45K Maint $374 Bucks, Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
45K Maint $374 Bucks, Good Deal?

I had them take off all the shit i didn't need like air filters, tire rotations, urine additives in the gas tank etc. The regular 45K maint is ~$550 bucks, but it was worked down to $374.

Good Deal?

they also picked up that I had N20. tried to hide it, but didn't do a very good job. I'm cool with 1 of the service reps up there, and they were telling me how the techs were really "snooping" around in my car. Don't know what that all entails, but he said they definetly paid close attention to it and mentioned it to my service rep that I had it.

I hope my service rep is cool with me when I manage to blow my transmission.

Anyone else had 45K maintenance? How much?

also, my rear brakes are 98% worn. Which rotors / pads do I need to hook up with? I don't know how to use the search fundtion, its too complicated.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!

Wrong forum...

I'll move it just this once... Next time, it'll cost you!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:31 PM
Banned

why anyone still goes to a dealer and pays for scheduled maintanence is one of the greatest mysteries in the world. its all just a way to suck more money out of you for no reason. ask any auto tech, off the record, and they will admit to it. they will blow through your 45k maintainance in a half hour, and have time for a smoke break and gladly take your 370 bucks.

another great myth is that dealers will void your warranty if you dont get the scheduled maintainance done. thats just complete and total BS. ive never once taken any of my vehicles in for a "scheduled" maintainance checkup. i change my oil, rotate my tires as needed, and change fluids as needed. the maintainance schedule is just a ploy but still many follow it like a religion and dont see that its simply money down the drain. no one in my family has ever done any scheduled maintainance either, come to think of it, i dont think any of my freinds have either, and not one person...not a single one, has EVER had a problem getting warranty work done because of it. and we are talking about a WIDE range of manufacturers here....nissan, acura, chevy, pontiac, dodge, BMW, toyota, ford...just to name a few. and not one of these dealers has ever risen an eyebrow to the fact that scheduled maintainance wasnt performed.

if its for peice of mind, and that peice of mind is worth THAT much to you, theres no talking sense into you. some people are just like that. others realize that its a joke and simply do what a car REALLY needs done, i.e. oil changes, tire rotation, filter changes every so often, etc.

ill just gladly keep hundreds of dollars to myself for mods or a vacation or what ever else.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Racer

That sounds more like the price of a 30k service. Doesn't the 30k service have more items than a 45k list?
Old 10-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 123
That sounds more like the price of a 30k service. Doesn't the 30k service have more items than a 45k list?
i dunno, I only paid like $180 something for my 30K maint. )I dont really remember, but I know it was cheaper than usual)

don't really remember what was on the list as I don't get it all done anyway, only the shit I need. like fluid flushes etc.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by mantis23
i dunno, I only paid like $180 something for my 30K maint. )I dont really remember, but I know it was cheaper than usual)

don't really remember what was on the list as I don't get it all done anyway, only the shit I need. like fluid flushes etc.

Oh shit I just realized I never did a 30K service. at 38K now, ahh i'll just wait for the next one. My piece of shit is still running, barely.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jimcol711
ill just gladly keep hundreds of dollars to myself for mods or a vacation or what ever else.
...you mod your dump truck?

I know its a rip off fool, I just get the stuff done that I don't have time to do, not all the extra dumb shit.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Banned

bwhahahaha, dump truck....
Old 10-30-2003, 01:58 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

why anyone still goes to a dealer and pays for scheduled maintanence is one of the greatest mysteries in the world. its all just a way to suck more money out of you for no reason. ask any auto tech, off the record, and they will admit to it. they will blow through your 45k maintainance in a half hour, and have time for a smoke break and gladly take your 370 bucks.

