2003 Acura CL

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Kahn Man

Well I (along with everyone else) have done more than enough speculating. I am not in the Honda Marketing Dept, so I don't know what their practice is regarding publishing hp. LET'S JUST WAIT AND SEE!

And you know what? I don't give a flying fvck. I have 33 more lease payments on the CL, 36 on the TL, two classic Fords and a free Ford Taurus from work. I don't need no stinkin' manual!!
well. nothing wrong with speculating...but i might agree...im not sure if it doesnt make the waiting harder however if it gets my mind off RES and MMII then its a good thing
Old 02-19-2002, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good evening all. I am the "source" that Snook used in his post. I am associated with American Honda and am close to people in the know.

First off, there are reasons for my anonymity on this board, but I'm going to share the scope of what I do know. Snook is a good friend, and I thought I would pass along some info in conversation with him, but it seems as if he's been discredited for what I told him on the phone this morning.

First off, initial reports to me were that the car would approach 300hp, however it may very well be set to 260hp for the production model. Reason? During tests, the car kept ripping motor mounts out on acceleration no matter what designs were tried. This car is a SERIOUS screamer. It's also safe to say that there is going to be a very limited production 6-speed manual TL Type-S coming within a year to compete with the BMW 5 series. This will be truly the fastest production Acura produced, save the NSX.

The next vehicle that will be entering the Acura lineup will be a 4-door sedan to fill the gap between the RSX and TL. Most likely it will be a version of the European Accord. Look for this inside the next 2-3 years.

When any further developments take hold, I will make sure that Tim gets the scoop on what is going on, and pass it along to the members of this board.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Kamakiri
It's also safe to say that there is going to be a very limited production 6-speed manual TL Type-S coming within a year to compete with the BMW 5 series. This will be truly the fastest production Acura produced, save the NSX.
Sounds COOL …..and EXPENSIVE:thumbsdn:, but I’m not waiting another year.

Shawn S
Old 02-19-2002, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear

I would have revised my statement slightly, but it appears I'm only allowed to revise for 15 minutes after I post.....very odd.

It should read..."The upcoming CL-S will be the fastest Acura ever produced, save the NSX."
Old 02-19-2002, 08:43 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Kamikiri You are a messanger from God. Now, tell me, does Honda plan to use these upcoming models to move Acura upscale to compete with MB and BMW, or are they gonna stay Buick competitors (sorry guys, no flames, but Acura is not up to the standards of MB or BMW in terms of quality or service)
Old 02-19-2002, 08:48 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSAddict
Kamikiri You are a messanger from God. Now, tell me, does Honda plan to use these upcoming models to move Acura upscale to compete with MB and BMW, or are they gonna stay Buick competitors (sorry guys, no flames, but Acura is not up to the standards of MB or BMW in terms of quality or service)

From what i understand Bimmer service sucks ass. Maybe not up to the quality mark finish wise. But our cars cost 10k less.
Bimmers are goin back to the dealer ALL THE TIME. Even mercedes...lots of computer problems.

Wow, i never thought i would be defending a car company.WTF
Old 02-19-2002, 09:58 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My fault guys, I didn't realize those changes in hp were made during the gen run for those cars, its all good

Ne ways, i'm hoping for a 6-speed 0-60 of 5.7-5.8 w/ a good launch If thats the case I can have those 330s for breakfast, lunch and dinner However, if the pre-production 6-speed could only handle 260hp, does that mean we won't be able to put the s/c in there?
Old 02-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Between RES and the Comptech supercharger, I don't believe anything until I see it for myself!!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 10:12 PM
Banned

What's the problem with the motor mounts? Yeah, we have a great engine, but its not like this is the most powerful engine any company has ever attempted to install in a car. What do the muscle car guys do? Of course, they're not FWD, but still. Even Cadilac has a 300HP FWD car.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:41 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mdaniel
What's the problem with the motor mounts? Yeah, we have a great engine, but its not like this is the most powerful engine any company has ever attempted to install in a car. What do the muscle car guys do? Of course, they're not FWD, but still. Even Cadilac has a 300HP FWD car.

Caddy platform's design inherently accomodates 300hp?? Dunno....

I guess the chasis/motor mounts were designed for a 260hp vehicle? Could this 300hp figure be from engine modifications which acura was going to include in the '03 release? As the motor mounts etc., weren't able to keep the power(now dispersing through the chasis of the car because the car is lighter and more power is getting to the ground because of the manual) under control, Acura had to scrap bringing out the big whompin stick(engine modifications) and keep the same '01, '02 engine minus those modifications?

I HIGHLY suspect we will see an engine output the likes of the 3.2L-i6 M3 engine 333hp/230ftlbs of torque in the redesigned CLS.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

I HIGHLY suspect we will see an engine output the likes of the 3.2L-i6 M3 engine 333hp/230ftlbs of torque in the redesigned CLS.
Lets hope so
Old 02-19-2002, 10:59 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by unsure

Lets hope so
I think Acura will. Acura needs to have something that will bring it to the minds of consumers that's affordable luxary and sport. I think it's done a excellent job with the current CL/TL lineup. However, what Acura now needs to do is bring that distinct SPORTY feel to their main goal, that is luxary. More power and Manual transmissions in the CL/TL will give Acura some satisfaction of compeating with BMW in options but beating it in price.

