3 Questions in One SPECIAL! !

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Questions in One SPECIAL! !

Simple questions which i was hoping someone could properly answer... meaning a bit of prove and not just how u FEEL about them

1) Parking/emergency brakes: Any advantages or disadvantages in always using the hand brake (or foot brake for us) when the car is parked?

I'd really like to start using them every time i'm parked but I've heard it both ways where using it all the time is suppose to help out the "regular brakes" or the pads or something .... but its is also suppose to harm the rotors? Any truth in either?

2) Topping off gas: I always have the tendency of filling up my gas tank till the very last drop or the gas station attendant threatens me to get off his property.

I've heard topping off is somehow bad cos the gas needs "space to breathe". And that after the first click, if u keep pumping some of the gas is forced to go back in while the price keeps climbing. Anyone know whats the deal?

3)Blinking sound: Any way to make the blinking sound go away or lesser while ur turn signal is on?

I hardly leave my indicator on cos that noise drives me crazy sometimes! My sister has a Legend and a new camry and i luv how the clinking/blinking sound is hardy noticable.... or its just enough to let u know that ur indicator is on - so ur not one of those ppl who have their left turn signal on for 10 miles.

4) Had one more but cant remember
Old 02-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Safety Car

I use it / I sometimes do it / I don't know

:P
Old 02-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Race Director

And that after the first click, if u keep pumping some of the gas is forced to go back in while the price keeps climbing: Certainly not.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Banned

1) using the hand brake actually helps the brakes by tightening them everytime you use them. Not only that but in cold weather prevents the calipers from freezing open believe its happen to me already on another car.

2) I never top off my gas cause of the weight issue. for every gallon of gas is 8 lbs. more your driving around unneccassarily.

3) if it annoys you that much just change the relay. Some people put the ultra fast relays that make the blinking real fast.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Originally posted by kensteele
And that after the first click, if u keep pumping some of the gas is forced to go back in while the price keeps climbing: Certainly not.
Sounds crazy but knowing how many ppl spill gas by OVER pumping, maybe the gas companies with the pump makers came up with this solution which saves them gas and money... hell i dont know

but thanks for ur input focker
Old 02-16-2003, 10:23 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by lou
2) I never top off my gas cause of the weight issue. for every gallon of gas is 8 lbs. more your driving around unneccassarily.
Damn I never knew that!
Old 02-17-2003, 04:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by lou
1) using the hand brake actually helps the brakes by tightening them everytime you use them. Not only that but in cold weather prevents the calipers from freezing open believe its happen to me already on another car.

the parking/emergency brakes are DRUM brakes and are a separate system from the actual disc brakes.

1) I think using the parking brake helps keep the tranny from taking the load while parked on an incline or where a car would roll a little.

2) I always start to top off until the nearest dime, therefor it's never more than a quarter gallon. I did have one time when the auto-stop contraption on the nozzle didn't work and caused it to spill over, I did not notice any problems.

3) Every car has different "sounds". Get used to it or turn up the radio. Maybe your sister wishes her cars had turn indicators that made sounds like your CL.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by lou

OMG you have to be kidding!!! 8 lbs...its not going to affect your 1/4 mile time...jeez

EDIT: Save even further weight by driving arround naked...thats like 4-5 pounds...AT LEAST .0001 seconds off of your quarter-mile
Old 02-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Buckle Up

I always use my parking brake when I park...mainly because I feel it helps save the tranny. When I park in my driveway without the brake on, my car seems to jump back but with the brake it one stays in place.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bkknight369
OMG you have to be kidding!!! 8 lbs...its not going to affect your 1/4 mile time...jeez

EDIT: Save even further weight by driving arround naked...thats like 4-5 pounds...AT LEAST .0001 seconds off of your quarter-mile
Using the above numbers difference between a full tank of gas and 1/2 a talk ~65lbs. You never know when I might need that advantage for a quick getaway or possibly a BMW 330 waiting at a redlight or nowadays a Altima 3.5, Maxima, new Accord coupe 6 speed so you see I need all the advantages I can get. I would hate to lose a race and then pull next to him and say " yea you beat me but if I had 1/2 tank of gas I would of won" you sound like a :thumbsdn:
Old 02-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by monkeymato
When I park in my driveway without the brake on, my car seems to jump back but with the brake it one stays in place.
I know it sounds simple, but this is what it is intended to do.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mrdeeno
the parking/emergency brakes are DRUM brakes and are a separate system from the actual disc brakes.....
Umm I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

Last time I checked, the foot brake cable goes directly to the calipers on the rear disc brake There is no DRUM brake on my 01 CL-S
Old 02-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the parking brake just squeezes the rear calipers against the rotor? I never knew that.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by danny25
So the parking brake just squeezes the rear calipers against the rotor? I never knew that.
Front and rear Danny so if you want to prevent your car from being towed from the front use your emergency brakes. Last time the Sheriff towed my car they had to flat bed it cause they couldn't lift the front and tow it and they were afraid to open it
Old 02-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

hehe, hopefully I won't be gettin towed anytime soon, but I always use the emergency brake anyway.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:08 PM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by SilverKnight

Last time I checked, the foot brake cable goes directly to the calipers on the rear disc brake There is no DRUM brake on my 01 CL-S
Hehehe i got a great explanation from the guys at the shop i intered at. They showed me how on the gmc suv's, the roaters actually have an intigrated drum on the inside. It was the wierdest thing. Now, when i tightened my handbrake JUST A BIT too much, i learned that my handbrake squeezed the roater (this is on a 1st gen and might have changed on the 2nd gen). So, there IS truth to the statement, but it does not apply to the 1st gen, 2nd gen? i dont know.

