6spd tricky to drive??? Compared to other manual trannys

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:29 PM
I Blaze Up In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6spd tricky to drive??? Compared to other manual trannys

I want to trade my auto CL-S for a 6spd but i am not that great at driving stick.
I am a 4 out of 10 at best. I want to know is the 6spd CL hard to drive? I heard that the 6spd version of our cars have an amazing gearbox but the clutch can be tricky to get used to.

Wut do u guys think? The only cars i have driven in manual were an old dodge caravan, an old VW Jetta and an Integra and i've stalled out a few times.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Confused Maxima Owner

I learned how to drive a manual car on a toyota corolla (very easy, only stalled once, didn't know about clutch+brake when coming to a full stop) but from what I hear these cars have the "sporty" clutch which have a very little engagement space, like that BMW 330xi I test drove the other weekend and I stalled the krap outta it (5 times and only moved 3 inches ).
Old 05-06-2007, 07:30 PM
The Case Worker

I bought my second car without ever having driven stick before. Went to a lot with a friend, drove around there for about an hour and had it down fine. No stock gearbox is going to be outrageously different then the next, it's just a matter of getting used to your car. I'd definitely say go for it and learn later!
Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I Blaze Up In

Would a lightweight flywheel/clutch combo help out and make it easier to shift
Old 05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Yep. Picky clutch. But try learning stick on an 88 Bronco II 4X4 with no power steering or brakes. That clutch didn't release till me knee almost hit the steering wheel.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bigmark89
Would a lightweight flywheel/clutch combo help out and make it easier to shift
Yes and no. A lightweight flywheel has a more normal and predictable engagement. With a lightweight flywheel, there's less stored energy and you've got to give it more throttle on take off.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I would not let the lack of experience with a clutch keep you from buying a 6MT if that's what you want. Driving a clutch is something that all of us have learned at one time or another. With practice, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be careful not to burn up the clutch while you're learning.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I Blaze Up In

is it true that the 6spd has very little engagement space??? if so WTF does that mean????
Old 05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda Tech

is it true that the 6spd has very little engagement space??? if so WTF does that mean????
Not so much about the space, it's the feel that is different than most manuals, it has the dual mass flywheel which i've never had before on other manual cars i've owned so the RPM's seem to stay up between gears and can make for jerky shifts if you are not smooth with the clutch engagment.

Once you get used to the "sweet spot" where the clutch is fully engaged, you'll drive it as easily as any other car.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Confused Maxima Owner

the feel? could you futher elaborate on this? I've only driven a wrangler's MT, saab 9k MT, and a corolla's MT, all which I've stalled very few times, but as for that 330xi.....
Old 05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda Tech

Originally Posted by aackshun
the feel? could you futher elaborate on this? I've only driven a wrangler's MT, saab 9k MT, and a corolla's MT, all which I've stalled very few times, but as for that 330xi.....
The feel means the pressure under your foot when pressing and releasing the clutch. The acura is very springy compared to other cars i've owned and driven, once you get used to it, it's no big deal.

As for the BMW, I hate to say but my brother's 328ci feels alot like my acura. so it might be tough for you at first.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I taught my fiance to drive stick a few weeks ago on my buddy's 06 mustang 5spd. She really had a hard time with it, but was slowly coming around. When I let her drive my car, she picked it up way quicker! IMO my CL has the easiest clutch I've ever used, but I did test drive one that was much tougher to get the hang of... don't know why there's such a difference between clutches from the same model and year!
Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Confused Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by jrmoskal
The feel means the pressure under your foot when pressing and releasing the clutch. The acura is very springy compared to other cars i've owned and driven, once you get used to it, it's no big deal.

As for the BMW, I hate to say but my brother's 328ci feels alot like my acura. so it might be tough for you at first.
i think jeeps are the king of springy clutches because it's as stiff as the bmws but it's much erm "bigger" if you know what i mean... and gr8 i figured i'd just have to get the car and learn on it....

Originally Posted by tnobori1
I taught my fiance to drive stick a few weeks ago on my buddy's 06 mustang 5spd
I've never stalled out on a mustang, but my shifts/starts/stops will make you lose your lunch , could never get the hang of it.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:19 AM
666 Speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tnobori1
I taught my fiance to drive stick a few weeks ago on my buddy's 06 mustang 5spd. She really had a hard time with it, but was slowly coming around. When I let her drive my car, she picked it up way quicker! IMO my CL has the easiest clutch I've ever used, but I did test drive one that was much tougher to get the hang of... don't know why there's such a difference between clutches from the same model and year!

Depends on how the car was driven.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=16
Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 AM
CL-Pride

The problem is it seems very weird to buy a stick shift car when you are not good at stick yet. I only driven my uncle's 1980ish Corolla, very simple to drive. However, when comes to test drive, i don't feel confident yet because

#1: not used to new car, do not know how it reacts.
#2: It becomes more like learning stick shift rather than test driving the car's performance.

Who here bought manual car without fully know how to play with the manual?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 AM
I Blaze Up In

alright guys i got good news and bad news. I talked to my dad and he said that he would go with me to Acura to see if i could do an even trade for a 6spd. BUT the bad news is that he still isnt confident in my ability to drive a manual car. SO we came to an agreement that he would buy my an old integra or civic to learn how drive on and once he sees that i can drive it around the streets/highway with no problem he would go with me to Acura to do the trade. It seems fair to me because his argument was that he didnt want me to strip the clutch on such a new car then i would have to cough up like $2k to replace it.

