3.5L dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Youre boosted, you should be running "rich" at WOT. NA shouldnt. Theres a few J series already into the 3xxs without a tune. Once I replace my headers and get my hands on the EMS 315whp wouldnt be a problem.
Should be running rich? lol, not if I want to make more power. It's just that way to be safe until I get a tune. The leaner the better, not just for power but for mpg as well. Just dont want to be too lean It's to the discretion of the owner whether they want an aggressive tune or a safe tune. I'm looking to get the EMS as well

On boost, you shouldnt run a large intake. The stock setup is fine. The reason I wouldnt s/c my motor is the CT kit uses the M62 which doesnt run efficiently (i.e. - spinning out of its recommended RPM range and running hot), even on the 3.2l.
I wasn't saying I needed one, just that my numbers didn't include a modified/custom intake. As far as the M62 efficiency, I'm not sure what people want out of a blower for a FWD car. One that puts down a minimum of 400HP? lol. 320-360hp is plenty for me. I have a hard enough time with torque steer as is and I dont hear the whine until at least 3500rpm and under normal driving you shouldn't have to rev past 3krpm's anyway.

Also, the only thing I have on my engine that is custom is the throttle body. Thats only because the A2 intake manifold snout isnt thick enough to bore out, so cutting and welding a new snout is required. The intake is 3.5" intercooler piping
Sounds like the intake is custom as well. Point is, custom intake, custom throttle body, custom/different manifold to get 294hp. Yes, I believe you have room for additional gains, but I have no custom parts and I made the same, yet my IMRC is disabled. We both have room for tuning but if I throw on the custom pulley, tune etc, I dont think there will be much comparison.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-Future
Should be running rich? lol, not if I want to make more power. It's just that way to be safe until I get a tune. The leaner the better, not just for power but for mpg as well. Just dont want to be too lean It's to the discretion of the owner whether they want an aggressive tune or a safe tune. I'm looking to get the EMS as well
What Im getting at is NA engines dont run as rich as boosted motors. You dont want to run into the 13s at WOT, you want to be low 12s (boosted), even into the 11s depending on boost levels. Im leaving a decent amount of power on the table running as rich as I am.

I wasn't saying I needed one, just that my numbers didn't include a modified/custom intake. As far as the M62 efficiency, I'm not sure what people want out of a blower for a FWD car. One that puts down a minimum of 400HP? lol. 320-360hp is plenty for me. I have a hard enough time with torque steer as is and I dont hear the whine until at least 3500rpm and under normal driving you shouldn't have to rev past 3krpm's anyway.
What CT supercharged J32 is making 320-360hp? Or are you talking about at the crank?

Aside from the blower not being efficient, another issue I have with the CT kit is the use of a 4 rib belt. That belt tends to slip, so you end up putting more tension on it to prevent it, causing additional wear to your power steering pump. Its not entirely their fault as they are working with the pulleys that are already on the motor, but the 7th gen Accord moved to a 6 rib belt which offers much better bite. Converting to it may be considered custom though, so thats off the table

Sounds like the intake is custom as well. Point is, custom intake, custom throttle body, custom/different manifold to get 294hp. Yes, I believe you have room for additional gains, but I have no custom parts and I made the same, yet my IMRC is disabled. We both have room for tuning but if I throw on the custom pulley, tune etc, I dont think there will be much comparison.
A length of pipe that is larger then off the shelf parts is considered custom?

I haven't seen a boosted motor with the IMRC enabled. It makes tuning a nightmare.

And Im not trying to debate the merits of boost vs NA. But there are some comments made (everywhere, not just here) that are implying that a stroker costs much more then a supercharger and doesn't make as much power. Thats just not true and there are many stroked Js out there that can prove it.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 01-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Lives in Boost