Look at BMW. Each of the different makes has a "bland", i use that term very lightly, car and the more sporty versions of those makes. 325 and 330ci, 525 and 540, and the 740 series.

I'm not saying that Acura will want to go head to head with BMW in every catagory because Acura will lose it's consumer base. However, Acura can steal sales from BMW and continue to grow as a company
Old 02-19-2002, 11:55 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

I'm not saying that Acura will want to go head to head with BMW in every catagory because Acura will lose it's consumer base. However, Acura can steal sales from BMW and continue to grow as a company
You are 1oo% correct man. Acura was using that belief in the early 90s and at one point Acura was regarded in the same way as lexus and bmw. However, we all know how they screwed themselves in the mid 90s However the general public has a very positive view on the "new" Acura (i use this loosely). Models like th MDX, rsx, and the cl/tl reinforce this (+) image, however i have a feeling if the new Rl and NSX set their respective classes on fire like the way the cl/tl/mdx/rsx has then soon we'll see Acura become somewhat like a japanese BMW, and def. be regarded higher then infiniti. My opinion, if ne 1 disagrees do so politely
Old 02-20-2002, 12:03 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

I can't see why these engine mounts would represent such problems? I see many integras (B18b/c) w/ turbo w/over 250hp@ the wheels so i guess if these teg owners used aftermarket mounts (which i doubt), it means we can prob get some for the CL ( i hope). Also the cl is light years a head of the G3 teg in terms of structural rigidity and stiffness, i've driven both and the diff. is day & nite.

In effect, i guess we should be able 2 put the s/c in there (hopefully it'll drop 0-60 by.3-.5 secs )
Old 02-20-2002, 09:18 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I can't see why these engine mounts would represent such problems? I see many integras (B18b/c) w/ turbo w/over 250hp@ the wheels so i guess if these teg owners used aftermarket mounts (which i doubt), it means we can prob get some for the CL ( i hope). Also the cl is light years a head of the G3 teg in terms of structural rigidity and stiffness, i've driven both and the diff. is day & nite.

In effect, i guess we should be able 2 put the s/c in there (hopefully it'll drop 0-60 by.3-.5 secs )
Possible. Also it might be the structural phycis of an in line piston v. slanted--excuse the poort terminology--piston? However, may i suggest that Acura knew that the teg's would be modded? Maybe not at first but after the import scene really started to take off?? Also, the teg has been offered to the japaneese market and tuners in japan for years so the design of the chasis is built for it? The ITR for example. Everything i've been told is that car is race ready. I can take that car from the show room to the track.

CLS has never been offered in Japan and the Acura thought it was going to be the Middle aged dude who can't quite afford the monster penis car so he'll get the CLS. In Acura's opinion this guy doesn't really care about modifications or hardcore peformance because he's just happy to be out the minivan and 4 door sedan.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:13 AM
Honkey

so....any word on a bodykit?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by 4pumpedCL
so....any word on a bodykit?
My thoughts exactly...If the damn thing doesn't come out soon I'm gonna FLIP!!!!!!!!!!!

this is ridiculous. Acura could be making a fortune off the body kit for our cars!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 12:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by TypeSKid

My thoughts exactly...If the damn thing doesn't come out soon I'm gonna FLIP!!!!!!!!!!!

this is ridiculous. Acura could be making a fortune off the body kit for our cars!!!
They could but i don't think acura will ever release a bodykit for the current CL for a few reasons. I think the 6speed was a move that acura didn't want to make until the redesign but the clamor from this board and industry criticism forced acura's hand. There's a redesign coming.

The only shot we have is if/when Mugen really starts to release products in the states. Currently, i believe there is 1 dealer in Wisconsin? Don't hold your breath. The best bet is to pester Wings West until they stop taking our calls and then we must camp out infront of their building
Old 02-20-2002, 02:20 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

the Middle aged dude who can't quite afford the monster penis car
Oh shit, thats the funniest thing i've heard all day Those cars are dime a dozen here in long island, NY lol

In Acura's opinion this guy doesn't really care about modifications or hardcore peformance because he's just happy to be out the minivan and 4 door sedan
I agree with you on that, I just want to see what comptech's solution to this is(regarding the motor mounts)...
Old 02-20-2002, 02:26 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Oh shit, thats the funniest thing i've heard all day Those cars are dime a dozen here in long island, NY lol

I agree with you on that, I just want to see what comptech's solution to this is(regarding the motor mounts)...

Hehe yeah Although as most people on this board will agree most of the CLS i've seen have been younger owners. HOwever, recently i've seen the older owners out in force so maybe acura's marketing campaign is paying off.

BTW, welcome to the board! I see that you're pretty new around here.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:58 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Thanks for the welcome man. U seem mad cool and always have intelligent and informative posts/replies I drive an Integra now but would like to get a 6speed CL, however my dad doesn't want me to b/c he can't drive manual and doesn't want 2 learn, but might need 2 use my car once in a while :'(
lol
Old 02-22-2002, 08:41 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Thanks for the welcome man. U seem mad cool and always have intelligent and informative posts/replies I drive an Integra now but would like to get a 6speed CL, however my dad doesn't want me to b/c he can't drive manual and doesn't want 2 learn, but might need 2 use my car once in a while :'(
lol
well sir thank you for the compliment As my signature says i have the '01 and love it. ALthough the manual is really calling me. We'll see. Getting the '03 would really be a huge financial thing unless i can find a buy for the '01.