Plus he's paying for my "training car" not me so could care less
Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
I Blaze Up In

If anyone knows someone in the North Jersey area who is selling an old Integra/Civic in stick PLEASE LET ME KNOW all the cars i am finding on autotrader are too expensive i found a few on craigslist but thats about it. I could use all the help i can get

Thanx Alot guys
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i don't see how you could get an even trade?

and the clutch on our cars does take a little getting use, but i don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to learn it
Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Pro

I have been driving a manual transmission for about 8 years now and at this point it doesn’t matter what make or model the car is, I can drive it. Some cars are easier than others but the general principal is the same - when you really know how to drive a MT you just naturally take the appropriate actions to keep the car from stalling. That said I do believe that the CL/TL manuals can be a little trickier to get rolling and then drive smooth if it isn’t something that you do on a regular basis. This can be contributed to the fact that these cars have hydraulic clutches, which is different than almost every car out there. The other thing that can make it tricky for someone who is used to driving another MT is that both the CL/TL have what seems like a very small range in which the clutch engages, and does so abruptly. Like I said earlier, if you're not used to this car it can be tricky at first. Before I got my TL I had an Integra GSR...easiest car to drive ever. It had a wide range in which the clutch engages and couldn't be considered abrupt by any standards. The real point of this story is that if you learn to drive a stick well the CL/TL clutch won't faze you at all, and the reason that it can be harder to drive, at least smoothly if you're not used to it, is the hydraulic clutch.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
alright guys i got good news and bad news. I talked to my dad and he said that he would go with me to Acura to see if i could do an even trade for a 6spd. BUT the bad news is that he still isnt confident in my ability to drive a manual car. SO we came to an agreement that he would buy my an old integra or civic to learn how drive on and once he sees that i can drive it around the streets/highway with no problem he would go with me to Acura to do the trade. It seems fair to me because his argument was that he didnt want me to strip the clutch on such a new car then i would have to cough up like $2k to replace it.

Plus he's paying for my "training car" not me so could care less
No offense but that is a dumb idea. A new clutch is around $900 with labor. A used training car would cost that much & then you have to insure & register it. That costs more $.

And you will not be able to just even trade for a newer car. The chances a dealer having one is slim as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Just get the 6MT and drive it! You'll have it down in a few days. Stalling isn't hard on a clutch. It's just embarrassing. Try to avoid slipping the clutch too much. Slipping occurs when the clutch disk isn't spinning at the same speed as the flywheel. Some slipping is necessary for a smooth start but too much just wears out the clutch prematurely. Just don't give the car alot of gas until the clutch is fully engaged and you'll be okay. Also, don't rest your foot on the clutch while driving.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Hydraulic Clutch. This makes it different. And I think Acura beefed it up big time for the V6.

I've driven perhaps 13 or 14 different 6 speeds (some new, some not) and I noticed that they either tend to have very easy engagement or they engaged like the jaws of a steel trap sinking into your leg. Glad mine isn't like that. Seems you need to give them slightly more gas when starting from a stop than with other cars like TSX, RSX, S2000, Civic, NSX, etc.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I Blaze Up In

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
No offense but that is a dumb idea. A new clutch is around $900 with labor. A used training car would cost that much & then you have to insure & register it. That costs more $.

And you will not be able to just even trade for a newer car. The chances a dealer having one is slim as well.
I know its a dumb idea to buy an old crapy car but my dad can be very stubborn and no matter how many times i told him that its a waste of about $2000 if not more he thinks he's right and he's stuck in his way so what he says goes no matter what anyone else says.

I am trying to find a Rental Car Company that has manual cars that i can maybe rent at a daily rate that would probably be alot cheaper and more rational decision than buying a car and insuring it
Old 05-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I know its a dumb idea to buy an old crapy car but my dad can be very stubborn and no matter how many times i told him that its a waste of about $2000 if not more he thinks he's right and he's stuck in his way so what he says goes no matter what anyone else says.

I am trying to find a Rental Car Company that has manual cars that i can maybe rent at a daily rate that would probably be alot cheaper and more rational decision than buying a car and insuring it
You do realize that it costs an ass load of cash to rent a car when you are under the age of 25. Since you're 18, you're in a high risk insurance bracket. It might be another waste of money and time to do your idea.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I Blaze Up In

^^^^ It wont be under my name it will be under my fathers name i'm just gonna be driving it. I'm gonna start with baby steps first like in a big parking lot and then on streets that arent busy and then eventually on the highway
Old 05-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
don't you know anyone with an older car that will teach you? i learned on a friends accord
Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I Blaze Up In

No....... except my dads 17 year old dodge caravan which is falling apart as we speak and it has to be the easiest clutch to drive on. i want more of a challenge. my cousin has a 6spd audi A4 but he wont let me drive it.

The only other person i can think of is my friend who drives a 92' 3000GT but i doubt he will let me drive it mainly because i'm not that close of friends with him
Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Look on Craig's List (www.craigslist.org) you'll find somebody there who'll let you learn on their car.