2001 vs 2002 steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 05:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 vs 2002 steering

I just got my acid rain replacement car from Acura.
It's a 2002 and the steering has a different feeling to it .
It takes a little more effort than the 2001 more like my old GTI.
Has anyone else driven both years and noticed this
Old 10-24-2001, 07:58 AM
'Cooter

i know that the TL-S's have torque sensitive variable power assisted R&P steering, but i'm a bit unsure if the '02 CL-S's have it or if they're just like the '01 variable assisted R&P...if the '02 CL-S's DO have the torque sensitive steering, perhaps that's y u have the variance...at higher speeds, the steering does get quite sensitive.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Scooter
i know that the TL-S's have torque sensitive variable power assisted R&P steering, but i'm a bit unsure if the '02 CL-S's have it or if they're just like the '01 variable assisted R&P...if the '02 CL-S's DO have the torque sensitive steering, perhaps that's y u have the variance...at higher speeds, the steering does get quite sensitive.
Torque sensitive? Are you sure you don't mean speed sensitive? I've never heard of torque sensitive? I can understand varying steering sensitivites at different speeds, a la high assist at low speed and low assist at high speed. But you can get maximum torque at high speed and I don't know about you but I want my steering constant at high speed.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:22 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by bone_stock

Torque sensitive? Are you sure you don't mean speed sensitive? I've never heard of torque sensitive? I can understand varying steering sensitivites at different speeds, a la high assist at low speed and low assist at high speed. But you can get maximum torque at high speed and I don't know about you but I want my steering constant at high speed.
look at the TL specifications on the Acura website

here's what they said bout the RSX's torque sensitive steering:

Torque-Sensitive Power Steering
A "race-car" feel was a design priority for the RSX, and thus the steering system was optimized for outstanding precision and control with a new torque-sensitive system. Compared with the Acura Integra, the RSX features a quicker steering ratio for a more nimble handling response. Steering smoothness and directional stability are enhanced with a vibration-reducing, oil-filled damper in the steering box.

The rack and pinion torque-sensitive steering system of the RSX is equipped with a new variable-capacity power steering pump, which increases fuel economy by 0.5 percent.

Tracking stability is enhanced by the high-mounted steering box, which improves toe control by using long, high-mounted tie rods to steer the vehicle.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:31 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by bone_stock

I believe that "torque sensitive" relates to determining the effort the driver has to put into turning the steering wheel and adjusting the amount of assist the system generates accordingly. (so, it's the torque the driver applies to the wheel while turning it that gets detected.)