'03 type-S 1 yr from now, maybe

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 type-S 1 yr from now, maybe

Fellas, around this time next year after I'm all graduated and with a job hopefully, I plan on getting an '03 type S 6-speed of course, unless something newer/better wins my heart. So I've looked around at different dealers websites and cars.com and there doesnt really seem to be much out there. I'm guessing by this time next year more people will be trading their '03s in and I'll have more to pick from, right?

Also, what about navi...It looks like it would be cool to have, but once the novelty wears off, does anyone use it much? Also how much does navi make the price change on a used car? I'd like to find one with navi/6spd/spoiler/blue, but for now it looks like there's slim pickens out there. Will I have more to pick from next year?
Old 06-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say its safe to say that in a year more ’03 CL 6-speeds will be on the market. There's some out there right now so they're numbers will only grow with people coming off leases etc.

As for the Navi I have it in my 03 5A and I clearly state that if i didn't get the car with this option i'd be kicking myself.

Around town and in your local area you probably won't be using it much as generally people are familiar with their local area. Still though its a useful tool to have when looking for a local restaurant or other point of interest that you still may not be familiar with in your area.

I've made a couple out of trips to NJ and upstate NY and for me it was well worth the price of admission.

For example I take my car in for service at Park Ave Acura in NJ and the first time i went there the Navi was invaluable. I actually missed a turn and in 10 seconds the Navi had calculated how to get back on track. When i went back to pick up my car at night, in a TL loaner with no navi, i was asking for directions at the local gas stations. :o

Also another reason to get a car with Navi in the used car market is because this option doesn't hold much value. On our cars the Nav option is a $2k+ one when you buy it knew. When buying a CL used I’ve seen it make as little as $400-$500 when factored in to the buying price. A no brainer there.

And at the very least it looks really cool
Old 07-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing this one back bc I have more questions. I've searched around and it doesn't seem the AEM V2 is made for the 6-speed, but a lot of people have the comptech intake. Is it pretty much better than the regular AEM intake? Is the V2 coming later for the 6-spd?

Also, is comptech the only company that makes headers for the 6-speed? I've seen some companies like OBX make them for the autos but not the 6spd.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P

Also, is comptech the only company that makes headers for the 6-speed? I've seen some companies like OBX make them for the autos but not the 6spd.

there will be a comptech competitor for headers soon...
Old 07-28-2004, 10:52 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1. There is no V2 for the CL-S and it is doubtful they will make one. The Comptech is just as nice and gives about a 10hp gain.

2. Right now Comptech is the only company you can buy headers from with the 6 speed, but Stone supposedly is just about to come out with some for around $400.

There will never be a huge amount of 6 speeds out there, in my opinion. They didnt sell very many, and I would assume that the people that bought them knew what they were getting and want to hold onto them for a long time. Plus, they dont have the tranny probs that the 5AT's have, so they wont be dumped for reliability issues.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
I'm guessing by this time next year more people will be trading their '03s in and I'll have more to pick from, right?

I'll probably keep mine for awhile unless something new comes out that really grabs my attention (nothing out there now).

There are only about 3000 or so 6spds, but I still see alot for sale. CHeck out http://www.autotrader.com and do a advanced search for 2003 manuals CL's. I run that search locally to see where the dealers have 'em priced so I can guesstimate what my trade in value will be.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:13 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say your chances are better than even to find an '03 CLS 6MT a year from now. It's a keeper...