99 CL lease trade in for CL-S Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 02:39 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CL lease trade in for CL-S Question

Hey all,

I've got a 99 CL 2.3 that is under lease. It doesn't expire until January 2002, but we're already thinking about trading in. It's been a really good car but it's about 100 hp shy.

It was leased through Honda Finance and I'm wondering if it will be a problem turning it in early. It's got a few marks (not dents) on the body as well so I'm wondering how anal the dealer will be about that. Should we get the body fixed before the dealer sees it? If we don't get another Acura will another dealer take it in trade? It's only got 19K on it so it should be worth more than the buy-off price. I know these are vague questions, but this is my first lease. That type S did look pretty sweet though.

Thanks in Advance
Old 04-03-2001, 08:56 AM
aka davo-tsx

I was in the same situation you are. I had a 97 2.2 CL through American Honda. My dealer didn't even look at my car before we turned a deal for my Type S. He cut me a check for the remaining balance of my lease and we had a deal.

I have a co-worker that had a 97 3.0 CL and traded it in at another car dealer. They went over it with a fine toothed comb and were very picky (unlike the Acura dealer).

I say go the the Acura dealer and just see what they can do for you to turn a deal. That way you know were you stand right now.

------------------
'01 CLS Red/Parchment-all the goodies
Old 04-03-2001, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

I also recently traded in a leased vehicle (CL-S) to purchase another vehicle from Acura (Type R). As with Davo my Acura dealer didn't even take a glimpse at my car. Very easy-going, no stress transaction. Other dealerships seemed very unwilling to take my lease as a trade-in, which made my experience with Acura that much more surprising and enjoyable. Good luck to you.

------------------
01' Yellow Type R
PIAA Headlights
Comptech Air Filter
replaced an '01 CL-S
Old 04-03-2001, 11:14 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In February I traded my 98 3.0CL, for a CL-S. The dealer gave me no problems and did not even look at my car. I just knew I was screwed, because I had a dent on my drivers side door. I ended up getting my car at $300 over invoice, I got one hell of a deal!

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!

[This message has been edited by Black CL-S 4-Life (edited 04-03-2001).]
Old 04-03-2001, 11:57 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life:
In February I traded my 98 3.0CL, for a CL-S. The dealer gave me no problems and did not even look at my car. I just knew I was screwed, because I had a dent on my drivers side door. I ended up getting my car at $300 over invoice, I got one hell of a deal!
</font>
hey man-where did you go??? sterling-mccall acura, i hope!!
Old 04-04-2001, 11:24 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life:
</font>

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 04-04-2001, 11:27 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life:
</font>
Nope, I went to Gillman Acura. I have bought many cars from them. I bought 2 hondas from their Honda dealership, and my parents bought a TL from Gillman.

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 04-04-2001, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I did something kinda similar, I traded in a few months ahead, but AHFC was letting me know on a weekly schedule that the time was up... So mine was basically a turn in. However, I nearly did it earlier, and it would have been the same situation that you're in. Here's what would happen, the dealer would buy your car, and payoff Honda instead of doing a lease turn in because you're just too far from the lease maturing. You'll have to pay a $600 aquisition fee from Honda because you'll be aquisitioning the car instead of turning in the lease and releasing or something. Also, the dealer will give you a trade-in value, which may be below what you owe, that's entirely possible, you just never know becase it depends on what leasing was like when you leased. Whether or not you get the security deposit depends on what the dealer does with it, if you lease, it'll roll to the new lease, if you buy it'll get used for down.... The dealer finance manager should be able to explain it, if not AHFC should.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL Non-Navi
Satin Silver
35% Metal Tint