Is the '03 6-speed good to learn stick on???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002 | 01:21 PM
'Cooter

Is the '03 6-speed good to learn stick on???

i learned on a 80's Jetta, which is pretty tough, but it's been a while, and i don't have nearly enough experience in real world driving.
Old 05-18-2002 | 01:25 PM
The Creator

sure.

acura/honda manuals, IMO, are the best to learn with.

im certainly not a beginner... but im no expert... and i havent driven standard in years....

yesterday i spent half the day driving my friends 5-spd '02 325i... the other half a 6-spd '02 RSX....

id take the RSX transmission any day... its like slicing butter with a hot knife. top rate...

the bmw is like driving a truck.
Old 05-18-2002 | 01:33 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by soopa
sure.

acura/honda manuals, IMO, are the best to learn with.

im certainly not a beginner... but im no expert... and i havent driven standard in years....

yesterday i spent half the day driving my friends 5-spd '02 325i... the other half a 6-spd '02 RSX....

id take the RSX transmission any day... its like slicing butter with a hot knife. top rate...

the bmw is like driving a truck.
Yeah what this punk said, I learned to drive on a Porsche and it was the hardest fucking thing to learn on in the world. Then I drove my friends Accord 5 spd and it was so much easier to shift. IMO the Honda/Acura manuals are much easier to drive. i think the CLS should be a little tougher just cuase it is more a luxury car and heavier of a car too. But won't be much difference. Beats a manual Bimmer and def. beats a Manual Carrera or Boxster.
Old 05-18-2002 | 01:36 PM
Banned

The hardest part about the CL is the close gear spacing. Very easy for even an experienced driver to hit the wrong gear.
Old 05-18-2002 | 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I just learned how to drive stick yesterday on my buddies 2002 Civic Its was easy as hell! Fun little car too
Old 05-18-2002 | 01:46 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Scooter,
You gonna trade in the red rocket???????
Old 05-18-2002 | 01:52 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Cars to learn Stick on.

I've worked Valet parking for about 2 years now. I've driven pretty much every single car in stick you can imagine. In terms of learning stick here is the break down:

Acura/Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsu, Mazda, Kia, & Toyota/Lexus(even the IS): They are very easy to learn on and the clutches are soft as hell.

BMW, Audi/VW, are stiff, but not the toughest. The M5 has a clutch which you wouldn't expect to find in a BMW. It's not has soft as a Honda, but it's much softer than a standard BMW clutch. Audi's for some reason seem to be stiffer than VW, but not by alot. Personally I love VW tranny. Driving a bettle is more fun than driving a vette. LOL.

Volvo: Seem to be pretty soft, haven't driven many, most people get auto.

Saab: I personally don't like the clutches of Saab, they are strange, I can't explain it, but the clutches are both hard and soft. It's soft, then it gets hard.

Mercedes: If you want to learn ona Mercedes, the SLK 230 can come in stick. I got into one and i was like WTF. Most old people don't get stick. The SLK clutch is very similar to that of the M5.

Porsche: Don't even get into one. These are so damn stiff. They pop back up like a rocket. They are good for racing. YOu can slam through the gears on a porsche in no time. But don't try learning on one.

GM: The corvette is not that hard. The SS is actually very soft, not something i expected from that type of car. The shifter sucks though.

Supercars: Let's hope you don't get a chance to screw one up.

SUV: I wouldn't reccommend learning on a truck they are so annoying and the shifter is long as hell.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, it's just that I don't get to put much into this forum, and everyone else has a topic they know really well. This is the only thing i can really talk about that I have experience with.
Good luck learning.
Old 05-18-2002 | 01:57 PM
Unregistered Member

I learned to drive stick on my brand new 1987 Mustang GT.

I drove it home from the dealer (12 miles) without EVER driving stick before. I did, however, have my Dad in the passenger seat, just in case I spazzed out or something......

Needless to say, my tires had about 5000 miles worth of wear by the time I got home. That car has a serious combination of low-end torque and gearing.

