2003 CL Type S and 2003 base CL

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL Type S and 2003 base CL

Hey everyone im new to this so bear with me please. I have a 2003 Acura CL type S and a 2003 Baseline Acura CL what all would I have to take from my Acura type S to put on my Baseline Acura to make it a Type-S? I'm really looking for all the performance and handling upgrades I can do to my baseline from the Type-S. They're both 5-speed automatic cars. What should I pull off the Type-S to put on the Baseline? Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Glen Adams
What should I pull off the Type-S to put on the Baseline?
J32A2 engine and the transmission in one big 'lump', if it (the transmission) is in better shape.

Type-S ECU and most likely the under dash harness(es), I'm not sure about the fuse boxes. The driver side under dash IMRC module unit as well. I only say that in order to help facilitate an easy 'plug & play' transition with the electrics.

If you take the dash harness and fuse boxes, and if the dash needs to be removed to set up the harness, you may want to take the Type-S gauge cluster.

As you go along with the swap, you may find some other things; however, those are the 'main bits' to transform the CL-P into a Type-S. It would be extremely prudent to invest in a service manual. If they still work, there are free PDF downloads here on the forum, you just have to search; otherwise, one can be purchased on the link below for $20+.

Acura CL 3.2 2001, 2002, 2003 Service Manual | AutoManualSource

Good Luck!

Last edited by zeta; 09-29-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:11 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl help

Thanks for the input. I wish it was as simple as just swap motor and trans. The reason im doing this is bc the base model runs very strong and shifts perfect. The type s i broke the timing belt at 7k rpm and bent valves and cracked pistons and the trans is weak. I regret beating the hell out of it like I did........ I didnt know what i had. Ive already swapped complete interior with instrument cluster. i had the navigation dash in my type s. Now in the base model. Ive swapped complete suspension front and rear exhaust with cat delete to resonator and no mufflers straight piped out the back. ( will add mufflers soon as i can afford some). Ive swapped the throttle body and a self made cold air intake. Ecu will be next I think. Do you know if the intake plenum or fuel rails will help with any gains? I'm kinda on a time limit to get rid of the type s or to find somewhere else to store it bc it's at my parents house and they are not happy ive tore it apart claiming the cops will fine them. So im trying to get as much info and better parts from the type s as possible as quick as possible. Also if anyone needs any parts for these I have them more than likely bc both cars were extremely well maintained and full of new parts. THANKS FOR THE HELP😁
Old 09-30-2019, 01:06 AM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
The easiest way is to just swap the blocks and be done with it. You will get the power of the higher compression cls motor but, still run the CL ecm. You would lose some upper rpm range, have a little more restrictive exhaust, and head but that's only at higher rpms, during normal driving it should be much better and better mpg.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I doing this swap but with a 6 speed manual trans, I would get manual trans, shifter assembly, clutch assembly a braided clutch line, ECU and manual harness. I swear it would be worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (03-28-2020)