My Car

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old 01-09-2001, 03:24 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike:
http://www.geauxonline.com/rptemp/pg1-tqproject.htm

</font>
I wonder how much something like that costs...

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-09-2001, 03:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll try and find it in the thread for you but to have you TC 'hardened' and would be ~$1k? Plus the cost of the tranny shop etc.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-09-2001, 07:26 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
I wonder how much something like that costs...
</font>
649$ without labor

------------------
pays to be young and crazy

-99 acura 3.0 CL
-58 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz
-55 chevy suburban (chopped dropped tubbed)
Old 01-09-2001, 09:37 PM
Instructor

I emailed him about it, he said about $900 which is the part, shipping, and labor to install.

Seems decent, but we'll have to see from the track results if its not phenomenal.

------------------
Kenny
Slow TL
Old 01-09-2001, 09:51 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by F=ma:
I emailed him about it, he said about $900 which is the part, shipping, and labor to install.

Seems decent, but we'll have to see from the track results if its not phenomenal.

</font>

did he tell you when he's planning on running some times?

------------------
pays to be young and crazy

-99 acura 3.0 CL
-58 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz
-55 chevy suburban (chopped dropped tubbed)
Old 01-09-2001, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
torque convertor?valve body or both??? which does what?

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeR
Sundance Platinum
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
Old 01-09-2001, 10:16 PM
Racer

What is a torque converter? Do our cars have one stock?

------------------
Old 01-09-2001, 11:32 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes what is a torque converter and what does it look like? Our cars do come with one and I heard that the stock torque converters robb us of 10-20% more power either at the wheels or in hp not sure, but I'm not sure exactly what it is? Anyone?
Old 01-10-2001, 12:35 AM
Instructor

K here's the rundown.

He was plannin on goin to the track this Saturday.

A Torque converter is the link between the Engine and the Drivetrain. All the power that you engine makes goes into one side of this little device, then it comes out the other end and goes to the wheels.

Yes we have one stock. All Automatic Tranny cars do. And a Valve body is just another part of the tranny, I believe that's what the tranny cooler works on, if you decide to get an aftermarket tranny cooler.

I may be dead wrong on this, but its sorta like a set of clutches with all this fluid everywhere... It sorta does its magic.

Anyways, that's not all too important. The good stuff is that before your stall speed, lets say for simplicity's purpose 1500 rpm your tq converter sorta juggles the power over to the wheels. Its not locked up, thus you're not *really* putting power to the ground, but you are, in a small way.

Boy, I'm doing a bad job at this. Okay, here's the black and white of it: Before your stall speed, 1500 rpm, you don't make power to the ground. After stall speed you make the indicated power from your powerband to the ground.

So right at 1500 you start putting power to the ground. Suppose that it were at 2500 rpm you started putting power to the ground, you'd instead be jumping up to a higher torque figure to launch you off the line... see? And what if it were 3500 (ridiculous) you would have gobs of torque to start you off the line! Tons of wheelspin.

When you have the stock stall speed (low) your car prolly launches with a measly 90 lb.ft of torque or so. That can't spin the wheels any, so that means your engine just has to climb up to the powerband as opposed to spinning its tires and sort of cheating and getting into the powerband off the line.

That's a poor explanation, but if you got it, good. If not ask someone else.

------------------
Kenny
Slow TL
Old 01-10-2001, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Here is a link to an explanation on the torque converter in our slushboxes.

The torque converter does lots of things. Torque multiplication is one of them, stall speed another. Check out this article and see if helps explain things:

http://www.findarticles.com/m1185/n2.../article.jhtml
Old 01-10-2001, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

There are more links: some good/some bad. This link was a bit flakey (for me), so I'm going to paste some of the faq in. Sorry for the long text:

Why do I need a higher stall speed converter?

Theoretically, for maximum acceleration the stall speed of the torque converter should match the peak torque rpm of the engine. A good explanation for the way it works is this: when you go outside jogging you start to breathe in and out faster and harder. Well the same thing goes for a performance engine. The engine is breathing in and out harder and faster, at a higher rpm. If a high performance engine makes power at a higher rpm, then a higher stall speed torque converter is what you need to put more power to the ground quicker.

What is stall speed and how do I determine what stall I have now?

Stall speed is a term used to describe the rpm at which the torque converter transfers the power from the engine to the transmission. There are different ways to test stall speed. "Foot brake stall" is when you press the brake pedal and then press the gas pedal. When the car doesn't go anymore or the tires start to spin that is "brake stall". (DO NOT TRY THIS! THIS MEASUREMENT IS MEANINGLESS AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS TO YOU AND THE TORQUE CONVERTER!) "Flash stall" is when you, from a dead stop, press the gas pedal to wide open throttle (wot). Watch your tach needle, you will see the needle jump to a certain rpm, that is "flash stall". A drag racing-style trans brake will give you closer to the true stall speed of a torque converter.

What is torque multiplication?

Torque multiplication is a term used to describe the amount of torque the torque converter will multiply. A torque converter is basically a fluid coupling between your engine and transmission. There is no direct mechanical link until the torque converter is in lockup mode. The pump assembly of the torque converter is directly linked to the crankshaft of the engine, however the turbine assembly of the torque converter is not. It is connected to the transmission input shaft. When the oil is pumped to move the turbine it is actually pushing the turbine at a higher rate. Each torque converter pump and design pushes the fluid differently, therefore giving you different rates of turbine speed . All of this only means that different torque converters will give you different torque multiplication rates simply by design. Our goal is to design the best torque converter using the highest multiplication rates for your application.

What does torque converter efficiency mean?

Once the torque converter does it's job multiplying torque for take off, the function of the torque converter is to be a link (sometimes called a fluid coupling)from the engine to the transmission. Keeping in mind that the pump assembly and the turbine assembly spin at different speeds, every torque converter has a different rate of slippage between the two. The amount of slippage is what determines efficiency. This is why auto manufacturers created lockup torque converters. Rather than having a torque converter that is let's say 92% efficient, they mechanically link the engine to the transmission, giving it a 1:1 ratio or creating 100% efficiency. This lowers the rpm of the engine, therefore increasing fuel efficiency.

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-10-2001).]