5-spd Auto or 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:53 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5-spd Auto or 6-speed

5-spd Auto or the 6-speed. is there a big difference between with the trans. because some people say auto is for pussys and 6- speed are for real men..............
Old 06-10-2003, 02:03 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gate shift it baby, i got the auto cause i dunno how to drive a stick, and i dont want a stick for an everyday type car, maybe just as a weekend car,

modded autos are puttin up times slips equal or better than modded 6 speeds
Old 06-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Cruisin'

Had a 2001 Auto and now a 2003 manual and there is a noticeable difference in the handling and power between the two. I much prefer the manual. With the HLSD, the manual takes the curves with more confidence. The power is much more controllable with the manual. The auto had a tendency to unlock the torque converter and spin up the motor with only minor applications of throttle.

The numbers I have seen shown the manual about 1/2 second quicker to sixty and in the quarter mile.

The only time I miss the auto is when I am stuck in traffic.

My sense is though, if you are asking the question, you would probably prefer the auto. For those who like to shift themselves, there is no question. Its a control thing.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:21 AM
Go Cowboys.. woo hoo :)

Originally posted by MarkU
Had a 2001 Auto and now a 2003 manual and there is a noticeable difference in the handling and power between the two. I much prefer the manual. With the HLSD, the manual takes the curves with more confidence. The power is much more controllable with the manual. The auto had a tendency to unlock the torque converter and spin up the motor with only minor applications of throttle.

The numbers I have seen shown the manual about 1/2 second quicker to sixty and in the quarter mile.

The only time I miss the auto is when I am stuck in traffic.

My sense is though, if you are asking the question, you would probably prefer the auto. For those who like to shift themselves, there is no question. Its a control thing.
Yeah what he said...
Old 06-10-2003, 07:51 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 06-10-2003, 08:09 AM
6mt
Instructor

this cl is my first manual. i've been driving it for a little over a week and i'm confident that i'll never go back to auto. however, if you do have to spend a lot of time in heavy traffic, do yourself a favor and get an auto. my commute to work is 40 miles one way. from that distance i am in traffic for about 10-15 min/day. that's not bad at all with the manual. i think manual kicks ass. driving is so much more fun and you always feel in control. just my $.02
Old 06-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Where is my super sauce?

If you ask the question, the answer is probably auto.

A 'manual transmission person' would never even contemplate an automatic transmission car when a manual gearbox is available.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:51 AM
noodles tastes good.

Stick is for men. Women prefer the "stick" too. :p

I used to be an auto guy, but my pro5 was my first stick and never back to auto anymore. Time for me to learn the six speed and not f%#k up any shifts.

Also, manual is good if you don't want your friends driving it (that's if they can't drive stick of course).
Old 06-10-2003, 08:53 AM
noodles tastes good.

One more thing.. stick > auto.

I hate torque lag on autos.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:20 AM
CL 6 speeder

The bigger question is; do you LIKE to drive manual transmission cars? If you don't, after the novelty wears off you will be stuck with a $30k car you dont enjoy driving. What have you driven in the past? If you are a young guy you may grow to like manuals. If you are old and set in your ways and never driven manuals , you may hate it after 6 months..
Old 06-10-2003, 10:41 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a 2001 CLS auto and always had in the back of my mind that I wished it was a manual. I since traded it in for a 2003 CLS 6 speed. HUGH difference. The 6 speed CLS is a much sportier car... handles better... geared so much better than the auto... you feel the power more...

I've had my 6 speeder since end of this January... I still can't wait to drive it every day... I never felt that way about the auto... The 6 speeder is so much more enjoyable to drive...

As far as an everyday car in traffic... I now prefer it over the auto. There are some driving situations in stop-and-go traffic where the manual is better and other where the auto is better. But overall, I prefer the manual. On windy mountain roads... it's a dream... auto sucks going down hill and has a lot less control around turns... with the manual you have so much more control over the car. But I've been driving manual trannys for over 30 years.

If you've been driving auto mostly... then the manual might become a hassle for you.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:23 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I waited 8 years for the 6-speed. 1995 was the last time Honda offered 6 cylinders with a shifter in the US, (well, the NSX always had it). They make the best 6 cylinder/manual combo anywhere. I don't even consider the auto and 6 speed the same car, very diff. 6 speeds are hard to find now, my dealer has zero.
But most drivers want automatics, too bad for them. Until these auto 'sportshifters' improve I would never drive one.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto > Stick
Old 06-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by cls6sp03
I had a 2001 CLS auto and always had in the back of my mind that I wished it was a manual. I since traded it in for a 2003 CLS 6 speed. HUGH difference. The 6 speed CLS is a much sportier car... handles better... geared so much better than the auto... you feel the power more...

I've had my 6 speeder since end of this January... I still can't wait to drive it every day... I never felt that way about the auto... The 6 speeder is so much more enjoyable to drive...

