?? 6sp owners regarding RPM drop depresssing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?? 6sp owners regarding RPM drop depresssing clutch

When my car is warm idle is around 800 RPM. Lately I've notice something when slowing down for a stop. When I depress the clutch and the RPMs drop off, it drops down to about 800 then bounces back up to 1000 - 1100 then drops back down to 800. I don't remember this being the case. Can someone else with a 6 speed check their tach the next time they're driving? I had the car into the dealer for a CEL and my gas milage has fallen a bit since the visit. I wondering if the RPM bounce to 1000-1100 then back down to idle is the result of something done at the dealer while trying to diagnose the CEL. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
eh

this thread has a few suggestions:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=vacume+line
Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by implicit
uh.. it's vacuum.. but good searching.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rp_guy
uh.. it's vacuum.. but good searching.
Actually, if you read the whole thread it was replacing the IACV that fixed the problem...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by omoulton
When my car is warm idle is around 800 RPM. Lately I've notice something when slowing down for a stop. When I depress the clutch and the RPMs drop off, it drops down to about 800 then bounces back up to 1000 - 1100 then drops back down to 800. I don't remember this being the case. Can someone else with a 6 speed check their tach the next time they're driving? I had the car into the dealer for a CEL and my gas milage has fallen a bit since the visit. I wondering if the RPM bounce to 1000-1100 then back down to idle is the result of something done at the dealer while trying to diagnose the CEL. Thanks.
My '03 6-spd does not do this... Can't really think of what would cause rpms to skip like that when you've pushed the clutch in. Odd.

Not much help, I know. Let us know what it ends up being when you find out, though, I'm curious now.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Actually, if you read the whole thread it was replacing the IACV that fixed the problem...

haha

but yeah, try cleaning or replacing the IACV. i cleaned mine and it's been good for ~6 months, but it's acting up again.

so much for honda reliability.. so many niggling problems with the cars..
Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Implicit - Thanks for the link. I don't have any of the symptons described in that thread. The car runs great as it always has.

Stickgoat Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure I would have noticed this before, especially since I owned the car for almost 6 years.

After a service visit to the dealer for what Acura calls a C service a CEL came on the next day. I assumed they didn't secure something. I was several hundred miles away at a customer and could not get to the dealer. On the way home the light went out. Then it came on again and went out, came on & went out.The car was running fine, but thought I should have it checked out. By the time I got to the dealer for the first visit the light had gone out. They pulled the codes and it was a misfire. Important note here. I was overdue to change the filter on my intake and asked if that could be the source of the problem. I was told no. So nothing definite and I was $50 lighter with the advise to bring it back with the light on.

I bought it back when the light came on again. They questioned gasoline. I buy from the same station and have been for several years. Same codes. 2 days of diagnostics, a new injecter on the #4 cylinder and a top end "cleaning" at the recommendation of Acura engineers at corporate. The light was finally out. Walking out $500 lighter this time and with no confidence the problem is solved. I switched gas stations but light came back on. And went out. And came on. And went out.......Also my milage was absolutely sucking. I normally get about 330 - 350 miles before the idiot light comes and now it's lucky if I get to 300.

I live in the north east and the winter has been kinda hard but I finally get a reasonably nice day, so I jack the car and put a clean filter on the intake. Milage has improved, about 300 - 320 before the light comes on. Better but not as good as normal. I figure it's the winter blend gasoline.

One day coming off the highway I'm watching the tach. I depress the clutch, the RPMs hold for a second as they always do then drop down to idle, 800 rpm. Then bounce up to 1000-1100 for a second or two and then back down to idle. I didn't think I would have missed that after 5 1/2 year but figured there was an outside chance. SO thanks for confirming that's not normal.

At least now I can engage the dealer again and ask if they adjusted something during the CEL trouble shooting that could cause that and the mileage problem.

Thanks.