I seem to remember, about a year ago, people posting about markings on their paint that turend out to be from the brake pads in the back...I thought this only effected the lower fender panels and the plastic was actually melted in places because of the heat of the material coming off from the wheel.

Does anyone else remember this?
Old 01-23-2002, 02:33 PM
Racer

for some reson the paint on our cars suck. thats the number one complaint. my paint does not look very good either i have lot of pimples an fish eye in my hood. and acura offered to repaint it.