another great myth is that dealers will void your warranty if you dont get the scheduled maintainance done. thats just complete and total BS. ive never once taken any of my vehicles in for a "scheduled" maintainance checkup. i change my oil, rotate my tires as needed, and change fluids as needed. the maintainance schedule is just a ploy but still many follow it like a religion and dont see that its simply money down the drain. no one in my family has ever done any scheduled maintainance either, come to think of it, i dont think any of my freinds have either, and not one person...not a single one, has EVER had a problem getting warranty work done because of it. and we are talking about a WIDE range of manufacturers here....nissan, acura, chevy, pontiac, dodge, BMW, toyota, ford...just to name a few. and not one of these dealers has ever risen an eyebrow to the fact that scheduled maintainance wasnt performed.

if its for peice of mind, and that peice of mind is worth THAT much to you, theres no talking sense into you. some people are just like that. others realize that its a joke and simply do what a car REALLY needs done, i.e. oil changes, tire rotation, filter changes every so often, etc.

the only thing you need to do is look at what they suggest at those mileages--and get done what needs to be done-- and while you might not NEED some of the stuff, there's a couple things that could be done a precautions-- but a lot of that stuff will keep it in tip top condition

by doing the regular matienence
Old 10-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
you have friends?

i dont think any of my freinds have either
Old 10-30-2003, 04:39 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
what did they actually do to your car for 374 bucks?! lol
Old 10-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Pro

Any list of the service? Like oil change, transmission fluid change, etc.....??
Old 10-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
no shit. what do they do?

i just rolled 44k and have never had any scheduled maintenance. :o
Old 10-30-2003, 05:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

ugh dont feel like listing it

now that i look at it, I got fucked. i should have never done the 45K maintenance in the first place. what a fuckin waste. someooone end me.

i paid 370 bucks basically for brake & engine coolant flush, retorque suspension bolts & motor mounts, oil change, windshield wipers, and to have them tell me my rear brakes are fucked. anmd other stupid shit that doesn't really involve anything. dear god, ill never do this again.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

.... you should hide in those tires.. because here comes the flames...
Old 10-30-2003, 05:33 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting point of view ,now for the rebuttal : why do people go to the dealer?
I realize full well that there are a number of people who can do all the servicing themselves .However the reality of it is that most cannot or will not do it so they go to the dealer .Does the dealer charge too much? Good question .Some do some do not .Frankly I feel we charge about the right amount for what we do for a given service on a car .I cannot speak ofcourse for every dealer .However there is a side to this Jimcoll is not being completely clear about .
Jimcoll would have you believe that a car dealer exists solely to screw the public out of money. The dealer exists to make money no argument there from me .But ofcourse Jimcoll is in the same business as I am .The business of making money or am I wrong here?? More or less everybody I know come to think of it works to make money .
The dealer is the one who get's the call when it squeeks when it rattles when it won't run when it pisses you off and yes even when the trans won't shift .The dealer also get's the call when a guy like Jimcoll calls and complains about whatever in his car .Because you know sooner or later something is gonna go pop and he'll be sitting there bummed about his predicament in life .But you know there is this little thing called "goodwill" and a guy like Jimcoll will hope and pray that even when his blessed warranty is gone and forgotten that a guy like me might say "no problem jimcoll i got your back" .But you know I only got so much "goodwill" and who do you think is going to get it .The guy who serviced with me or a guy like Jimcoll?????Now should you go to the dealer where there are people who can fix the car know it's systems get the warranty work taken care of inspect it for all the problems unique to whatever kind of car it is you drive and actually have parts that will fix whatever is wrong? You decide but I am a mechanic and contrary to what Jimcoll says you CAN ask me and I WILL tell you that we charge FAIR prices for what we do .

We all need a boogy man, for President Bush it was Hussein, for Jimcoll it is a guy like me at the dealer that fixes cars .

Happy Halloween Jimcoll hope your car is haunted

Jens
Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Banned

oooooooo........he got ya there
Old 10-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Beware of leakage

Keep your friends close, and your dealers number handy.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jens, I never realized that you worked at the dealer. Sorry, but I just wasn't paying attention.

