Aasco Lightweight Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Aasco Lightweight Flywheel

I came across another lightweight flywheel for the CL. Looks like similar pricing to the Unorthodox one and my guess is that it still uses the stock PP. Anyone familiar with Aasco or this product?

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...eels/Flywheels

Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks intersting.how much?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Banned

looks interesting.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned

WTF... I thought the only light weight flywheel availible for the CL6 was comptech. This better not be true because im gonna be pissed for spending all that money last month buying the honda clutch and flywheel set.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

actually it looks like its comptech, aasco, and unorthodox. i too am suprised that were other flywheels other than comptech. this is good to know. but... has anyone used aasco or the unorthodox flywheel?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Lives On BOOST

Originally Posted by sinfulj32
actually it looks like its comptech, aasco, and unorthodox. i too am suprised that were other flywheels other than comptech. this is good to know. but... has anyone used aasco or the unorthodox flywheel?
i would be interested too b/c the comptech flywheel is just so goddamn expensive and the aasco flywheel looks promising
Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Blown is Best

Pricing on the Aasco and Unorthodox units are both similar. The limitation to each of these is still in the OEM pressure plate. Hopefully Competition Clutch comes out with theirs eventually.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:46 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a cheaper version of the UR unit, but for more

So far here are the companies that make flywheels for the 6spd CLS:
-Comptech
-Clutch Masters
-Unorthodox Racing ($608 at www.prostreetonline.com)
-Aasco

Aasco is the first comapny that I saw use phillips to hold down the friction insert, seams a little cheap, i dont know why, I guess other options seem better, like allen or torx.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If you guys need the UR flywheel let me know. Competition Clutch will eventually release their clutch but it will be a few more months.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Banned

^how much for a UR flywheel
Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by sinfulj32
^how much for a UR flywheel
$600 shipped
Old 08-27-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Excelerate
$600 shipped
Thats pretty good, now all we need is decent clutch kit. I wonder how much clutch masters sells their kit seperately.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Banned

yeah a decent clutch would help out alot. i think i will wait for the competition clutch to come out as excelerate said. that should give some time to save for my clutch/flywheel combo
Old 12-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Allout
I came across another lightweight flywheel for the CL. Looks like similar pricing to the Unorthodox one and my guess is that it still uses the stock PP. Anyone familiar with Aasco or this product?

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...eels/Flywheels

AASCO is a high end product. They were the ones that were going to make ours. A modified version to work with a stronger pressure plate.

Marcus
Old 12-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Blown is Best

Marcus,

Did you see this thread?
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/how-stop-annoying-fax-ads-192142/

Kris tried the UR flywheel and had problems. UR did not stand behind the product but ultimately accepted the return without covering the additional costs incurred for their mistakes.

In the end, I think Kris talked to someone at Aasco that manufactured the flywheel for UR.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:57 AM

Marcus,

Did you see this thread?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192142

Kris tried the UR flywheel and had problems. UR did not stand behind the product but ultimately accepted the return without covering the additional costs incurred for their mistakes.

In the end, I think Kris talked to someone at Aasco that manufactured the flywheel for UR.
Leave it to faith to double fuck us like that. Just when you think UR is out but you still have Aasco, you find out that aasco are the ones who made their flywheels.

I talked to ACT about a week ago inquiring about a clutch kit and a flywheel.

A flywheel from them would runa similar price but for 100 of them it could be as low as $400, yeah I know.. not going to happen. I however did leave our board links with one of the reps so he could let the company owner know and have him check out the interest on the boards.

Clutch kit is definitely on their R&D list, just a matter of time, but the flywheel seems less likely.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:03 AM

Marcus,

Did you see this thread?