Also, they told me that putting up the handbrake does this: Have you ever parked, and then you try to put it back into drive and its hard to change gears? Well, it prevents that, so it releaves pressure on the tranny.
(excuse the typos, its late)
Old 02-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by lou
Front and rear Danny so if you want to prevent your car from being towed from the front use your emergency brakes. Last time the Sheriff towed my car they had to flat bed it cause they couldn't lift the front and tow it and they were afraid to open it

The parking brake only sets the rear brakes (mechanically too, not via hydraulics). It does not effect the front brakes at all.

EDIT:

Your transmission in park is the only thing stopping the front tires from turning.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by shaHn78
Sounds crazy but knowing how many ppl spill gas by OVER pumping, maybe the gas companies with the pump makers came up with this solution which saves them gas and money... hell i dont know

but thanks for ur input focker

Oh sure I probably misunderstood you...I do think there's a way to overpump and spill. But I don't think you can stand there and overpump more than about a $1 worth...that's a lot of gas on the side of your car and on the ground...and the smell of gasoline.

Hehe, but I thought you meant that you could continue to overpump and the gas would actually go back up into the hose and into the ground, thus replenishing the gaspump, and the numbers just keep going, charging you more and more---so don't do this cause you may go $30, $40, even $50 and get no more than a tankful without even knowing it (no spill). Now that's funny isn't it.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:24 AM
Still trolling

Originally posted by SiGGy
The parking brake only sets the rear brakes (mechanically too, not via hydraulics). It does not effect the front brakes at all.

EDIT:

Your transmission in park is the only thing stopping the front tires from turning.
Yeah, only the rear. I have never seen an E-BRAKE do the fronts.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SilverKnight

it's not listed on the website.

Someone check the specs section of the manual or helms, please. I am confident they are drum parking brakes.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

it's not listed on the website.

Someone check the specs section of the manual or helms, please. I am confident they are drum parking brakes.

It's 4 wheel disc. It does not have drum brakes. You can see the rear rotor through the wheel. If it was drum you would be able to see the drum.

They are two totally different types of braking systems.

DRUM

DISC

Old 02-18-2003, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

It's 4 wheel disc. It does not have drum brakes. You can see the rear rotor through the wheel. If it was drum you would be able to see the drum.

They are two totally different types of braking systems.

what part of PARKING brake did you not understand?

the DRUMS i'm talking about is for the parking brake mechanism ONLY.

learn to figure out what we are arguing about before posting.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

what part of PARKING brake did you not understand?

the DRUMS i'm talking about is for the parking brake mechanism ONLY.
What part of DRUM and DISC brakes are two different types of brakes did you not understand. Sheesh. I was just trying to help.

NO IT DOES NOT HAVE DRUM BRAKES, OF ANY SORT.

It has no DRUMS of any sort on the rear of the car.
DRUM brakes get their name from the DRUM they have. There is no DRUM on the CLS. It's a mechanical DISC parking brake. Here look at these diagrams.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/rearbrakes.html
*note the mechnical lever on the DISC brake

Anyway, I'm not going to arg with you. You are welcome to think whatever you want. What do I know....
Old 02-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Pro

I think Mrdeeno is right--4 wheel discs with an integrated drum parking brake going to the back wheels.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by louisn
I think Mrdeeno is right--4 wheel discs with an integrated drum parking brake going to the back wheels.
Yep. That's right.

Also, its not a good idea to top off the tank, especially in warm weather, because liquids expand as they heat. If your tank is 100% full, where's the expansion room?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

NO IT DOES NOT HAVE DRUM BRAKES, OF ANY SORT.

It has no DRUMS of any sort on the rear of the car.
DRUM brakes get their name from the DRUM they have. There is no DRUM on the CLS. It's a mechanical DISC parking brake. Here look at these diagrams.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/rearbrakes.html
*note the mechnical lever on the DISC brake

Anyway, I'm not going to arg with you. You are welcome to think whatever you want. What do I know....
you were so sure of yourself just 3 posts ago, weren't you?

i'm sure the specs are either in the driver's manual or the helms or both. i'd scan it or quote it but i'm in brazil and my car and all the manuals and stuff is in PA.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

you were so sure of yourself just 3 posts ago, weren't you?

i'm sure the specs are either in the driver's manual or the helms or both. i'd scan it or quote it but i'm in brazil and my car and all the manuals and stuff is in PA.
I'm still sure.

So they built drums into the rotors eh?

Kind ass backwards if you ask me...

You haven't proven anything, so SHADDUP!

Easy enough, find the part # for the brake shoes. And I'll shaddup. And DONT post the brake PADS part #.

EDIT:

WERD, I'll shaddup.

It does have a "DRUM BACKING PLATE"

I stand corrected.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by louisn

this is what I always thought

oh, and check out the rear wheels, you can see the drum backing plate.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Retired. Not available.

I'm still sure.

So they built drums into the rotors eh?

Kind ass backwards if you ask me...

You haven't proven anything, so SHADDUP!

Easy enough, find the part # for the brake shoes. And I'll shaddup. And DONT post the brake PADS part #.

EDIT:

WERD, I'll shaddup.

It does have a "DRUM BACKING PLATE"

I stand corrected.
me too ... darn, you learn a new thing everyday on this board.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Gas only weighs 6.1 Lbs per gallon. Water weighs 8 Lbs per gallon. Just my
Old 02-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Gas only weighs 6.1 Lbs per gallon. Water weighs 8 Lbs per gallon.Just my
Old 02-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Red-CL
Gas only weighs 6.1 Lbs per gallon. Water weighs 8 Lbs per gallon.Just my
glad its not the other way arround...otherwise some ppl might decide to save some weight by cutting the gas with water

j/k j/k