If you don't mind my asking is it true that the auto tranny's on the CL-S are as trouble prone as memebers of this forum make them out to be? Or is it merely that they destroy their trannies by drag racing, using NOS etc. I have one of the first CL-S made (bought it in Sept '00) with 54,000 miles & I'm curious about this. There's another Acura Tek in this forum but Im not sure if he's not just a disgruntled customer.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jens H.
Interesting point of view ,now for the rebuttal : why do people go to the dealer?
I realize full well that there are a number of people who can do all the servicing themselves .However the reality of it is that most cannot or will not do it so they go to the dealer .Does the dealer charge too much? Good question .Some do some do not .Frankly I feel we charge about the right amount for what we do for a given service on a car .I cannot speak ofcourse for every dealer .However there is a side to this Jimcoll is not being completely clear about .
Jimcoll would have you believe that a car dealer exists solely to screw the public out of money. The dealer exists to make money no argument there from me .But ofcourse Jimcoll is in the same business as I am .The business of making money or am I wrong here?? More or less everybody I know come to think of it works to make money .
The dealer is the one who get's the call when it squeeks when it rattles when it won't run when it pisses you off and yes even when the trans won't shift .The dealer also get's the call when a guy like Jimcoll calls and complains about whatever in his car .Because you know sooner or later something is gonna go pop and he'll be sitting there bummed about his predicament in life .But you know there is this little thing called "goodwill" and a guy like Jimcoll will hope and pray that even when his blessed warranty is gone and forgotten that a guy like me might say "no problem jimcoll i got your back" .But you know I only got so much "goodwill" and who do you think is going to get it .The guy who serviced with me or a guy like Jimcoll?????Now should you go to the dealer where there are people who can fix the car know it's systems get the warranty work taken care of inspect it for all the problems unique to whatever kind of car it is you drive and actually have parts that will fix whatever is wrong? You decide but I am a mechanic and contrary to what Jimcoll says you CAN ask me and I WILL tell you that we charge FAIR prices for what we do .

We all need a boogy man, for President Bush it was Hussein, for Jimcoll it is a guy like me at the dealer that fixes cars .

Happy Halloween Jimcoll hope your car is haunted

Jens
dude, you, if anyone would know full well how much BS scheduled mantainance is....you look at the list in the owners manual...its "check this check that check this check the other thing" come on, those items are a 2 second quick glance at the peice and maybe a shake of a tie rod or a rotation of the rotor, we arent talking about time consuming things here. scheduled maintainance looks good on paper to the vehicular illiterate but to those that know whats really going on and what all that means and entails, scheduled maintainance is a waste.

ill say it again...

change your oil, rotate your tires, change your tranny fluid every 30k miles, change you coolant every now and then. the car will NEVER need any maintainance that would have been prevented by the costly "scheduled maintainance" plan that the dealers try to sell you.

if a car is going to have a major problem...i.e. tranny failure, major engine break down, electrical problems...any of this would have happend regardless of if you followed scheduled maintainance. any person that does what i described above will never have a problem with their car that it wasnt going to experience regardless.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:22 AM
retired

Jimcoll I seriously doubt the majority of my customers are vehicular illeterates as you kinldy state .They may not know the inherent function of every car part but I do not think that is their job or in their range of interest .It is my job to know this product it is my ass that is on the line when i say the car is safe and good to go .When I say it is good to go that means a customer can feel good about putting mom and the kids in the car such is nature of what I do pal .And to reiterate my point IT IS MY OPINION THAT THE PARK AVE ACURA TEAM CHARGES FAIRLY FOR THE SERVICES WE OFFER .Now Jimcoll it is your car to do with as you please and I am not twisting your arm nor anyone elses .I'll let the customer decide if he wants me to lookthe car over or the guy at the Jiffy Lube but rest assured Jiffy Lube will not be able to do any significant work on the car nor will they be able to tell you if the car needs a tensioner recall or have the ability to do the work .Nor will they be able to knwo what other inherent problem areas there are in the car .With all due respect to the people at Jiffy lube we charge the same price as they do for an oil change by the way so I beg to question the reasoning of taking your car to a place not fully equipped to deal with the car in question .