5min rule owns me =p

Just keep calling ACT and let them know that you want a clutch kit/flywheel the more people that show interest the better the chance. Also ACT makes their flywheels out of 1 piece construuction steel units, they feel its more reliable and they can make it weigh the same or like the UR flywheel a little more, they usually make a street version and a lighter version. So were looking at 13-14lbs for street I believe and 10lbs for race, which is what the Comptech unit is. Which reminds me that theres also another manufactuer that makes flywheels for us, clutchmaster$ I know they have a bad stigma to some extent which is apparent from the fact that their name is censored, but Siggy is running the flywheel with no problems as well as their clutch kit, hasn't been like that for everyone, more specifically Doc on v 6 p where he had them modify a clutch kit to work with the dual mass flywheel on the J30A4.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Marcus,

Did you see this thread?

I am not 100% clear on what the issue is there...

It does not sound like anyone every got any real information as to who makes what flywheel and how they might be different from eachother, etc...

One way or another, the quality of the product is independent of the product design. The Aasco wheels are good quality, and the one we were having built is specific to the car and clutch we spec'd out.

And what issues have people had with the crank pulley being used with a flywheel?

Marcus
Old 12-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Lives On BOOST

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I am not 100% clear on what the issue is there...

It does not sound like anyone every got any real information as to who makes what flywheel and how they might be different from eachother, etc...

One way or another, the quality of the product is independent of the product design. The Aasco wheels are good quality, and the one we were having built is specific to the car and clutch we spec'd out.

And what issues have people had with the crank pulley being used with a flywheel?

Marcus
UR flywheels are made by a person over at Aasco. The problem is that they shipped me the wrong flywheel, but nonetheless, the UR flywheel is not designed around a sprung hub, so it's very limited. I talked to the guy who made the flywheel and he wanted to design me one around the comptech friction disk that I purchased, but by then I was too fed up with the whole ordeal.I know Aasco makes good products, but besides Comptech, I haven't seen a lightweight flywheel that accomodates a sprung hub. And the crank pulley is no good, if you look at previous threads, there simply is no dampening the pressure plate goes to shit.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by krisdlm
UR flywheels are made by a person over at Aasco. The problem is that they shipped me the wrong flywheel, but nonetheless, the UR flywheel is not designed around a sprung hub, so it's very limited. I talked to the guy who made the flywheel and he wanted to design me one around the comptech friction disk that I purchased, but by then I was too fed up with the whole ordeal.I know Aasco makes good products, but besides Comptech, I haven't seen a lightweight flywheel that accomodates a sprung hub. And the crank pulley is no good, if you look at previous threads, there simply is no dampening the pressure plate goes to shit.
Pretty much...

However, I have seen 6speednaviracer on v 6 p run both the CLS Comptech flywheel and UR crank pulley on his J30A4 with a spec clutch and pressure plate, pressure plate is almost stock like too.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

The wheel we were having designed would accomodate either a solid or sprung hub disc while retaining a self-adjusting pressure plate.

Having less dampening for the crankshaft is not particularly good for the bearings (depending on the degree of out-of-balance is in the bottom end), but I see no reason for there to be any huge reliability issues, and especially any with the pressure plate.

Less dampening in the drive train means you are not going to want to beat the crap out of the motor. And a rigid hub means you will want to be more considerate of your drive train by using the clutch pedal carefully. But I see no reason why someone might not want to run a lightened wheel, rigid hub, or any combination with a pulley...in fact all of the above would result in a really satisfying-feeling setup.

Marcus
Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
The wheel we were having designed would accomodate either a solid or sprung hub disc while retaining a self-adjusting pressure plate.

Having less dampening for the crankshaft is not particularly good for the bearings (depending on the degree of out-of-balance is in the bottom end), but I see no reason for there to be any huge reliability issues, and especially any with the pressure plate.

Less dampening in the drive train means you are not going to want to beat the crap out of the motor. And a rigid hub means you will want to be more considerate of your drive train by using the clutch pedal carefully. But I see no reason why someone might not want to run a lightened wheel, rigid hub, or any combination with a pulley...in fact all of the above would result in a really satisfying-feeling setup.

Marcus
Can we meet up and take a look at this flywheel?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
Can we meet up and take a look at this flywheel?

No, I need 5 orders first, or at least 5 deposits. The wheel is a custom design that has not been made yet. And they are too expensive for me to buy all 5!

Marcus