2003 Accord V6, 240 HP, 6-speed stick....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:17 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Accord V6, 240 HP, 6-speed stick....

What the heck, with a new body and those spec...240HP and 6-speed the V6 Accord coupe would kill the CL sales...

A lot of CL buyerswould be swayed to buy the V6 accord instead of the CL

The 2003 CL should have been upgraded more to diffrentiate itself from the accord V6 coupe.

The V6 got almost all CL features less the NAV. NAV could also be offered as an option
Old 01-17-2002, 10:37 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
yea, Honda/Acura is pulling a Nissan/Infiniti
Old 01-17-2002, 10:38 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget about killing sales, they will also kill us in speed.

But, that means something serious will have to be in the works for the new CL.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:40 AM
Drifting

whats it going to look like?
Old 01-17-2002, 10:47 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Maybe something like this, not bad IMHO:

Old 01-17-2002, 10:48 AM
Retired Post Whore

The car looks like a camry and current accord blended together!
Old 01-17-2002, 10:50 AM
CL 6 speeder

your source?

How do you know this information?
Old 01-17-2002, 10:51 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

www.V6accord.com and make a quick google search for "20003 Accord V6"
Old 01-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Mr. PC

Originally posted by JZ
Forget about killing sales, they will also kill us in speed.

But, that means something serious will have to be in the works for the new CL.
How do you figure it will kill us in speed? Does anybody know the displacement or torque specs? If they use the 3.2L I would imagine it will have less torque than the CL.

And is that a picture of a concept CRX?? Looks a lot like the RSX but probably a lot lighter. That'll be interesting if they bring that car back.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

This will piss me off!

All i have to say is, that damn honda accord six speed better not be faster that my auto cls. I would be highly upset with honda/acura for that shit. Imagine our lesser cousin accords beating us. I will hate to race an 03 stock accord and lose.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Now we'll know what RL owners felt when the current CL/TL's were released...

More power and almost all the amenities for less money? :'(
Old 01-17-2002, 01:16 PM
aka davo-tsx

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Maybe something like this, not bad IMHO:

That's a picture of the European Accord which has always looked different. I like it better than the current Accord. Looks like Benz style mirrors with the signals on the tips. I guess everyone is going to those triangular headlights now.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Kill CL sales? CL sales have been dismal. Someone on the tl boards said the dealers can't give them away. Thats coo though, i rarely see other cl's in Portland. We are the few and the proud.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:10 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

I feel violated after hearing this shit!

I guess I do have no choice but to wait another year to upgrade me car, just to see which one is going to be a better value for me. I'd hate to have Accord on my car, it'll make me look like a family man or something. Nothing wrong with it, it just ain't me!
Old 01-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Pro

if honda/acura pulls this shit i will be pissed....it is like stabbing us in the back. the accord better not be faster, or else i will never buy a honda/acura again.

-briancl
Old 01-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You guys must really hate getting a new computer then eh? The auto industry will move forward. Even if this is true, don't you think the 2005 CL will be even better?

There is only one way to cure your concern ... LEASE ... that's what I am doing now. Had the CLS for 2 years, now have an RSX-S (33 months) ... just about when that runs up ... time for the 2005 CL Type S

I personally think it is great that Honda can make their best selling car even better !! Just means more attention to Honda/Acura for good products. My 2 cents.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by mattg
Kill CL sales? CL sales have been dismal. Someone on the tl boards said the dealers can't give them away. Thats coo though, i rarely see other cl's in Portland. We are the few and the proud.
He's right....I talked to my salesperson last week and he said the CL is selling terribly, everyone wants the 4 door.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
no matter what honda does, there's always people who will be pissed and claim "oh, i'll never buy a honda again! blah blah blah!"

if honda made the new accord weak and uncompetitive, then one side will say the accords a failure and can't compete with the altima.

on the other hand if the new accord is competitive, then you'll get the people who'll cry and say honda is screwing them 'cuz it's so close to the cl-s now.

what do you expect from 2 cars that are going to be so marginally close in price? especially considering the 2003 accord is BRAND NEW and the cl-s is going to be 3 years old?