Jens
Old 10-31-2003, 04:30 AM
retired

Originally posted by SpeedyV6
Jens, I never realized that you worked at the dealer. Sorry, but I just wasn't paying attention.

If you don't mind my asking is it true that the auto tranny's on the CL-S are as trouble prone as memebers of this forum make them out to be? Or is it merely that they destroy their trannies by drag racing, using NOS etc. I have one of the first CL-S made (bought it in Sept '00) with 54,000 miles & I'm curious about this. There's another Acura Tek in this forum but Im not sure if he's not just a disgruntled customer.
The transmission in these cars has been a source of trouble .It is in my opinion not related to modifications it is just a case of an inherent design flaw .Acura seems to have the problem in han and has extended the warranties on the cars affected by this problem .

Jens
Old 10-31-2003, 06:00 AM
Team Owner

And to reiterate my point IT IS MY OPINION THAT THE PARK AVE ACURA TEAM CHARGES FAIRLY FOR THE SERVICES WE OFFER .
I agree.
I was just there a few weeks ago for my 15,000-Mile service and thought the price was very reasonable.
Plus I got a free TL loaner for 24-HRS.
I got the recall thing taken care of along with major front brake work.
And I’m driving 100+ miles across the PA/NJ border to visit PAA since my local dealer isn’t Comptech friendly like they are.
Plus Lehigh Valley Acura wanted MUCH more for the 15K service then Park Avenue charged.

I think jimcol711 is basing his entire dealer stereotype on one or two ANAL RAPE jobs that he got in the past.

Shawn S
Old 10-31-2003, 06:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

jimcol likes anal.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:42 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by mantis23
jimcol likes anal.

are all people from wisconsin into that? :sqnteek:
Old 10-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 700 Likes on 542 Posts
you know I only got so much "goodwill" and who do you think is going to get it .The guy who serviced with me or a guy like Jimcoll?????Now should you go to the dealer where there are people who can fix the car know it's systems get the warranty work taken care of inspect it for all the problems unique to whatever kind of car it is you drive and actually have parts that will fix whatever is wrong?
Jens
Jens, I agree with you in a lot of things. But about "goodwill". If you go every 7.5K miles for a "maintance" and spend about $180 for 7.5, 24, 37, 50 miles.... and at places like 15/30/45 spend $500... by the time you get to 50K miles you will probably waste $2K buks on overpriced maintance... So even if you get a goodwill, you already paid for it with all the extra money you wasted on service. So nothing is really free...

Besides, goodwill is not guaranted... so you really taking chances either way.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:01 AM
retired

Russiandude you are correct that itis the chance you take with a dealer .But if you are good to them they often times will help .Lord knows we do .
While it is true that you are going to spend a given amount of money on maintenance one thing that has always surprised me is the fact that people complain .Service costs are no secret .When people go to buy a car they will drive all over God's creation looking for that extra ten bucks off the price of a car .Yet I have virtually never heard of anyone shopping the same way for service .It amazes me that people will fight tooth and nail to get a low price on a car and then never even think to ask what servicing will cost .After all servicing the thing even if you do bare bones costs something .SO having said that maybe some of these people that complain are possibly in a car that is financially beyond their means .As far as "overpriced " well that again depends on where you get things done and I won't bother repeating my previous statement about fairness of charges .But wasted ????? well we shall see what is a waste when the car ge't older and the lack of maintenance catches up with the owner .As the saying goes "sooner or later, who you gonna call?"

