265HP, 325 pds. of tourque

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
265HP, 325 pds. of tourque

No, it's not sports car Its a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the High Output V8.

I'm starting to spec out my next vehicle past the CL-S and I'm definitely looking at an SUV. I was originally looking at something smaller but this is real nice size-wize, speedwize, and pennywise

I test drove one with all the options tonight and wowo, I did not realize there were soo many toys in this truck:

Heated Seats
10-Way Power Seating for the driver 6 for the passenger
Awesome internal console that tells you everything from a blown light to setting how long you want your lights to stay on after you turn off the engine.
Infared Sensor controlled climate control (dual)
Memory Pedals, mirrors, radio stations, seats through keys
Infinity sound system with 10 disk CD-Changer
Steering wheel controls that put my CL-S to shame
Rain Sensor for wipers and auto-dimming rear-view
Dual cigarette lighters (one stays on even when you leave the truck so you can continue charging that cell phone)
Power Express Sunroof
Side and frontal airbags
Leather plush enough to sleep on
17" Chrome Rims very cool for a truck w/ a chrome tip exhaust.

What I would have liked to seen:
Navigation (I have the Alpine IVA-C800 so I'll bring the navi)
Passenger mirror auto-down reverse
Xenon lights (but I'll put them in)

All in all the best SUV so far for features and price. If I get desperate for more speed I'll call PGATour's dad and get a supercharger ahhahhahha

Not buying anything yet but this looks very promising.

Why not an MDX? Reminds me too much of a CL on the inside and Acura really lost my business when I watch one of my friends go through 5 trannys and still can't get a strait deal from Honda
Old 06-11-2002, 08:16 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are certainly sweet trucks

There have been Several members on here post about how much they like them... Maybe you could try and read their posts...
Old 06-11-2002, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Re: 265HP, 325 pds. of tourque

Originally posted by eclipse23
Acura really lost my business when I watch one of my friends go through 5 trannys and still can't get a strait deal from Honda
He’s up to FIVE now ???

SUV’s are sweet, but they don't handle for SHIT.

Shawn S
Old 06-11-2002, 08:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dom418
Those are certainly sweet trucks

There have been Several members on here post about how much they like them... Maybe you could try and read their posts...
Do I detect a note of sarcasm? :shakehd: :pfawk: :sqntfawk: :sqnteek:
Old 06-11-2002, 09:06 PM
'Cooter

Jeep's Quadra drive is sweet...really rivals Subaru AWD and Audi's Quatro...but that's bout it...i'll bet yer gonna have more squeaks, creaks, and rattles than the CL-S inside a month :P

allow me to present a comparison for ya...i initially bought a '00 Stang GT cuz i wanted a sports car that had everything, and it did...the CL-S has EVERYTHING the GT had, such as 17 in. tires, nice rims, 260 stock HP, 2 doors, etc., cept the CL-S had a 6-CD changer...i changed my mind and went with Acura since i felt Acura was better quality than Ford...my point?? simple...just b/c a Jeep has what other SUV's can have doesn't mean u should lock yerself with the Jeep...remember, the tradition of the vehicle is just as important as what the vehicle comes with.

if u've already considered my view and dismissed it, that's cool...i'd say congratulations and best of luck to ya...just don't ferget us CL-S peeps while postin on the Jeep forums
Old 06-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who went through 5 trannies?

Also - the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is MUCH better than the wussy entry-level SUV you linked me to the other day, Ern.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:25 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

One man's opinion:

For reasons too numerous to mention, I HATE SUVs!

Suffice it to say that they block the road, they block my view of the road AND they're on a CL board. Is there no respite, no safe haven from the hegemony?

BTW, I drive an employer supplied Jeep Cherokee daily. So, I'm on firm ground when I say that SUVs SUCK!
Old 06-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

how about 345hp and 380(lb-ft) Cadillac Escalade

Old 06-11-2002, 10:20 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
Rock Dog has one, and my friend has one...really n ice, a great leap from past years for Jeep...

a serious contender...great stock sound, great seats, great vision, and not bad handling...along with a silky tranny and ride....

good choice to put in the pot Ern
Old 06-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

The jeep is deffinetly a nice track, however expect many more rattles than you have right now in the CLS. The truck really turn to shit after about 13k or so, according to my buddy whos own a fully loaded one. Also, it looses its value terribly. I would recommend against it. How about a slightly used ML430?
Old 06-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: 265HP, 325 pds. of tourque

Originally posted by eclipse23
No, it's not sports car Its a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the High Output V8.