go buy a bmw. go buy a lexus. go buy an infiniti. i wonder what those is300 auto owners are saying..."oh, i'm not buying a lexus again 'cuz they released the 5spd after i bought mine!"

or "i'm never buying a bmw again 'cuz i just bought a 328i and now they come out with a 330!"

or "i'm never buying an infiniti again 'cuz i just bought an i30 and now there's an i35".

i must feel for those lexus es250 owners...they'll probably never buy a lexus again considering toyota screwed them by coming out with the '97 camry
Old 01-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Subie Dubie

Good points mrdeeno. We'll never be satisfied. The new Infiniti G35 isn't even out yet, but by September the coupe will be released with 20 more ponies.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:30 PM
Pro

my bad, i understand what you guys are saying. let's just hope they improve the cl!

-briancl
Old 01-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Whatsup. I agree w/provench that improving the accord for 2003 will only be better for the next gen cl/tl. I work at a Honda dealership & drive the accord EX-v6 alot. My point is that when the 98 accord Ex-v6 came out alot of people were like what good is a 3.2tl (98), esp. since it just has only heated seats & mirrors as things u couldn't get on the EX-v6. These people also said that Acura shot themselves in the foot and wre going straight to hell. Trust me, since I've driven the 97 3.2TL, the 98EX-v6 (current gen), is a lot better than that car in so many respects its not even funny, that tl was only better than that accord in terms of quality of interior materials (by a very little margin). Then Acura came out the G2 Tl's in 99 which I have also drove which just blew away the current accord in many respects (driving dynamics, rigidity, std feat.). I've driven the cls and tls and these cars only further separate themselves from the Accord. Point is: look forward to the next gen cl/tl and even accord esp. b/c they'll prob. blow away the currents gen's. esp. b/c of Honda's renewed emphasis on driving dynamics. So people, no offense but take it easy before u go Honda/Acura bashing esp. if u haven't though abt. Hondas past track record. (sorry 4 the long post )
Old 01-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Instructor

i think the main issue here is how close the accord and the cl/tl will become.. i wouldn't pay 5k more for 20hp or whatever.. and i wouldnt buy a fwd car with 300hp either.. honda needs to truly separate the 2 makes from each other. you shouldn't be able to get a 'luxury' car priced so close to an accord.. they should do much more to differentiate the two lines. create new switches and control for the acuras, its embarrassing having the same window controls as a 15k civic.. develop an awd platform (they already have one for the mdx) for the sedans/coupes. rwd sucks in winter and fwd isn't much better.. and sure the cl/tl feel better the current accords. but after a year or so the cl experiences a softening and reverts into an accord pretty much.. honda needs to give people a reason to put down the extra dough for the acura.. and a simple turning up of the power dial isn't gonna cut it..
Old 01-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by nt5k
i think the main issue here is how close the accord and the cl/tl will become.. i wouldn't pay 5k more for 20hp or whatever..
but now you're comparing cars of different generations and of course the newer generation of one that was previously lower will be much closer to the older generation of the other especially considering they are already so close in price.

do you want honda to go backwards instead?
Old 01-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

i think people are copmlaining about this for the sake of complaining. it's like those anti-war people who are protesting the war in afghanistan...their reasons for being anti-war are personal and not even based on fact most of the time.

so for all those complaining that honda is screwing them, why don't you present a theoretical and feasible situation that would keep you satisfied and let the company develop new and better products?

if they release the new accord and next gen tl/cl at the same time, you'll still complain because the new accord will still be better than your current cl/tl.

if they release a new cl/tl before the new accord, they will STILL release a new accord later and you will complain that it will be better than your current cl/tl.

if they release a new cl/tl that is so much much better than the new accord, you will still complain because the new accord will still be better than your current cl/tl. plus the fact that if the new cl/tl is that much better than the new accord, you'll probably complain about it costing so much more than a new accord plus the fact that it'll cost so much more than your current tl/cl plus the fact that your car is now "devalued", etc. etc. etc..

the only option for them is to keep the current accord forever without improvements.