Other than my CL (RIP), Escape, and current SMG M3, ALL my other cars have been stick shift.

I don't think I'll ever go back to another automatic tranny again, unless it's in an SUV.
Old 05-18-2002 | 02:14 PM
'Cooter

i need to train for the Z-Roadster 6-sp

Zapata:
don't think im trading in...i'd much rather do a private sale when i wanna get the Z...so my intention is to keep the exterior as flawless as possible (doin good post 3M thanx to dorkus malorkus Adam ) while preserving the interior (and original tranny too) as best as i can and sell my baby, possibly on here...God know everyone here has seen my baby at least once or twice
Old 05-18-2002 | 02:22 PM
Slam!

gear specing wasn't a problem for me
Old 05-18-2002 | 03:28 PM
Race Director

Re: Cars to learn Stick on.

Originally posted by Titand19
I've worked Valet parking for about 2 years now. I've driven pretty much every single car in stick you can imagine. In terms of learning stick here is the break down:

Acura/Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsu, Mazda, Kia, & Toyota/Lexus(even the IS): They are very easy to learn on and the clutches are soft as hell.

BMW, Audi/VW, are stiff, but not the toughest. The M5 has a clutch which you wouldn't expect to find in a BMW. It's not has soft as a Honda, but it's much softer than a standard BMW clutch. Audi's for some reason seem to be stiffer than VW, but not by alot. Personally I love VW tranny. Driving a bettle is more fun than driving a vette. LOL.

Saab: I personally don't like the clutches of Saab, they are strange, I can't explain it, but the clutches are both hard and soft. It's soft, then it gets hard.

Mercedes: If you want to learn ona Mercedes, the SLK 230 can come in stick. I got into one and i was like WTF. Most old people don't get stick. The SLK clutch is very similar to that of the M5.

Porsche: Don't even get into one. These are so damn stiff. They pop back up like a rocket. They are good for racing. YOu can slam through the gears on a porsche in no time. But don't try learning on one.

GM: The corvette is not that hard. The SS is actually very soft, not something i expected from that type of car. The shifter sucks though.

SUV: I wouldn't reccommend learning on a truck they are so annoying and the shifter is long as hell.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, it's just that I don't get to put much into this forum, and everyone else has a topic they know really well. This is the only thing i can really talk about that I have experience with.
Good luck learning.
Hey Man I think you did a good review, where I haven't driven all these cars in Stick, I have driven a few different ones. You nailed the Porsche dead on, I learned on a Porshce and wanted to give up I thought driving stick was the biggest pain in the ass, then I drove my friends Accord and I was like umm this really isn't bad.

Either way, nice write up man.
Old 05-18-2002 | 04:32 PM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

While Honda/Acura manuals are great, the best car to learn on is probably a Mazda Miata. Great shifter and great clutch...just my $.02.
Old 05-18-2002 | 08:53 PM
Team Owner

I've driven stick twice in my life. The first was in a 96 GT 4.6 and that clutch made my leg sore as hell. The next time was like a year later and it was on the last of the 280zx NA. It was 10x easier than the Stang thats for sure.
Old 05-18-2002 | 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Tom2, How do you like the SMG tranny??? Those seem to be the best of both worlds. Real manual control without a clutch. I'd like to see Acura/Honda come out with one.

Originally posted by Tom2
I learned to drive stick on my brand new 1987 Mustang GT.

I drove it home from the dealer (12 miles) without EVER driving stick before. I did, however, have my Dad in the passenger seat, just in case I spazzed out or something......

Needless to say, my tires had about 5000 miles worth of wear by the time I got home. That car has a serious combination of low-end torque and gearing.

Other than my CL (RIP), Escape, and current SMG M3, ALL my other cars have been stick shift.

I don't think I'll ever go back to another automatic tranny again, unless it's in an SUV.
Old 05-19-2002 | 12:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Cars to learn Stick on.

Originally posted by Titand19

Good luck learning.
welcome aboard. I agree with PgaTour, your post was good and informative.
Old 05-19-2002 | 12:42 AM