As far as an everyday car in traffic... I now prefer it over the auto. There are some driving situations in stop-and-go traffic where the manual is better and other where the auto is better. But overall, I prefer the manual. On windy mountain roads... it's a dream... auto sucks going down hill and has a lot less control around turns... with the manual you have so much more control over the car.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Re: 5-spd Auto or 6-speed

Originally posted by gray_cl
5-spd Auto or the 6-speed. is there a big difference between with the trans. because some people say auto is for pussys and 6- speed are for real men..............
First of all, people who say autos are for pussy's ought to take a good look in the mirror because they might be transsexuals. Simply, if you like to shift and use a clutch, then get the sportier six speed. If you like shifting yourself, but don't want to be hassled in traffic, or don't like shifting yourself than get the auto. Forget this pussy bullshit some asshole has told you. Make your own decision.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Way Fast Whitey

The sport shift in NO WAY compares to the 6 speed. My GF has a 03 TLS, and her car is a turd compared to my 6. I also test drove the auto CLS and was extremely disapointed. Remember is you are buying a perfomrance car that you want all of the HP, on the ground not being eatin by a sloppy automatic drive train.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by CBR1100XX
The sport shift in NO WAY compares to the 6 speed. My GF has a 03 TLS, and her car is a turd compared to my 6. I also test drove the auto CLS and was extremely disapointed. Remember is you are buying a perfomrance car that you want all of the HP, on the ground not being eatin by a sloppy automatic drive train.
You're over exaggerating. I drove both cars and you can't shift faster than the auto. I'll admit that it could have a better gearing so than more power gets to the wheels, but not so that it would blow an auto away.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:46 AM
Way Fast Whitey

I have lined up again a black Auto S with comtech headers and exhaust and still got him with my STOCK 6spd. of course i think i have a fast one. It will catch 3rd on any street surface anytime. it is a known fact that auto tranny eat more power on the way to the wheels. You can not deny that. Look at car-stats.com. There is big diffenrence between the two models.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Pappy
Your over exaggerating. I drove both cars and you can't shift faster than the auto.
When people compare stick to auto they always seem to bring up the fact that the auto can shift faster then a stick driver going though the motions with his feet/hands.
This may be true at times on certain cars, but there’s more to driving then 0-60 and 1/4 –mile times.

On anything other then a straight road the Slush-Box or even an SMG system still has to make an educated guess at what the road ahead has in store for the car.
With three pedals and a shifter it’s ALL up to the driver.

This argument is petty.

I’ll say it again……
There’s more to driving then 0-60 and 1/4 –mile times
“FUN” is a big part of my daily drive.

Shawn S
Old 06-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by CBR1100XX
I have lined up again a black Auto S with comtech headers and exhaust and still got him with my STOCK 6spd. of course i think i have a fast one. It will catch 3rd on any street surface anytime. it is a known fact that auto tranny eat more power on the way to the wheels. You can not deny that. Look at car-stats.com. There is big diffenrence between the two models.
The stick is more efficient, but it also depends who's driving.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Way Fast Whitey

Also nice that the 6spd hasn't been built for 3 years.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Slimey
If you ask the question, the answer is probably auto.

A 'manual transmission person' would never even contemplate an automatic transmission car when a manual gearbox is available.
and there you have it. bullseye. my cls6spd isnt by far my first manual and ill never go back. i assume when i get older i may buy an automatic one day, but only if theres a manual in the driveway already. If you've never driven a manual before I'd suggest trying a 4banger stick, then test drive the cls6 and youll get the real impression of control. I love my CLS
Old 06-11-2003, 02:53 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I strongly disagree...

I owned an auto and now own a manual. You can shift quicker with the 6 speed manual than with the auto. With the auto, there's this lag time between shifts and the slippage from the torque converter. With the manual, there's no lag time or slippage.

Originally posted by Pappy
Your over exaggerating. I drove both cars and you can't shift faster than the auto. I'll admit that it could have a better gearing so than more power gets to the wheels, but not so that it would blow an auto away.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

If your'e racing me for money or your pink slip and YOU MISS A SHIFT...better be prepared to pay up. LOL.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
My reasons for getting the 6 speed have nothing to do with wanting it cause it's a stick. I have owned auto's too. I can say I like the auto in some cars better then a stick, & vice versa. I got the 6 speed, cause I didn't want tranny problems, or wonder if some where in the middle of nowhere, at 3am my tranny would crap out & leave me stranded 800 miles from home. That's happend to me in 2 other autos that had documented tranny problems, & were used.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
My reasons for getting the 6 speed have nothing to do with wanting it cause it's a stick. I have owned auto's too. I can say I like the auto in some cars better then a stick, & vice versa. I got the 6 speed, cause I didn't want tranny problems, or wonder if some where in the middle of nowhere, at 3am my tranny would crap out & leave me stranded 800 miles from home. That's happend to me in 2 other autos that had documented tranny problems, & were used.
Fuz, you can't go thru life worrying about trannies. Just enjoy...life is short!
Old 06-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Under the radar

I LIKE the automatic in my CL-S. Zero problems, downshifts quickly when I need it to, the manumatic mode is good for some passing manuevers and on-ramp fun.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:40 PM
East Coast Boost.!

6 Speed is the shit. Just get it. I enjoy the potential and power of it.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:52 AM
Subie Dubie

I've had no problem humbling 6 speeds of all kinds
Old 06-12-2003, 07:05 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by CLSter
I LIKE the automatic in my CL-S. Zero problems, downshifts quickly when I need it to, the manumatic mode is good for some passing manuevers and on-ramp fun.
It's also fun when you're driving through Delray Beach, Florida and you need to go somewhere in a hurry, but encounter TOF's (The Old Farts) driving like turtles and blocking lanes. Or those big shit kicking trucks that weave in an out of lanes on the highway. I just flip my stick into SS and blow buy everybody as I 'zig zag' through the traffic. Now that's fun and exillerating. I love the way those Yoko's grip too, adding to the fun quotient.