and last but not least, there are no concrete facts on what the new accord will be like and everyone's jumping to conclusions that it'll be so much better than your tl or cl. reminds me of the new altima scare.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by mrdeeno

but now you're comparing cars of different generations and of course the newer generation of one that was previously lower will be much closer to the older generation of the other especially considering they are already so close in price.

do you want honda to go backwards instead?
you missed the second sentence where i also said i wouldn't but a 300hp fwd either. comparing the last accord v6 (200hp) and if the next acura model maintains the 60hp increase.. i personally don't give a rats ass what they do to the accord. it can have more hp for all i care.. im not caught up in this 'oh theres a better car then mine, my manhood is being challenged' rubbish.. i'm just not sure the acura line is separate enough from the honda line..
simple adding more poweer to the platform isnt gonna really help, because they are getting close to the limits of how much power a fwd car should have..

look at lexus.. other then the es300 every model is rwd and is challenging the bmw/mb crowd.. the only thing the cl/tl is going against is the maxima/e35.. if acura wants to be known for something other then the integra/rsx they need to add something (rwd/awd) to the rest of the line to give people a reason to spend the extra money.. for 8k less i would have been happy with the 3.5 altima if it was available when i was shopping..
Old 01-20-2002, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by nt5k
look at lexus.. other then the es300 every model is rwd and is challenging the bmw/mb crowd.. the only thing the cl/tl is going against is the maxima/e35.. if acura wants to be known for something other then the integra/rsx they need to add something (rwd/awd) to the rest of the line to give people a reason to spend the extra money.. for 8k less i would have been happy with the 3.5 altima if it was available when i was shopping..
Hey, guess what? The TL/CL does directly compete with the ES300. Why would Acura want to change it's formula when it's already so successful? The TL is already America's most popular entry luxery sedan. The main reason why that is, is because of it's price and equipement level. Acura already has plans to make a RWD sedan. They're having a new RL in a few years with a V8 and RWD.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by mattg
see thats what i dont get. there are sooo many CLs here. The day I bought mine, they sold like 30 of them. Theres like at least 5 CLs within a few block radius here. There were also like 10-15 of them at work's parking lot.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:53 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Wow!

A few people that have their head on straight, (Provench, MrDeeno and a few others) and a bunch of grownups acting like little kids because the kid next door MIGHT get cooler toys than you do for Christmas.

Like some others pointed out, their is no guarantee the Accord will come out with 240hp. The only guarentee at this point is a 225hp TL/CL base engine. The 240hp is pure speculation so far.

1st of all if it wasn't for cars like the Accord and Civic making Honda major bank every year, you think they would even be able to make cars like the CL that they are probably LOSING money on every year because of poor sales? (I don't know that for a fact but I'll go ahead and speculate like everyone else likes to do)

How about pulling your head out of the sand and getting a good whiff of reality before you start slamming on Honda/Acura next time.

You guys should be HAPPY if they make a 240hp Accord because that would most likely mean Honda/Acura would release a base CL/TL very soon that is at least as powerful if not MORE powerful than the Accord.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:19 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I feel by the time the next Accord is out the next Tl is out...

I would find myself driving a real sport sedan:

4WD
4-Doors
SMG
NAV
340-360 HP, a 13s car.
for less than $45K

The candidate so far, is the next S4 (just waiting to see if it would get the SMG and a real NAV).

Unless of course Acura would beat that with their next TLS.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:04 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Bunch of whiners......
Old 01-21-2002, 04:20 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Paul

see thats what i dont get. there are sooo many CLs here. The day I bought mine, they sold like 30 of them. Theres like at least 5 CLs within a few block radius here. There were also like 10-15 of them at work's parking lot.
The numbers aren't good....

As per Honda, 2001 CL sales were 18,993 units... Compare that to 69,484 TL's.

The best year for CL sales was 1997, when they sold 28,939...

Clearly the CL is not a big seller.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:49 PM
K L E A N

Thank you!

Accord compareable to cls?? I'm glad I held out with the Legend Coupe... I like the CL-S but if the accord is comparable it won't be in design, style, and with mod can help preformance on auto Cl-S's..