I'm starting to spec out my next vehicle past the CL-S and I'm definitely looking at an SUV. I was originally looking at something smaller but this is real nice size-wize, speedwize, and pennywise

I test drove one with all the options tonight and wowo, I did not realize there were soo many toys in this truck:

Heated Seats
10-Way Power Seating for the driver 6 for the passenger
Awesome internal console that tells you everything from a blown light to setting how long you want your lights to stay on after you turn off the engine.
Infared Sensor controlled climate control (dual)
Memory Pedals, mirrors, radio stations, seats through keys
Infinity sound system with 10 disk CD-Changer
Steering wheel controls that put my CL-S to shame
Rain Sensor for wipers and auto-dimming rear-view
Dual cigarette lighters (one stays on even when you leave the truck so you can continue charging that cell phone)
Power Express Sunroof
Side and frontal airbags
Leather plush enough to sleep on
17" Chrome Rims very cool for a truck w/ a chrome tip exhaust.

What I would have liked to seen:
Navigation (I have the Alpine IVA-C800 so I'll bring the navi)
Passenger mirror auto-down reverse
Xenon lights (but I'll put them in)

All in all the best SUV so far for features and price. If I get desperate for more speed I'll call PGATour's dad and get a supercharger ahhahhahha

Not buying anything yet but this looks very promising.

Why not an MDX? Reminds me too much of a CL on the inside and Acura really lost my business when I watch one of my friends go through 5 trannys and still can't get a strait deal from Honda
My mom has one and has been perfectly reliable.

It got the big engine and every option available.

The only thing she "gripes" about are the seats (in comparision to my seats in the CLS and to the seats in some of the other cars.)

She runs it down the HWY for long trips and the back support could be better.

Other than that -- zero problems and its got the 5-speed auto with the HO engine (265 HP).

Copy of Invoice says:

------------------------------------------------------
2002 MODEL YEEAR

Jeep GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 4WD

….

Engine: Engine –4.7L Power Tech HO V8
Transmission: Transmission-5-Spd-Automatic 5-45RFE

Every available option was gathered and was the first one on the lot up in Reno.
(Even has a tire pressure monitoring system…)

Base Invoice was $32,700
The total price was :$36,515 (with every option that was available)

There are two discounts: 1) Limited Equipment Discount -$500 2) V-8 Bonus Discount -$700

She paid a good deal less…

...That's all I know for now... other than its fast, but not as fast as the CLS...
Old 06-12-2002, 01:20 AM
Advanced

Wait a lil bit

If you're not in a hurry, I'd suggest waiting for the All New Toyota 4 Runner due out later this year. It'll be similar to the upcoming Lexus GX470. It's rumored to have a V8 option, and should be very nice. It'll still be a truly capable off-roader, as well as better on the road. I'm waiting to see it, and the GX470 myself. 4 Runner should be in a little before the GX470, which has a November launch date.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:21 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Damn, it's about time Toyota put out a new 4 Runner!

Funny thing about the Jeep--I was watching some guy in his shiny new Jeep at a furniture store attempting to put a coffee table in it and he couldn't even get the table in the "truck". I had to laugh. There are many cars that have more cargo space than the jeeps.

Plus, everytime one of us buys a gas-guzzling, 9-11mpg SUV we support the dependency of our nation on Middle Eastern oil.

I was also watching a recent TV show comparing the load carrying capabilities of SUVs to cars and just about every small and midsize SUV actually had LOWER load carrying ratings than your standard passenger car! Ha.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:35 AM
Ted
Burning Brakes

I dont' know much about the brand new jeeps, but my girlfriend's family had a 95 and a 02 jeep...and from what her dad told me, he shouldn't have hoped that 02 would've been better...apparently he's been through alot of repairs with the 95, and on his 02, after a couple of months, he started having problems again. I was also talking to one of my mechanics and he said that he always has jeeps in the shop fixing this or that, and that he wouldn't recommend them. My neighbor who is a car dealer also told me that the jeeps are great for up to a couple of years, then they turn to shit...