Jens
Old 10-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

While it is true that you are going to spend a given amount of money on maintenance one thing that has always surprised me is the fact that people complain .Service costs are no secret
Agreed. Its a good idea to properly maintain your vehicle. I was not suggesting to avoid maintance. Instead, I was saying that a lot procedures performed by the dealer are not really necessay (check this, check that.... sure its a good idea to check, but some things are not critical, and can be avoided... ) Just an example, "adjusting parking brake". I almost never use it, and ig it works fine why bother adjusting it every 7 or 15K miles as recommended... there are other examples like that. Now, you can save a lot of money if you are a car enthusiast and enjoy doing maintance yourself then you can save even more $$$. Like changing oil, changing coolant, changing air filter, rotating tires, and A/C filter is a simplest thing to do if you are a car enthusiast who likes to work on a car. Just think how much money you can save by chanhing A/C filter yourself. Sure, doing your own maintance is not for everybody, but if you actually enjoy doing that why not do it? You save money and get pleasure from doing it. In the long run you save some serious money, so by the time you are out of warranty you will have saved enough money not to need any "goodwill" favors. (maybe not, somebody needs to do a cost analysis on this)
Old 10-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Racer

COST OF OWNERSHIP is certainly key. Think a totally sweet deal on a lightly used, high mileage Ferrari would be OK? Forget about it.

As a matter of fact, cost of ownership kept me out of a beautiful Q45 as younger guy that I might just still have today because I was so infatuated with it ... the 60K service was just shy of $1K @ the Infiniti dealer! Regular preventitive maintenance, but WOW! It was a stretch anyhow to buy it at that point in my life. Not killing on Infiniti(y), by the way.

Bottomline - that's why I drive a dead reliable Honda, err Acura.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

This has all been some good reading... Another for Acura-CL.com and the great members in it.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:34 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

our maintenance is cheap... stop complaining people... ask Lou how much his MB oil changes are...
Old 11-01-2003, 08:40 PM
///M POWER

mantis,
dont worry about the n20, u only got 5k on your warranty left, when i get past 50k i think imma hook up a 100 shot and just go through about 10 trannies then take out the bottle at 100k when the tranny warranty is done
Old 11-01-2003, 09:27 PM
retired

Originally posted by russianDude
Agreed. Its a good idea to properly maintain your vehicle. I was not suggesting to avoid maintance. Instead, I was saying that a lot procedures performed by the dealer are not really necessay (check this, check that.... sure its a good idea to check, but some things are not critical, and can be avoided... ) Just an example, "adjusting parking brake". I almost never use it, and ig it works fine why bother adjusting it every 7 or 15K miles as recommended... there are other examples like that. Now, you can save a lot of money if you are a car enthusiast and enjoy doing maintance yourself then you can save even more $$$. Like changing oil, changing coolant, changing air filter, rotating tires, and A/C filter is a simplest thing to do if you are a car enthusiast who likes to work on a car. Just think how much money you can save by chanhing A/C filter yourself. Sure, doing your own maintance is not for everybody, but if you actually enjoy doing that why not do it? You save money and get pleasure from doing it. In the long run you save some serious money, so by the time you are out of warranty you will have saved enough money not to need any "goodwill" favors. (maybe not, somebody needs to do a cost analysis on this)
I agree here but remember you are speaking from the point of view of a consumer who can manage hand tools .Most of my customers would not know a hammer from a rolling pin .One thing to remember is that you can also simply request only specific things be done to your car at service time .About that cost analysis ...................... ok let's say an oil change is about 25 dollars and let's say you are super cheap and you follow the manual to a tee so in about 60 k miles you do 8 .That means you saved an average of 200 dollars .That will buy you about 2/3 rds of a window regulator installed at the dealer out of warranty .

Jens
Old 11-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

will buy you about 2/3 rds of a window regulator installed at the dealer out of warranty .
Jens
LOL, yep, I am on 3rd window regulator now on my driver's window. they also replaced a run channel. I am lucky, its a nice dealership..... they are probably annoyed by me, but I am always nice when I complain and they are nice to me. They recognize me when they see me, and they know my name when I call