2003 Accord EX V6 or 2003 CL-S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Accord EX V6 or 2003 CL-S?

Hi All,

I have been seriously considering the CLS ever since Acura released the 6 spd. A few weeks ago I test drove the CLS 6spd and was quite impressed, which made me want to get the car more.

Well last week I was at the Honda dealer getting my 97 Civic serviced and they had the new Accord V6 EX 6speed coupe in the showroom. It looked nice esp, the new interior, so I decided WTF and asked for a test drive. They wouldn't let me drive the 6 spd, as they said it's "rare" but I did drive the V6 EX with auto.

Well after the test drive, my desire for the CL has diminished a little. So I wanted to ask you all for some perhaps CL biased opinion on the two Talk me into the CL!

Here is my opinion on the two.

Exterior: Well both aren’t the prettiest cars but CL has HID so slight advantage to the CL

Interior: I think the CL has the nicer overall int, though the Accord was surprisingly nice with comfy seats, carbon fiber trim, plus it has dual zone ac and voice recognition navi with a bigger screen, so I say its a draw.

Performance: This is hard to say as I drove the auto Accord and 6spd CLS. If I get the Accord it will definitely be the 6spd. The Accord pulled hard. It is rated at 240 HP vs 260 HP for the CL but weighs less. I think the CL is a little faster though, and also has available aftermarket mods. The Accord has an integrated exhaust manifold/close coupled cat, so I don't think a SC or even headers will be possible. Advantage CL.

Ride/Handling: Also hard to say as drove in different places. I think the Accord had a slightly better ride, seemed more composed, so I have to say advantage Accord.

Price/ Cache: Well obviously the CL is the more prestigious of the two, and is a lot rarer seen on the road. If the two were the same price, I would go for the CL without question. However the MSRP is almost 5k more for the CL. Yah I can afford the CL, but 5k isn’t chump change.

So what do you all think? Convince me that the CL is worth the extra 5k!

Scott
Old 03-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: 2003 Accord EX V6 or 2003 CL-S?

Originally posted by Scott Type-S
You are going to pay MSRP for that Accord 6spd, they might even want over MSRP currently. You can get killer deals on the CL, in the end......it won't be a $5k difference, nowhere near that.

So, take price out of the comparison. You have to decide which one you like better.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 2003 Accord EX V6 or 2003 CL-S?

Originally posted by Scott Type-S

Scott
Let me be the devil's advocate for this one. I'd go with the Accord. It may not matter to you, but with the current economy, every penny counts...TO YOUR MODS! With the extra money you save, you can definitely afford the OEM body kit, a new set of rims/tires, 6000k HIDs and a good quality tint for the Accord. Plus there are features in the Accord that the CL/TL doesnt have...like automated window-down using the remote, a telescoping wheel, a better NAV, dual zone climate controls, and a better design key fob.

Other than the service and support you'd get with an Acura, I'd have to side with the Accord EX V6 on this one. Sorry guys.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:09 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I drove everything before I got my CLS 6 speed. THe Accord 6 speed was very, very fun to drive. Fast, and quick. No complaints with it, Honda makes great cars and the Accord 6 speed is a winner IMO. So then I had to go back and redrive the CLS 6 speed and I bought a CLS 6 speed 2 weeks ago. I always drive Acuras, 2 Legend Coupes before , and a Prelude before that.
I feel the CLS is a more exclusive car, and feels very fast too. The HIDs are one of the best features after the engine and shifter.
The front of the Accord coupe is not my taste. The CL is not the best style either but I think it is more classic and sophisticated looking.
Either car is great, but I prefer the more exclusive CLS. They may not make them anymore too, and the Accord design will be around for 4 years at least, and there will be la lot of Accord coupes, mostly not 6 speed.
As far as price I got my CLS cheaper than the Accord Coupe 6 speed. I got a used one at the dealer (3400mi) and a 5 year warranty. I've seen 2 other used 03s there, and they have new CLS 6 speeds marked $27,999. If you shop well you can find a CLS for the same or cheaper than the Accord, The Accord is in very small quantities, and the CLS is numerous compared to the Accord.
So get what you like, but price should not be a factor really. If the CLS is dropped this year as the rumors go, a 6 speed CLS will be rarer than the still sought after very rare 6 speed Legends, and Legends with manual shift were offered every year from 87 to 95.
I love the CLS, my Legend buddies say they hate it but I've learned to love it, 6 Speed ONLY!!!
Old 03-13-2003, 02:02 AM
I love my G sedan