Just letting you know what I found out for my dad when he was looking at suvs (and ended up getting a minivan:P)

Oh yeah, I just remembered that my suitemate (in college) had a 96 grand cherokee and he loves it to death, even though he's been through his share of repairs...And my roomate loves his (more like his mom's) V8 cherokee, and hasn't had many problems with it (that he hasn't caused )

Good luck on what you decide to get bro
Old 06-12-2002, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just remember it rides like a truck. It's a jeep, it's not a soft suspension, like a RX 300, or X5. It has alot of road/wind noise too.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, Jeeps especially the V8 ones have the worst reliability. You are always taking it in for one reason or the other. To make matters worse....the Chrysler service as a rule of thumb SUCKS!!! If you are willing to deal with that then go right ahead. The are sweet looking, though. Why can't American carmakers get their act together!!!????
Old 06-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by JZ
-I was watching some guy in his shiny new Jeep at a furniture store attempting to put a coffee table in it and he couldn't even get the table in the "truck". I had to laugh. There are many cars that have more cargo space than the jeeps.
Judging by the Audio system that Ernie has in his CL, cargo capacity isn’t real high on his priority list.

I bet if he buys an SUV it will be sitting in the StreetEffects shop for several weeks.
After the install when he buys a 6-Pack of beer it will have to go on the passenger seat because the entire rear will be full of speakers & Amps.

Shawn S
Old 06-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

My uncle has had about 10 of them. All fully loaded. Company car. Never kept more than a year or two. He had one for 2 months. Its was a total lemon. Another 2 never made it a year. A few ran perfect. He had a choice between the jeep or a buick. He did not care, it was not his money. He got so fed up with the jeeps he eventually took a buick. Now he's the company president and gets his choice: a Lexus LS 430.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:21 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally posted by Loseit
Dude, Jeeps especially the V8 ones have the worst reliability. You are always taking it in for one reason or the other. To make matters worse....the Chrysler service as a rule of thumb SUCKS!!! If you are willing to deal with that then go right ahead. The are sweet looking, though. Why can't American carmakers get their act together!!!????
not so much recently...the new v8 is poving to be a good runner without problems...
Old 06-12-2002, 11:13 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

The V8 trouble was more in line with the previous models 5.2 an 5.9L V8's. The all new 4.7L V8 has been getting rave reviews for quietness, power, reliability, performance and so on.

The 99-00 models had there share of issues. Especially when it comes to drivetrain noise. But most of that has been remedied.

My wifes 02 LTD (our 4th JGC) is very quiet with regards to wind noise. And the ride is much better than almost anythign els ein it's class.

BTW so far, 2,500 miles. The intial quality is great. Much better than out 99 I-6 was (first model year.) She drives mostly stop and go, ruch hour traffic and has been getting almost 16 MPG not 9 or 10 .
Old 06-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Location: Amarillo, TX - Home; Austin, TX - School; Wintergreen, VA - Summer
I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4x4.

It hasnt been the most reliable thing, but thats what extended warranties are for. Jeep service does suck, but if you find a good dealer it can be bearable.

Mine is currently up for sale, with the extended warranty. Maybe you would like to consider a trade?

And Rock Dog, the 5.9 V8's are very dependable. Its the axles that give us trouble. Mine are both comp;letely replaced and have been trouble-free since.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:48 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by JZ

Plus, everytime one of us buys a gas-guzzling, 9-11mpg SUV we support the dependency of our nation on Middle Eastern oil.

Actually, we only get about 10% of our oil from the Middle East so we really aren't that dependent. The reason why trouble in that area affects us is because the rest of the world, mainly Europe and Asia get like 50% of their oil from the Middle East. Since we are now in the global economy, when they suffer, we suffer as well.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Drifting

I still want to know who the hell went through 5 trannys!
Old 06-12-2002, 01:11 PM