I really dont want to go through the threads I've seen where boosted folks state how much whp they have. "A length of pipe that is larger (in diameter) then off the shelf parts is considered custom?" Umm yeah, that's the definition of custom correct? Not stock/OEM but I'm not going to split hairs.
We'll just let the dyno's do the talking since we've done enough of it. I didn't mean to turn this into a boosted vs na thread as I respect both kinds of builds
Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
I don't think a J32 with 12.1 and boost is going to run on any type of pump gas you can get in the Denver area.
never said it would be straight pump gas ALL the time, it would probably use at least some water/meth, all the time, to help keep detonation under control

also what says i can't get street legal 100 octane pump gas (it's only a couple of miles from my house too)

also WHAT THE F@CK are you talking about with the J32, it would be a J36 instead (i am probably just going to leave my current engine alone internally till i either blow it, or stroke it
and there are ways to be able to run higher compression too, like making sure there are no hot spots inside the cylinder (no sharp points, and surfaces mirror like, to basically stop any carbon buildup [and my combustion chambers are actually pretty clean considering it basically has 125k on it; some of it, is actually just a matter of putting some heat into the combustion chamber on a regular basis, so that any build up can burn off](some cars, especially with grandpa style driving, you can make run better just by flooring it, and burning some of the carbon off), maybe put some ceramic coatings on even

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-06-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just because you stroke a J32 does not make it a J36. It will still use the same heads and block. So if a J32 can or can not handle 12-1 with boost then the same should hold to what you call a J36. Same heads, same hot spots and all.

So you are going to build a CLS with 12.1 comp with boost and run only 100 octane fuel and meth all the time? Last time I got 100 octane from a pump in Vegas in 2006 it was $7.55 a gallon, Good luck with that. You go guy!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Just because you stroke a J32 does not make it a J36. It will still use the same heads and block. So if a J32 can or can not handle 12-1 with boost then the same should hold to what you call a J36. Same heads, same hot spots and all.

So you are going to build a CLS with 12.1 comp with boost and run only 100 octane fuel and meth all the time? Last time I got 100 octane from a pump in Vegas in 2006 it was $7.55 a gallon, Good luck with that. You go guy!
you know what i meant by a J36, and NO it would not be stock internally anymore
and i would clean up those hot spots since it would be all apart

and a TLS, TYVM
as far as 100 octane, i was being sarcastic, and basically saying that i could if wanted too, not the most pratical though lol
as far as meth, not that expensive, especially when you can get washer fluid by the bulk (ie: 55 gallon drums)(then add straight methanol as needed to achieve the desired ratio

btw i would not be shooting for high hp numbers, but more of a very broad power band, so i would be only going for lower boost numbers then most people (like on race gas, the most i ever really want to run is like 15 or so)
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Best I could ever do in Colorado Springs for pump was Farm Crest 93. I had to go to a machine shop to get 104. Sucked cause it was $8.50 a gallon.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Once I replace my headers and get my hands on the EMS 315whp wouldnt be a problem.
What happened to the other route?

We should do a EMS group buy! Unless everyone is all talk
Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Lives in Boost

Originally Posted by SPoolinspOON

Great idea. I'd definitely be in. Whaddaya think $900 a piece?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Great idea. I'd definitely be in. Whaddaya think $900 a piece?

@ 900/ piece i'll buy right now
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by SPoolinspOON

I was down for the GB awhile ago, and Im still down. Paul is working on Nates EMS conversion so Im waiting to see everything ironed out with that before I do it. Being the guinea pig is fun and all, but not when it comes to engine management.

Im not going the other route now. I want to see what the EMS can get me and I really dont know what my future plans are. I have a goal in mind and Im confident I can hit it. If I cant, Ill explore my options.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
Personally I am just going to do the ported tb/intake/runners. I am not going to mill the head or do anything to it. If I can I want to get a p2r header or a custom set made. Then a 2.5 or 3" custom exhaust.
I would include pNp on the heads also. If you don't port the heads, they will be your bottleneck. The 3.5 Top end responds very well to a pNp.
Break em down clean em, then they'll be refreshed for the stronger New low end.

Mr. Smalser mentioned the valve guide area can be opened up??? along with the ports and a slight polish.
even though its a small hp/tq return for the cost of pNp, it all adds up on N/A. right?

if you get the Standalone working good, Brian6speed, you could see over 300WHP. Good luck man.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you guys using custom pistons after you bore out your CL's and is it possible to use the stock accord or 3.5 rl pistons. What is the best way to go about increasing displacemnet?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also what is the max you can stroke out the motor to? Custom pistons will be extremely expensive.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
^Not really it might be cheaper than oem and i think max is 3.7 or 3.8
Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 PM

If you go with a 3.5 or a 3.6 there is no boring of the block. Its just a stroke. OEM pistons are used.

The max without sleeving the block is 3.7. The 3.7 does require a 90mm bore.