I like the front of CL more than the front of Accord coupe, but I like the back of Accord coupe more than that of CL. Overall, I like CL more so I recommend you to get it.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro

The Acura warranty is also better than the Honda's. 4/50k vs 3/36k. I do like the Accord for 2 things I wish the Acura had, telescoping wheel and the seats go lower. The Honda has definitely closed the gap though. When I bought mine in 2000, the Accord wasnt even a contender.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:09 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,633 Posts
Originally posted by 123456SPEED
I always drive Acuras, 2 Legend Coupes before , and a Prelude before that.
I know you know that the prelude is a honda, so i'll let that little faux pax slide

I sense another thread that will turn long and ugly, but i hope im wrong.

You guys should all live in LA for a month. You'll learn whats its like when there is no such thing as an exclusive car! And I mean no such thing.

So with that in mind, Buy whichever one you like the best, thats what will make you happy in the end. And thats all that counts.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:51 AM
cl8
10th Gear

CLASSY????

Bro, driving an acura is being in the higher class of drivers. Driving an acura is being in the class of luxury. An accord is
being in that group of "kids" that dont have the appeal of
or appreciation of driving a classy car. lets face it a honda
will always be part of the blue colar famliy and chics like
white colar guys.....you can get laid with a women in an acura and with an accord you can get a girl!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Re: CLASSY????

Originally posted by cl8
Bro, driving an acura is being in the higher class of drivers. Driving an acura is being in the class of luxury. An accord is
white colar guys.....you can get laid with a women in an acura and with an accord you can get a girl!

Nicely put.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:52 PM

Re: CLASSY????

Originally posted by cl8
I guess...but perhaps some of us grew past the stage of "weekly clubbing" and no longer "hunt" so to speak. Some of us might already be established, married, and have kids, so the image thing doesn't really play a huge role. BTW, I consider an Acura to be the lowest in luxury name brands, so as long as you are not driving an RL or an NSX, you are just a regular guy/girl like everyone else.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:57 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,633 Posts
Re: Re: CLASSY????

Originally posted by edgalang
I guess...but perhaps some of us grew past the stage of "weekly clubbing" and no longer "hunt" so to speak. Some of us might already be established, married, and have kids, so the image thing doesn't really play a huge role. BTW, I consider an Acura to be the lowest in luxury name brands, so as long as you are not driving an RL or an NSX, you are just a regular guy/girl like everyone else.
Here Here Its true

And if you are driving around thinking using a car to try and get women then you must not have much a of a personality or a very small wang
Old 03-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

the cl has Limited slip diff that you cant get in the accord
Old 03-13-2003, 02:02 PM
cl8
10th Gear

the image thing is a huge factor buddy, if that was not the case then you and I would be driving a ford focus or pinto to save money!!! acura is not a benz but is a classy car that can meet and exceed cars such as lex and infiniti.
i bought my cl only because i got a good deal not because
i felt i was driving a benz. therefore, if acura is lower class
of luxurious cars then honda is shit, which we all know thats
bs.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:09 PM
cl8
10th Gear

THE CHIC THING WAS AN EXAMPLE, BUT I KNOW 95% OF GUYS WHO GET CHIS BECAUSE OF THERE RIDE, SO DONT FRONT
BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW GUYS FLAUNT THERE SHIT.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by cl8
the image thing is a huge factor buddy, if that was not the case then you and I would be driving a ford focus or pinto to save money!!!
i bought my cl only because i got a good deal...
A good deal is the MAIN reason why I got a TLS. I almost live and die by the "best bang for the buck" statement. So...if 1 day, Hyundai can come up with something that will match or exceed the performance, luxury, and safety of my TLS, yet keep the price reasonable, then why not?

Sure I like to "flaunt" my shit once in a while, but getting girls?...hmmm...usually guys looks at each other's ride more often than girls do, and that a REAL girl would be interested in you waaay before she even sees what you drive. Maybe it's different in Miami, but here in CA, whistling at random women on the street while driving is considered harrasment.

P.S.
I hate to admit it...but even my girl straight out told me that she wouldnt date a guy who drives a station wagon. So although your statements might hold some truth...I still don't agree...oh well...that's life.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:15 PM
cl8
10th Gear

now your making sense to me bro, sad but true but chics first impression is the mans outlook exterior wise.......so guys try
to pimp to get girls for tonight not for the next couple of months
in mia people are superficial.